The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: replaced transmission

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

replaced transmission

hey everyone,
    Well I just had my transmission replaced with a used one
    that I had off of a parts car. I have a 95 galant auto. My previous tranmission issue was that it would, at times, bang when downshifting while coming to a stop and it would shift a little rough also. Though my transmission now shifts a lot
    better, I still experience, rarely though, a slight bang when downshifting coming
    to a stop there is an issue that I just wanted to get some
    confirmation on.. I notice that if I throttle hard I will experience a
    jerk with a clunking noise. This occured with the previous transmission also but the jerk wasnt so bad then. The only thing that I can think it is is
    the front end and/or engine/trans mounts. I do have quite a few issues in the front end from tie rod ends, ball joints, I think and axle, but was wondering if it is possible for the front end or mounts being the issue as to why i am feeling when i push the throttle down hard and the slight clunk when downshifting..thanks for any feedback.

AJ

Mine has the same problem. It's noticeable when it hasn't warmed up:/

I've been told it's the torque converter or tranny mount...idk?

TGC Regular
    Mine does the same exact thing. These transmissions are crap. thats all i can say

Quote Originally Posted by ajth87 View Post
    hey everyone,
    Well I just had my transmission replaced with a used one
    that I had off of a parts car. I have a 95 galant auto. My previous tranmission issue was that it would, at times, bang when downshifting while coming to a stop and it would shift a little rough also. Though my transmission now shifts a lot
    better, I still experience, rarely though, a slight bang when downshifting coming
    to a stop there is an issue that I just wanted to get some
    confirmation on.. I notice that if I throttle hard I will experience a
    jerk with a clunking noise. This occured with the previous transmission also but the jerk wasnt so bad then. The only thing that I can think it is is
    the front end and/or engine/trans mounts. I do have quite a few issues in the front end from tie rod ends, ball joints, I think and axle, but was wondering if it is possible for the front end or mounts being the issue as to why i am feeling when i push the throttle down hard and the slight clunk when downshifting..thanks for any feedback.

AJ
    im willing to bet that you have a bad engine mount. There is a easy way to check and see if they are bad.

Start up your car and have someone rev it up and let off the gas, if the engine seems to move a lot then i would say that it is one of your motor mount/mounts.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    trust me you have bad engine mounts, usually the front and the rear. Especially if you 5spd

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bronxbombr View Post
    trust me you have bad engine mounts, usually the front and the rear. Especially if you 5spd
    bad mounts and the tranny is shifting rough too cuz mine did it then i put in this tranny and it doesnt clunk but do the mounts first yours might be worse than mine
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

well thanks for all the feedback..i am going to get my engine and tranny mounts checked out tmrw and see if it is any of those..I can only hope that it is the mounts seeing that I just got this tranny and they arent cheap.. thanks again

i know they arent cheap im on my 4th auto.. no i didnt pay for all of them i payed for one rebuild the next 2 were were rebuilds gotta love the warranty and this is a used one

but keep us posted good luck
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

thanks again..i will definitely post back when I get some results. I will be bringing my car to local shop to get the mounts checked early next week so I will know for sure then.

AJ

Although this will be going off on a little tangent here, not to much though, I was curious as to whether or not Mitsubishi rectified the 7G(1994-1998) auto transmission issue with the 8G(1999-2003) galant's or does the problem still persist. Reason I am asking is because by the Fall I plan on purchasing another car but something that is more reliable and better built that my current 95 galant. Right now my mind is set on a 2000-2003 Maxima yet I do like the 8G galants and would consider on of those also. Thanks.

AJ

Well everyone. I have come to the decision that I want to keep my 95 galant and get it fixed and then modded. The first thing on my agenda is to replace this p.o.s. auto tranny with a manual. I wanted some advice as to what exactly is needed for the swap. I have used the search box and I did read a lot of posts in attempt to find a vivid, in depth answer but my attempt wasn't successful. I have looked on car-parts.com and found a few at good prices for a 95 galant but I know there is much more than just the tranny necessary for the swap. Also, might anyone have any suggestions of a good shop in the CT area that would be able to do such a swap? Preferably closest to Waterbury. I am planning to do the actual swap sometime in the beginning of summer but would like to get some planning done asap. Thanks for any feedback..

AJ

go to the 7g tutorials section and you will see the swap tutorial and all the parts are listed along with how to do it
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

dude i just read ur comment again and im in waterbury!!!!!

im going to wendys on wolcott rd to chill for a while ill be in my g if u wanna stop down or call me.. 203 233 5781 my name is chris
    Last edited by Galanttuner10; 03-03-2009 at 07:43 PM
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

well thanks for directing me to the right place chris! appreciate it.. well i actually just got in and have an early morning tmrw but thnx for the offer. its good to know another g owner in the same city as me and after reading a few of ur posts, u seem to be pretty knowledgeable in regard to the g. good stuff man.. well i'm sure i'll see u around..thanks again..

AJ

dude uve probably seen me.. where abouts do you live?.. y dont u pm me or hit me up on aim sometime
    Last edited by Galanttuner10; 03-04-2009 at 02:14 AM
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR