The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: A few turbo questions

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20

A few turbo questions

Well I'm done with my "easy" and non power producing mods and I want some more power out of my 4g64. So I'm looking into a turbo, but I have a few questions.

Can I hit 250hp on a stock engine (same pistons ect.)?

After I install the turbo do I need to bring it to a shop for tuning or anything like that? There's no custom performance shops around my area (if you know one on the MA east coast, please tell me).

How much would it cost total to buy everything I need? Including the turbo headers, fuel injectors, to the actual turbo. I'm guessing around $2k-$2.5k but I'm trying to get a rough price.

How long did it take you guys to install the turbo and get the car back up and running? What type of gas mileage are you getting with the turbo?

Thanks for your help. Depending on the answers I get, I want to start buying the parts in a few weeks.

yes you will need a competant tuner in your area. Boston is a big metropolitan city. I dont think there would be a lack of tuners up there. Tuning is 1/2 of what will make the car go fast. You can buy expensive parts and have custom everything but without a good tune, you wont be running at your full potential.

I just dyno'd at 264hp on a stock engine and auto tranny

It took me over a month to put my turbo stuff in. get it to a shop. weld up intercooler pipes and custom exhaust and then get it running un-tuned. It took so long becasue I only had time to do it after work. about 3 hours a night for 2-3 weeks.

$2.5k will get you into the game. to really play, you'll need $4k including the tuner

i get about 20mpg highway driving.

Thanks for your help.

I live about 45mins outside of boston and there's not too many car places around my area. Hopefully I can find a place that knows what they're doing. I thought I found a place which was working on my car (said they also do car mods) then the mechanic said he's never seen an intake like mine (I have a CAI) and the filter should be inside the engine and not near the bumper . So that place is out. I'll drive into boston for a competent tuner I guess.

What does a tune consist of exactly? What would a price be for something like that go for?

Your running at 13psi on a stock engine? I thought our engines could only take around 10psi safely. This is a daily driver so I want it to run reliably when everything is installed.

Wow 20mpg is still good gas mileage compared to stock. I thought a turbo would get lower than that.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    MPG varies with the tune. I had a lean burn closed loop code @ 70mph and higher and got upwards of 28mpg highway.
    7g for life!

who you pick for a tuner depends on what type of engine management you choose. theres AEM EMS, HKS Fcon (what I have), Evo ECU Flash (you could technically tune this yourself), Greddy E-Manage, etc. Not all tuners are proficient in the different ECUs out there.

I don't claim to know anything about tuning so I cant explain how to tune. when you add power-adding parts, you'll need to add more fuel to feed the extra air your adding. The tuner hooks up your car to a dyno and monitors AFR and some other things and then adds or takes away fuel at different RPM level and at differnet throttle positions to get the most power out of your engine.
    Last edited by qnz; 02-28-2009 at 04:05 PM

Quote Originally Posted by qnz View Post
    who you pick for a tuner depends on what type of engine management you choose. theres AEM EMS, HKS Fcon (what I have), Evo ECU Flash (you could technically tune this yourself), Greddy E-Manage, etc. Not all tuners are proficient in the different ECUs out there.

I don't claim to know anything about tuning so I cant explain how to tune. when you add power-adding parts, you'll need to add more fuel to feed the extra air your adding. The tuner hooks up your car to a dyno and monitors AFR and some other things and then adds or takes away fuel at different RPM level and at differnet throttle positions to get the most power out of your engine.
    That clears up a lot, thanks.

Whats the difference between the different engine management systems? Any power difference between them? Or is one better to pick over the others because of tune ability ect.

I would definitely get it professionally tuned and wouldn't try that myself.

The more you spend, the more parameters you can change. Most 8gers run Evo flash, which is the best bang for your buck system out there. Do some research.
    7g for life!

i dunno if u mean ecuflash?? We can flash the ecu but you cannot handle much boost on an ecu flash.. Your stock 8g ecu is flashable depending on ur year that means you can tune for bigger injectors and some other small fry things but your gonna need an engine management system of some kind as they said.. Emanage works decent enough i am using an evo ecu and stock ecu some others have different things..
    4g64DeT 1st evo ecu powered automatic (5 speed now baby)
    BIG 16G Boosted|custom dp|megan racing catback|Deleted Cat|stock dsm manifold|450cc Blues|190lph walbro|evo fuel rail + fpr|greddy type rs bov|evo uicp|Gen FMIC|Custom LICP|Evo cf hood|cf trunk|cyber body kit|motegi dp6 gunmetal 18"|AGXs|Tein S techs|14 psi |5 yrs boosted

So our stock 4g64 engine can take how much boost reliably for a long time (meaning years)? I was reading before that it was 10psi but I have seen people having 13psi+ on the stock engine.

250hp is my goal but if I can get more than that out of the stock engine I'm going to do it.

Anybody know of any good places in Massachusetts that pass a car for an inspection sticker? ;) The garage I knew went out of business. (fucking economy)

cant answer ur first question because it depends how hard u drive and how often.. if u have 250 whp on ur stock block and u run ur car every other day at the track wot then probably ur engine will not make more than a year for example.. i run 15 psi and ive run more and less for 2yrs... average of 14psi throughout 2 years and no issues.. I run my car hard on the weekends. Im at 2yrs boosted... Psi depends on turbo too.. bigger the harder u push at the same psi so .. no one knows the exact limit ur motor will break as im sure most have not found it.. they build before the end of its life
    BIG 16G Boosted|custom dp|megan racing catback|Deleted Cat|stock dsm manifold|450cc Blues|190lph walbro|evo fuel rail + fpr|greddy type rs bov|evo uicp|Gen FMIC|Custom LICP|Evo cf hood|cf trunk|cyber body kit|motegi dp6 gunmetal 18"|AGXs|Tein S techs|14 psi |5 yrs boosted

john will say I get 20mpg because I always stay out of boost with my bus turbo

I'm not going to be driving the car that hard. I will probably take it out to the track maybe a few times a year. Maybe a race on the highway with a friend from time to time but nothing more. So my engine should hopefully last.

What's the horsepower your getting with your setup?

hp

unofficially around 200 or 220 whp i still have to get a dyno done..

I was looking at a few turbo build members have done and I have some more questions.

Do I have to drill holes in stuff to make a turbo work in my car? I was reading that one guy drilled holes for the return line in his oil pan (I think that's what it was). What else needs to be modified (meaning cut or drilled that's not really plug and play)?

Will the intercooler mount behind the stock (2001) bumper without cutting? I saw that somebody had to cut the crash bar to get it to fit but I have no clue.

Sorry about all the questions. I just don't want to start ordering parts before I know what I'm getting myself into.

You dont have to drill holes in the oil pan, but its the recommended methode for a return line. The other option is to get a sandwhich adapter for your oil filter.

You more then likely will have to trim a bit off the back of the bumper. You cant tell its been cut when looking at the bumper from the front, so its no big deal.

You may have to cut a little out of the bottum of the crashbar, but it depends on how you mount it and what size intercooler you get.

And hit up the turbo tech forums or FAQs and read some tutorials.
    7g for life!

jamario
    hi i got a turbo set up off a eclipse where do i start?????? as far putting everything on the car????

Ummm you should have researched all of that b4 getting anything...search.
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

jamario
    any help?????

I don't know what's worse, your laziness, or the fact that this topic has been covered so often that a simple use of the search function would net you your answer. I don't care if I come off as an ass, but if you honestly can't find this info plastered all over the forum you really need to just leave the car N/A .
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

If you have all the parts and dont know where to start, I dont think an online community can help you.

If you have any specific questions, we may be able to help.
    7g for life!