The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 4g63t / AWD 7g Build

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Showing results 41 to 60 of 445
    Well I didn't get as much done yesterday as I wanted to. I spent all my garage time fiddling with the engine. I got my wideband O2 sensor in and made a small bracket to mount my MAP sensor on the back side of the intake manifold. I also got the 450 injectors out and was going to put my 780's in when I found I was missing a seal on one of them. Unfortunately the one I'm missing at the bottom can't be swapped from the stock injectors as they're different sizes. So they'll be sitting and waiting until I get some new seals in the mail.

As for the body panels you asked about earlier Michael, I'd love to get the JDM front bumper cover and get some nice side skirts eventually. If anyone has some spares lying around they're more than welcome to send or bring them to me. ;)

Today I'm going to start with getting the rear subframe bolts tack welded into place and getting the subrame in. I need to finish swapping the e-brake cables too. After that I'll work on getting the engine/tranny into the bay so I can get driveshaft and exhaust issues figured out. If I manage to get all of that done I'll work on the wiring harness and shifter bits. I have a full stainless clutch line on it's way from Mach V now since getting the hard line out of the Talon was far too much work to be worth it. There's still lots of work to go but I think I'm on the downhill slope so long as my wiring works.
    Last edited by eclipsh; 03-07-2009 at 07:49 AM
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

As usual the day didn't go as planned. I got an early start but as my wife was sleeping I got to work on wiring first. I ended up spending half of the day working on the wiring. Here's what I've got set:

1g - 7g
    101 - 13
    102 - 12
    103 - 60
    104 - 26
    105 - n/a (wastegate solenoid)
    106 - 26
    107 - 25
    108 - 51
    109 - tach signal from transistor
    110 - 71

51 - 1
    52 - 14
    53 - 6
    54 - transistor
    55 - transistor
    56 - 8
    57 - ? fuel pressure control valve
    58 - 4
    59 - 17
    60 - 2
    61 - 15
    62 - 9
    63 ? MPI control relay
    64 - 36
    22 - 65
    66 ? MPI control relay
    67 - 18
    68 - 5

1 - 42
    2 - 43
    3 - turbo gauge, I'm not wiring this for now
    4 - O2 sensor, wiring this from my wideband
    5 - 37
    6 - 19
    7 ? A/C Switch
    8 - 52
    9 - detonation / knock sensor
    10 - 70
    11 - n/a for abs
    12 - 34
    13 ? control relay (fuel pump drive signal)
    14 - 67
    15 - 53
    16 - 65
    17 - 72
    18 - 66
    19 -
    20 - 63
    21 - crank angle sensor RPM
    22 - TDC from CAS
    23 - 61
    24 - 72

I also got the MAP and IAT sensors wired into the MAS wiring.

The fun part of the day was getting the rear subframe bolted in. The less fun side was looking at where the drive shaft is lining up.

The tabs from the carrier are hitting at that height on both sides. It is about right for clearance above it but a little deeper into the tunnel than I'd like for my custom bracket. I may still end up pulling the factory one from the Talon if it looks like it'll fit.
    Last edited by eclipsh; 03-07-2009 at 07:53 PM
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

From the pictures, it looks like your exhaust is going to be a tight squeeze. How much room is actually there? As was stated earlier, it looks as if you may need to run it a little low.
    Last edited by akamikeymo; 03-08-2009 at 09:09 AM

Well I'm back from training and I'll be back to working 40 hours a week so progress will be slowing down.

We think we've got the drive shaft figured out. I'll likely be shortening the rear shaft by an inch or two. That will bring the carrier bearing out of the tunnel and in line with the large cross brace in the unibody where the front gas tank studs drop down. It will make it much easier to design the mounts and easier to move it closer to the passenger side where it should be. This should also leave plenty of room for my 3" exhaust in the tunnel.

While I was gone my stainless clutch line arrived along with new capacitors for my ECU. I'd found some capacitors at Radio Shack but the voltage was too low. I got the right set off eBay Motors for a few bucks.

I'll have tomorrow off from work so I'll probably use that time to get the engine in place. If nothing else it feels like a big accomplishment and it'll open up some floor space in the garage.
    Last edited by eclipsh; 03-16-2009 at 08:49 AM

Well I got the clutch pedal assembly, master cylinder and M/T brake pedal in this morning.

This afternoon I got the engine and transmission in with three motor mounts holding it in place. They're dirty and ugly but still turbo and AWD. :D

There is quite a bit more space to work with between the intake and the firewall than in the Talon, for which I'm exceedingly grateful.

Monday I'll bolt up the transfer case, front cross member, front axles and suspension.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Yes, the 7g engine bay is much much easier to work in then any 1g or especially 2g bay. So much more room back on the firewall by the clutch master.
    7g for life!

ditch the cruise. get a 2g non cruise throttle cable,. clean that bay up a ton.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

everytime i get on the forum and read this thread it makes me wish i kept my 7g instead of trading it in for the 1g. eventhough they were both at the house already. i miss the bigger enigne bay.

by the way is it a 4 bolt rear?
    Last edited by da1085; 03-18-2009 at 06:26 AM
    1990 GSX(91 eprom ecu set-up)
    6-bolt jdm (GVR4)
    16G turbo
    3inch turbo back(flowmasters)
    510cc
    OSTRICH
    FMIC
    ___trying to learn the art of tuning___

DOHCstunr, I may move the cruise control down a bit so it is less conspicuous but I'll be doing road trips in this so the cruise will come in handy (if it works).

da1085, you can always pick another 7g up cheap ;) Also, all the AWD DSMs 92+ used a 4 bolt rear end, it was only the 1gA 90-91 that used the 3 bolt.

I was looking at the fuel tank wiring and realized that the plugs are unique so I can't strip compatible parts off my old harness. Looks like I'll be cutting the wires off the Talon after all.

Amazing, Looks so awsome and you work fast as hell.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

Thanks to whoever gave me the rep points :)

I'm getting a little done before work each day. I got the shifter and shift cables hooked up this morning. It feels a bit stiff without fluid in the tranny and the clutch not hooked up yet but it works. I don't have any pictures... it is just a shifter after all ;)

I also double checked the fitment of the gas tank and it should slip in there just fine. I think I'll have to drop the rear subframe to do it.\ The tank tucks up above the rear diff a bit. I can just drop the four bolts and leave the rear upper arms attached to save some trouble.

I like how, unlike with AWD Mirage conversions, you don't have to cut out any of the trunk for the rear diff. Furthermore, with yours, there seems to be no reason to install a fuel cell in the trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by akamikeymo View Post
    I like how, unlike with AWD Mirage conversions, you don't have to cut out any of the trunk for the rear diff. Furthermore, with yours, there seems to be no reason to install a fuel cell in the trunk.
    it's like it was meant for all the stuff to be in the car. i would like to get my hands on the 7G vr-4 rear to see how all that stuff looks and what the diffrences are.

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Indeed. Another great comparison would be to compare different EVO generations.

Indeed. Another great comparison would be to compare different EVO generations.
    i know some evos AWD parts are compatible with the 8G vr-4

You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

No you can't use the FWD fuel tank in the Galant because the driveshaft won't fit.

But you have a Eclipse GSX donor car right? That tank will bolt right up and clear your shafts at the same time! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
    No you can't use the FWD fuel tank in the Galant because the driveshaft won't fit.

But you have a Eclipse GSX donor car right? That tank will bolt right up and clear your shafts at the same time! Good luck!
    he didn't say to use the FWD tank

Yup, I am using the AWD gas tank. It doesn't "bolt right up" as there are no bolt holes there yet. I'll have to drill the body and drop studs down just like they do for the 2g Eclipse AWD conversions. It looks like all the sheet metal etc in the rear of the Galant is identical to that of a 2g Eclipse save the narrower center tunnel. It makes complete sense as it saved Mitsu from having to create a new set of stamps etc for different models. I too would be interested in what other Mitsu cars share parts over various generations. I'm sure all sorts of fun can be had swapping things around if people look hard enough.

evo 8 rear diff has the same gear ratio as an auto awd dsm IIRC. 3rd gen eclipse has 1g front suspension design and 2g rear design, the mismatch of parts that work together make huge numbers of possibilities to get things to work.

I did some interesting reading over on DSMTuners today.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/vend...en-6-bolt.html

If it works out that I can use the Evo 9 pistons it should make building a stroker a bit more reasonable.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast