The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 4g63t / AWD 7g Build

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Showing results 101 to 120 of 445
    i was thinking of using the JAW wideband but then i found out that they also have the NAW oem. my 1g is ready to be driven other than not having the legal stickers and a wideband. i would had pulled the trigger on the NAW kit but then it wasn't programmable plus it wasn't an identical to lc1 in the output.

nby the way my screen name on dsmap is doroyce05 :)
    1990 GSX(91 eprom ecu set-up)
    6-bolt jdm (GVR4)
    16G turbo
    3inch turbo back(flowmasters)
    510cc
    OSTRICH
    FMIC
    ___trying to learn the art of tuning___

Well the drive train is done. I have the drive shaft and exhaust in, the gas tank in and fluids topped off. Unfortunately my wiring didn't work. The car won't turn over with the key and I'm not getting a ground signal for the injectors when I use a jumper wire to turn the car over (key on of course). I am getting spark though so that is one good thing. I'll look into the rest as I find time.

As you can see clearances were very tight with the 3" exhaust. It tucks up nicely though. We did have to bang in a couple spots so it wouldn't rub on the drive shaft. I'll also need to grind the center exhaust flange down a bit to keep it from rubbing but otherwise it fits like a dream.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

i'm so pumped for you. once you get it figured out we need launch vids!!!!

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

wow, youre killing it man. great work. The last picture makes me wanna have AWD galant.

I think that 3'' is a lil overkill if you dont have built motor, cuz you can boost stock motor just that much and the stock 2.25'' or aftermarket 2.5'' can handle it with some straight resonators and a high flow cat...........I have 3'' exhaust:)

Everything looks amazing, hopefully we will see more Galants going this way.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

That really looks good!!!! Iam glad to see a 7g awd conversion finally happen...
    Man that awd gas tank looks like it fits perfect!!!!

Could you take a pic of your jpipe/licp from inside the bay... Just curious...

Very Nice Job indeed!!!
    ---||| 97Galant, E3 16G, Safc, 5spd,Drifter Body |||---

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    wow, youre killing it man. great work. The last picture makes me wanna have AWD galant.

I think that 3'' is a lil overkill if you dont have built motor, cuz you can boost stock motor just that much and the stock 2.25'' or aftermarket 2.5'' can handle it with some straight resonators and a high flow cat...........I have 3'' exhaust:)

Everything looks amazing, hopefully we will see more Galants going this way.
    on a 14b and a stock 4g63 a 3" exhaust will yeild significant gains over a 2.25 exhaust.

all the backpressure needed on a turbocharged engine will be found in the manifold. any backpressure post-turbo will steal both torque and power.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

I'm suprised you didn't yank the heatshield out of the exhaust tunnel just to free up more working room. I ditched mine a long time ago.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Thanks again for all the encouragement guys. I'm really looking forward to getting my wiring straight and starting this puppy up!

MKO, a turbo works as a pressure differential machine. The greater the change in pressure before vs. after the hot side the more efficiently the turbo can operate and the more power you get. You also get quicker spool up for a better torque band. That is why the 3" pipe is better than a 2.5" or 2.25". It is also what I had handy to use ;)

DOHCstunr, I left the heat shield in because that exhaust is right up against the body of the car. I don't want all that heat coming up through the floor boards. I actually had to bend it a bit to get everything in but I'm happy it is there.

Oh, the AWD tank does fit perfectly, the J-pipe is the same as on a 2g eclipse so no point in taking pictures and we'll see about the launch vid. I don't like risking breaking anything on launches, the repairs are too expensive. Maybe on dirt ;)
    Last edited by eclipsh; 04-26-2009 at 08:31 AM
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by eclipsh View Post
    we'll see about the launch vid. I don't like risking breaking anything on launches, the repairs are too expensive. Maybe on dirt ;)
    poop. lol i would be so siked i would probably wreck the drivetrain the first launch.

you got to do at least a small one.

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

whoa that exhaust looks quite close to the driveshaft in one place, and looks to be resting up against the transfer case casing in another part?? looks like a good conversion though!

Quote Originally Posted by fuel View Post
    whoa that exhaust looks quite close to the driveshaft in one place, and looks to be resting up against the transfer case casing in another part?? looks like a good conversion though!
    Sorry, I didn't explain the photos very well. Those were the test fitting. In later pictures I think you can see where we took a hammer to the exhaust to get a little clearance at the transfer case and the front of the drive shaft. The only spot it is too close now is the flange which I still need to grind down.

EDIT: Nope, guess you can't see where we banged it in, my bad.
    Last edited by eclipsh; 04-26-2009 at 08:27 AM

So I managed to get my logger working this morning and looked into what the ECU was seeing. I'm getting all my sensor data although the TPS sensor seems to be sending an odd signal. I'll have to look into that more later. The ECU trigger of the fuel pump doesn't seem to do anything right now. I'll check that wiring and the starter wiring at some point and see what I can come up with. I am encouraged by the sensors and data link working though. It means I probably haven't fried the ECU and most of my wiring is right.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    im so stoked now.. i have been thinking about doing this swap for a while and im glad to c it being done

good work and you work quick man i like it and keep it up

Chris
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

i just read this whole post from beginning to end for the first time today. good build you got going there. cant wait to see it moving for the first time. if i were you id either get the 7gb bumper and cut it out or get the JDM DE bumper. no need to cover up that nice intercooler like that
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

If you take out the rectangular bumper stay thing you'd notice that there are 2 perfectly round hole at the headlight bucket. A real VR4 uses those two holes for passing the intercooler piping through.

Not like you have to, but Mitsubishi already made holes for the shortest possible intercooler route I thought you might want to use it. Looks like you are sticking to 2.5" intercooler piping anyway.

Also for the exahaust clearance, on a true VR4 there is another carrier bearing just about 1ft or so down from the transfer case, that bearing pushes the first section of the driveshaft a bit away from the exhaust for clearance.

in a European VR4 swap mod car (I think you can see the swap somewhere in the customs thread) what happened is that they take out the floorpan center section and weld that back to the FWD chassis, so there's provision for the first carrier bearing. Of course the VR4 shaft is used as well. So the VR4 shaft has one more section compared to the GSX shaft.

Good luck.
    Last edited by hk20000; 05-04-2009 at 01:04 AM

very nice job on this build. I can't wait to see it finished

Regarding the rewiring and the ECU, would it be bette to rewire the whole car with the 1g wire harness? Or rewire it witht he 1g plugs into the 7g existing harness?

Quote Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
    . A real VR4 uses those two holes for passing the intercooler piping through.
    this wont be a 7g Galant VR-4 when its done.
    It will be a 7g Galant ES-X

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

wow, no room for resonators.
    Wonder what your exhaust is going to sound like. Should sound pretty mean... and LOUD!

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    Awesome job, I'm loving the progress. AWD for my final structural Modification!!

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast