The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 4g63t / AWD 7g Build

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
Showing results 241 to 260 of 445
    You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Thats crazy.. Congrats!

Experienced TGC Member
    Yea man. This build has been a HUGE inspiration for me. Unfortunately i dont have access to a lift and this build would be an absolute nightmare without one. When i get rich ill do this build with a built tranny...... LOL

Thanks for the kind words :) Actually, I did most of the work in my garage crawling around on the floor. The only part we did on the lift was the exhaust, FMIC and gas tank.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

Experienced TGC Member
    Surely i will do this one day. Im so happy that you got your recognition man. Its truely a prize piece and i respect you for sticking with this and COMPLETING it. Keep us posted on future mods.

Inching my way closer to a rebuild...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_500wt_1182

I don't remember if I mentioned it but I've got an Evo 9 pump in and rewired now too.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

Experienced TGC Member
    if all goes accordingly this will be my next move. Already scoped out the whole entire gsx for 600 bucks. Plus my gf is paying half for parts and the other half for me working on her gst (building motor and swapping parts). So this build will be pretty pennyless for me. Im just not sure how the front driver side axle mounts. So ill be looking on this thread for help and whatnot.

You'll see how the axle mounts. It is pretty simple. It uses a two piece shaft with a bearing bolted to the back of the block right by the A/C pump.

Experienced TGC Member
    So when i start this will you be around for assistance? LOL

Probably not in your garage, no, but I'll be here and I'll help answer your questions :) As I've told others, the wiring is the tricky part. The mechanical bits are pretty straight forward.

Experienced TGC Member
    Well we got the car.. Any day now were going to gut it and get my awd swap off of it. Any updates with this?

Awesome. When do you think you'll get started? I have little to update. I've got my 245 summer tires back on the car and I went out to do some tuning the other day. I finally made the FPR I've been wanting to make so I needed a retune. The car is making boost much easier now. Unfortunately it is also leaking oil at an unhealthy rate. I'm getting price estimates and more info together so I can build my 4G64 bottom end this summer and refresh the head so it can all go together in the car. It looks like VISA will have to be my sponsor if I'm going to get it done this summer but I want a good engine in the car by next winter. I'm also keeping my eyes open for more supportive seats. 3kGT seats actually look decent and the width may be about right. Evo seats would be great but expensive. School and my new daughter have been keeping me out of the garage most of the winter so not much else going on.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eclipsh View Post
    Awesome. When do you think you'll get started? I have little to update. I've got my 245 summer tires back on the car and I went out to do some tuning the other day. I finally made the FPR I've been wanting to make so I needed a retune. The car is making boost much easier now. Unfortunately it is also leaking oil at an unhealthy rate. I'm getting price estimates and more info together so I can build my 4G64 bottom end this summer and refresh the head so it can all go together in the car. It looks like VISA will have to be my sponsor if I'm going to get it done this summer but I want a good engine in the car by next winter. I'm also keeping my eyes open for more supportive seats. 3kGT seats actually look decent and the width may be about right. Evo seats would be great but expensive. School and my new daughter have been keeping me out of the garage most of the winter so not much else going on.
    I wish you luck with your build man. It sounds awesome and your car has been an inspiration for me. IDK when im doing the build. My gf bought a piece of shit 2g 3 years ago we had the motor completely rebuilt and it sat till she could afford new piping and fmic. Ran it down the road 6 miles and boom! #3 rod snapped and fucked up a good motor (overboosted like crazy somehow). Now were rebuilding another 7 bolt with nippon pistons and 1g rods. The car has a bent chassis and its in really bad shape so she and i decided to go in half on the gsx. She gets the shell and i get the awd swap. It seems pointless to some but the gsx will be a gst and the galant will be a estx.. LOL. Hopefully by this winter ill have my 6 bolt built and ready to go in that way i do the motor swap and awd swap all at once like you did. If you dont stick around im going to need some contact info. LOL

I'm happy to know I've inspired you. I'll be around to help with questions as you build :)

I'm up as a candidate for COTM. Go vote! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=41287

The '64 block is off at the machine shop now along with the pistons and rods. I'm putting together my list of parts to buy and getting plans together for tucking the engine harness a bit while everything is out. I've also completed a retrofit of both front headlights with Bosch projector housings.

I also stripped the front subframe out from under the Talon. This summer I will use it for building a k-brace under the front end to help tighten things up. I'll also be making a 3-point strut tower brace.

Experienced TGC Member
    Good luck for COTM. Im up as well!

Quote Originally Posted by eclipsh View Post
    This summer I will use it for building a k-brace under the front end to help tighten things up. I'll also be making a 3-point strut tower brace.
    couple questions. You have a 94 right?
    Are you using the original 94 control arms?
    the upper control arms on the 94 and most 95's are stamped steel and are not boxed in like the eclipse arms.
    It took me YEARS to realize this.
    I think the rear lower control arms are this was as well.

You can always install the 8ggalant/3geclipse rear suspension arms as they are tubular and much more rigid than the 7g arms.

Did you ever install the prothane master kit?

If you don't build your own, I'd recommend sourcing a 8g vr4 strut brace.
    it is original Mitsubishi equipment so you can count on quality. Not only does it tie the strut towers together, but it ties the upper control arms into the same bracing. I never really felt the benefit of a strut bar until i slapped this bitch on. Its insane.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Shadow, good luck to you too :)

D, I do have a 94. I used the rear arms off the 95 Talon donor. All the front arms are off the Galant though. I'll take a look at them and see if they need to be boxed. If so I can get that taken care of. Installing the prothane rear bushings will be one of the other summer projects depending on if I get the 8g/3g arms for the rear. The local yard wants over $100 for the set. I may just box in the stock rear arms as well.

I'll be building my own bar and mounts for the strut brace. I'm toying with trying to do it out of rectangular tubing rather than round as it would resist deflection much more than a round bar. With the bar doing most of it's work under tension rather than compression it may not matter. I know I'll be building the k-brace out of rectangular pieces. Triangulating it to the firewall should really tighten up the front end.

I keep wishing there was a way to make a master cylinder stopper for our cars.

I used to have a 4 point JDM Ralliart brace(k brace) made of oval aluminum that tied the compression arms to the control arms from both sides together.
    I sold it to MKO a while back. Was a sweet piece. Weighed next to nothing, but you could stand on it and it wouldn't flex.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Master cylinder stopper?

Yeah, I saw that JDM brace. It is what gave me the idea to make mine the way I'm going to :) Very nice piece.

First off, thanks to everyone who voted. It looks like I won COTM for May.

Second, I'm getting together a parts list for my '64 build. I decided to pull apart the oil pump I removed from the '64 block to see if it was still good. I think it really did have 300k miles on it. Take a look at the wear:

None of the scratches are particularly deep but they are sufficient for me to want a new pump and front cover. So much for saving $100-200.

Surprisingly enough the crank was in great shape. It should just need a thorough polish.

Looks like the parts list will be:

Bearings (ordered by machine shop)
    Gasket set (cometic head gasket?)
    Head bolts (ARP?)
    Timing kit (kevlar '63 belt?)
    Oil Pump
    Water Pump
    Brian Crower Valve springs (while I'm in there)

So far I've found some great deals on the valve springs and head gasket on Amazon. I'm still looking for deals on the rest. I don't know if I'll go with ARP head studs or something else. Likewise with the Cometic head gasket. I've heard the composite ones actually seal better if you aren't going to boost outrageously high. I'm planning on hitting around 400 hp with this setup and a possible turbo/cam upgrade down the line. I may be tearing down the car this Thursday or Friday.

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast