The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 4g63t / AWD 7g Build

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 LastLast
Showing results 361 to 380 of 445
    Figure it out yet? I found that some of the connector locks near ecu don't hold so well. It is possible that one has slid apart and is only making partial contact.

I haven't had time to check it out yet this weekend. I'll dig into it soon. I figure I must have had a loose wire somewhere or something pull out when I was yanking out the stereo.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

maybe you unseated your eprom cable to the ostrich. Or your ostrich cable is rubbing against the ecu case and caused a short.

This actually happened to me and caused the exact symptoms you are having. Anyways, ya... seems like an ostrich problem.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr View Post
    maybe you unseated your eprom cable to the ostrich. Or your ostrich cable is rubbing against the ecu case and caused a short.

This actually happened to me and caused the exact symptoms you are having. Anyways, ya... seems like an ostrich problem.
    You were dead on. My Ostrich cable had gotten cut on the red wire and the code in it got scrambled. When I plugged my laptop in, Jackal didn't even recognize what was on it. I cut the ribbon cable shorter, rewired it to the socket and reloaded my tune. I also cleaned up some stuff while I had everything unplugged. I've got the ECU and harness back in and she fired right up. Boy is that a HUGE relief. I'll be leaving the dash apart so I can get my computer installed though.
    Last edited by eclipsh; 05-02-2011 at 06:09 PM
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

Experienced TGC Member
    Its always something stupid!

It is a bit dirty but here is the visible stuff:

The screen is 8" and is touch. The panel below has two momentary switches, one tied to the power button on the monitor, the other to the laptop stashed under my seat. The LED to the right of the laptop power button is, surprisingly enough, the power light for the laptop. Below is a USB port and an on/off switch for my 4 way amplifier. I've got a microphone routed up the driver's a-pillar. Right now it is just hanging out the top. I'll mount it better if I like the sound at that location.

Unfortunately I was tired and not thinking clearly when I glued the switch panel in behind the ashtray cover and I got adhesive on the visible areas. That is the mess you can see. Since I used PVC adhesive it softened the plastic and cleaning it left everything scratched up and nasty. I'll have to sand it and paint it or get a new piece from the junk yard and do it over again if I want it to look better.
    Last edited by eclipsh; 05-20-2011 at 09:56 PM

Quote Originally Posted by eclipsh View Post
    You were dead on. My Ostrich cable had gotten cut on the red wire and the code in it got scrambled. When I plugged my laptop in, Jackal didn't even recognize what was on it. I cut the ribbon cable shorter, rewired it to the socket and reloaded my tune. I also cleaned up some stuff while I had everything unplugged. I've got the ECU and harness back in and she fired right up. Boy is that a HUGE relief. I'll be leaving the dash apart so I can get my computer installed though.
    Sweet. Lol yeah it happened to me right in the middle of a 4 lane highway leaving my car dead in the right lane of a 4 lane road, under a railroad overpass at the bottom of a hill on a blind curve.......
    Lol only way it could have been worse is if it happend and left me on a railroad crossing with a train coming lol.
    Anyways I got lucky and a cop came and directed traffic around me until i could get a rollback to tow me. I thought I was gooing to be dunzo.

Carputer looks good. I want one of those really bad. or a tablet that i can mount right there.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

so can you use the 6 bolt dsm 4g63t with a 2g trans? i would like to stick with my 6 bolt instead of using the 7? ik i would have to change the drivers mount just needed info on the trans bolting up fine?
    No Comment

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    you can use any 4g64 or 63 or g4cs etc as long as you use the correct flywheel like a 6 bolt with a 2g awd tranny would use a 6 bolt awd flywheel and a 6 bolt for fwd would use a 6 bolt fwd flywheel.

swapping to a 6 bolt would be worth it for instant results but shaving the mount and water pump annoys me. build another 64 dohc and direct drop in and walk away, you would be doing the same rewiring anyway.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Proto
    Modifying the mount is easy and that's all you have to do.

thanks guys for the info. is there anyone on this site who could do my harness for me? im not big into wirring but if i had to do it im sure i could pull out some smarts. someone wanna make some money lol? p.s sorry for jacking on this thread man
    No Comment

Your harness will depend on which ECU you run and what year your G is. There are threads to help with several combinations. I doubt anyone will build a harness for you since troubleshooting problems would be a pain without being there. If you've read this thread you saw the trouble I went through building mine.

You can stop thread jacking and hit up one of those threads now
    Last edited by eclipsh; 06-08-2011 at 08:30 AM

I just finish reading the build. It is very inspiring. Especially for anyone wanting an Evo on the cheap. Keep up the great progress.
    Last edited by Xionation; 09-01-2011 at 09:48 PM

Thanks :) Progress has been made this summer, I just haven't been updating. I've replaced the rear bushings with urethane and done some work on the front end to clean it up. The t-bar is now straightened and painted and the expanded steel is gone from the bumper cover. I also ditched the crappy AN fittings on the oil return and switched to good quality JIC fittings with silicone hose. Mostly it is just maintenance these days though. :(

to start i know this hasnt been used in along while,but a friend of mine told me of this site and this fourm to help me with my build 94es 4g63 5 speed swap and im in the wireing now about finished, but this has been alot of help, i need to get on here more often! really like your 7g sweet build

Wow, can't believe this thread has been cold for so long.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Thanks, glad it is helping you with your build.

I was just thinking it had been cold for a long time too. I've been busy. I'm working on my engineering degree and really in the thick of it. I'm down to the last few weeks of the semester now and will get back to the car a bit this summer.

I've done a few minor things to the car like removing all the steel mesh from the front bumper (it looks way better without it) and I've been fighting with a leaky valve cover. It keeps pushing oil out the bolt holes no matter what I do to fix it. I'm going to try another new gasket and more RTV in a few weeks to see if that gets rid of the leak.

IF I have time this summer I'm toying with making some braces for the front suspension and I'll make the bushings I need to install my rear Tein spring perches. I'll also see about getting the car to a real track for some fun.

Wow this is truly an inspiration for me. Congrats on the awd conversion!

Those who have followed this have probably noticed I am loathe to spend much on appearance mods when there are performance mods to be made but I have been wanting one of these for a while so I picked it up at the salvage yard.

It was black but I sanded and painted it then got it installed.

I also found these for $50. They are out of a mid-late 90's Celica.

The driver's seat has some wear on one bolster but they'll sit a lot lower in the car if I install them right and they are much more supportive. I'll likely reupholster them before they go in. If I do that I'll probably also do the rear seats so it is a complete package. I'll just have to learn how to do it :P

The front bumper is patched, sanded and awaiting paint. I should get it done next Friday.

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 LastLast