The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: small racing battery

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19

small racing battery

hey guys i am going to relocate my battery somewhere else under the engine bay. i wanted to know if one of those small racing batterys from AMS is ok to use for a daily used car?

http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/A...mance.com.html

will that battery tray bolt onto our cars?

The Evo guys use those batterys for their track cars. As long as you dont have to power any stereo equipment, you should be able to start your car every day with those.

ill find some place under the engine bay to bolt it up lol ,maybe where my power steering used to be

i only have a radio and some gauges.. would that still be fine?

that would work.

Honda guys like to put the battery down behind the foglight areas. Its totally out of sight but I dont know how dry a location like that is.

oh and i have an HID kit on it... would it still work fine with this?

Yeah it should, if you took your stock intake out there should be significant room in that area, try around there, of course it really wouldnt be "relocating" it by much,ive seen cars with the battery mounted in their trunks, you just need to run the pos + neg through the car, which means you'll need longer terminal wires

~Gabe

When I feel like eating a banana, I like to go to the zoo, sucker punch a gorilla and try to run with a banana hanging out my bum. Then if I succeed, I enjoy my victory with said banana and a stroopwaffle.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    I had an Odyssey PC680 (same as the AMS and Buschur Kits) and it was an effing nightmare. I dont drive my car everyday, so if you dont start the car at least every other day, when you come back the battery is dead. It doesnt like holding a charge for a week without the alternator to recharge it. If you want it out of sight, you can use it and mount it on top of the main suspension crossmember on the passenger side just after where the A/c lines come thru the firewall. If you use your car everyday, I dont see the small battery being an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    I will confirm what Stewi said about the small battery. I also am using a Odyssey PC680 for my 7g and if you don't use the car for more than a week it will lose its chage. I had this issue and couldn't figure it out till my buddy of mine with a Evo mentioned it to me. Also it sucks when you charge a gel battery...it requires a trickle charge unlike a regular car battery.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

and if this battery does lose its charged where can i take it to get charged? i like the braille batterys

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Anyplace that has a battery charger that has a trickle charge mode.

I have my own battery charger which I bought at Harbor Freight and it works perfectly and had it for 3 years already.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Quote Originally Posted by 4-G-rim View Post
    Anyplace that has a battery charger that has a trickle charge mode.

I have my own battery charger which I bought at Harbor Freight and it works perfectly and had it for 3 years already.
    I have a trickle charger or 2 in my garage also instead of jumping my car when I start them I just put it on trickle charge the day before since I park both my automobiles for months at a time it makes life easier then disconnecting the battery and reconnecting every time i want to start it up. I bought mine from autobarn which is a long island auto part store i used to work at and it works fine.

My brother also got his there and he leaves it on his fiero track car that hes building.

im in the process of relocating my battery and once my kit is complete i will be putting more to gether to sell. if interested keep posting here. the kit will include everything from the cables to the connectors and the battery box. this will be a trunk kit. its not going to be 1 of those cheap universals u buy for 70 or 80 bucks. it is a complete fail safe system free from arcing and fire start ups. fuses and bolts will be included along with instructions. i have already baught evrything to do mine with but havent installed it yet due to weather issues. the price as of right now is going to be 150 plus shipping. but i am also working on makeing it alil cheaper by finding a company that carrys all the components needed without going to get them from separate stores. brandon 919-665-8645 if you want 1.
    no longer a g owner.....:(

Soon to get another.....:)

Experienced TGC Member ZigenScarface's Avatar
    ^^......... doesent answer his question at all

Quote Originally Posted by ZigenScarface View Post
    ^^......... doesent answer his question at all
    this is an answer to his question bc is instead of runnunig a shitty battery he could put an oe or a optima in the trunk and at the same time get it out of the way under the hood. so all is well read between the lines dude. if its in the trunk and can run a battery that doesnt loose a charge then problem solved.
    no longer a g owner.....:(

Soon to get another.....:)

Experienced TGC Member ZigenScarface's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtorque View Post
    hey guys i am going to relocate my battery somewhere else under the engine bay. i wanted to know if one of those small racing batterys from AMS is ok to use for a daily used car?

http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/A...mance.com.html
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmeagalant View Post
    this is an answer to his question bc is instead of runnunig a shitty battery he could put an oe or a optima in the trunk and at the same time get it out of the way under the hood. so all is well read between the lines dude. if its in the trunk and can run a battery that doesnt loose a charge then problem solved.
    do you even have enough post to sell anything here? can anyone speak for you? he didnt ask about putting a battery in a trunk u obviously cant read.. you can get a full battery relocation kit for 150 with a company to back it up.. dont try to push your home made kits in someones thread

Gtorque, i would recommend the braille series batteries to you but you must have a very good set of battery cables in order not to drain off excess amounts of voltage, this helps task the battery less. i have a Braille 11.5lbs daily use battery and the lightweight aluminum mount. total cost was about $200 and its a very nice addition to the engine bay and gets some unnecessary weight out of there too. my stock battery was about 37lbs so you can see the weight difference. i use my car virtually everyday and have had no problems to date with it starting the car even in this bitter Utah winter. im not sure about the AMS, Buschur, or Odessey batteries but i can vouche for this braille getting the job done everyday and i have owned it for nearly a year. the only thing is that it doesnt have the capacity of a regular battery so repeated dry starts (10 or more compression tests) and it will begin to slack a little. a quick charge (enough to get the car started) and you're back on your way.

here is where i mounted mine and how.

They have high pulse cranking amps, but regular cranking amps are down the tube.

^ wow your battery set up looks great bj... nice job!! i went with the braille 15 lbs.(daily) battery.. im only waiting on the mounting kit like u have. lol...

i also decided to mount the battery behind the passenger headlight where the p/s was.

i will def post pics up once i have it up and installed correctly.