The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Common Issues with the 7G?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 24

Common Issues with the 7G?

Hey Guys,

I am looking to pick up a 7G today (if all plans out!) its a 97 with 108K on it full power w/sunroof..besides the 2 small grill pieces missing its still intact and in good shape, I am going today to take it for a drive and do my final "inspection" of the car, was hoping you guys can help me out by telling me what should I look out for while checking the car out??

I know seth told me to ask if there is a maintenance record and status on timing and water pump, Jaydee told me about the control arms, now what else? I really want to get the G but dont wanna get burned on it, feel me?
    The dude is selling it for $1700 but cash talks so I am going to see what I can work out... thanks for the help guys

and for the record the car is only going to be used to go to work..bout 1hr a day.... oh yes I do plan to mod it...if its worth it!!!

once you drive it you won't mod the other cars.

make sure the suspension and brakes are ok. and make sure the lower ball joints are good.

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Thanks Kolio! Yeah I really want it and if the front end seems good I may just jump on it... the only things I really want to check

Tranny slipage
    burning of oil and
    suspension... I mean for a 12 yr old car it seems alright but I guess when I go later I will see

Quote Originally Posted by kolio View Post
    once you drive it you won't mod the other cars.

make sure the suspension and brakes are ok. and make sure the lower ball joints are good.

x2 on the ball joints.

Also, look under the drivers side of the engine for oil leaks, Front main seal and oil pump seal are pretty common issues. Check engine lights- take it to autozone and scan it if you must - sometimes the CEL light goes out. See how smooth or rough the trasmission is, is it noisy, does it downshift normally. I mean dont try to compare it to 9g shifting, but you dont wanna do tranny swap a month after you bought it. Check the tranny fluid - it has to be clear. Does it vibrate when braking or acceleration. Does it smoke when you first start it....
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

^^^ I hear ya on the tranny good looks ya.. Oh I got a code reader so that is my first thing before even driving it... Thanks on the tip of looking for the oil leak.... oh and whats the main way to tell if the ball joints are gone... I figured I would hear it while driving right??

you hear a popping noise when over road bumps
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    power door locks.....do they work? LOL
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

^^LOL well I will let ya all know I am meeting up with the dude around 5:15 today and lets see what happens..... kinda anxious cause I really want this G... and I will be hella pissed off if it needs mad work...especially since on the ad it says "Excellent Condition"....LOL ( I even printed out the ad to take with me and beat him with that shit if its a money pit)

I got my 7g for $500. So far the only thing I see wrong, is the rear suspension and new motor mounts

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    i second the motor mounts and i 3rd the ball joints

also one of my rear shocks was blown when i got the car so def watch the suspension

o and the sunroof check all the seals cuz both of my 7gs have leaked

and on my 7g i have now the stock cd player somehow was getting water in it dont know if thats common hasnt happened with my new head unit though so it was the stock one that was the issue

dash and airbag usually warp from the sun to thats normal over the years

and check the radiator as that went on mine and my tranny overheated cuz the tranny cooler failed as well
    Last edited by Galanttuner10; 02-27-2009 at 06:35 PM
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Your tranny cant blow up because your radidator failed. Your tranny can blow up if the tranny cooler fails. But yes, check the tranny cooler for leaks(its the small cooler on the left side of the middle air dam on the bumper).
    7g for life!

sorry should have clarified.. both went on my galant the radiator and the tranny cooler
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Thanks Guys for all the input but this was a very very sad car to go see.... the body and interior were mint , but as soon as I put my computer on... it threw out like 4 different codes, the car kept stalling passenger window did not work, serious ass exhuast leak, fuel smell once car was started.... I did not even bother with the rest of the other stuff, turned it off, left the keys on the seat and told the guy dead up... this shit is a joke you will be lucky if you get $100 for it... got in my car and left..... what a shame I really hate ppl who have nice cars in thier possesion and treat them like shit!! so so annoying.... fuck I really wanted this shit... and they are so hard to find this area...:(

Find out whats wrong with it first, then offer him $376 for it.
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Like what Seth said...i would offer him a lower price.

I would pull the CEL codes and see what the problem is.

Exhaust leak is a easy fix..take it to a exhaust shop and redo the exhaust.

Probably the window motor is bad causing it not to work

If you are willing to put some work to get the car running again..maybe its worth it for around $500.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Jay. I am actually having problem with passenger side window also. I can put it down from master controller, but not back up. And from passenger side controller it will go up and down, but not as fast as the other windows will. I was told that it might be something with the master controller. I replaced it with another one and still acting the same.
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

Ok called the guy back and I guess after making him feel stupid after saying the car was in "excellent" condition and it being in the shape it is, he actually refused to sell me the G... aint that some shit.... but whatever I tired ya....... see I wanted to get something for the wife first and then see where i was financially so that i can get this one as a project but he wont sell it now, says "No longer for sell"....

So after all the running around this weekend I picked up a 98 Sentra for the wife w/ 129k on it and its in very good shape, they guy selling it needed to sell due to financial issues, kinda felt sorry for him cause you can see the disgust in his face but had to jump on it... took it for $1500 and this weekend I am supppsed to go see some guy in Ewing who is selling a set of 16 inch rims and tires 4 lug universal perfect fit.... for only $200 so lets see... stock for the car is 14 so 16 should look nice on it.... well any way thanks guys for all the help anyhows but did not go my way this time!!!

i shoulda sold you my 7g and picked up that gs thas 4 sale in florida i woulda sold it with everything in it for 2gs id just keep my heads and suspension u could have kept the rest but 7gs are worth it maybe ull have another chance later on at getting a good one
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

Quote Originally Posted by Blazepr24 View Post
    Ok called the guy back and I guess after making him feel stupid after saying the car was in "excellent" condition and it being in the shape it is, he actually refused to sell me the G... aint that some shit.... but whatever I tired ya....... see I wanted to get something for the wife first and then see where i was financially so that i can get this one as a project but he wont sell it now, says "No longer for sell"....

So after all the running around this weekend I picked up a 98 Sentra for the wife w/ 129k on it and its in very good shape, they guy selling it needed to sell due to financial issues, kinda felt sorry for him cause you can see the disgust in his face but had to jump on it... took it for $1500 and this weekend I am supppsed to go see some guy in Ewing who is selling a set of 16 inch rims and tires 4 lug universal perfect fit.... for only $200 so lets see... stock for the car is 14 so 16 should look nice on it.... well any way thanks guys for all the help anyhows but did not go my way this time!!!
    He refused to sell it to you because he realized that you werent a sucker lol
    7g for life!

Man.... you should've... I would have taken it off ya hands so quick-LOL... oh well... yeah i am going to hold on the my half of the money in the event something comes up.... only got like $1500 right but should have some more in a month or so..... lets see what happens..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast