The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: New Problem with my 7G

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 22

New Problem with my 7G

Driving to work today. The 1st few minutes of the ride the car was fine. I get ready to go in 1st from a light and then shift into 2nd, the car bogs some and I notice brown smoke, or maybe cloud of dust or rust. Now the car is running shitty, shitting in 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th, specially when I am around 3k rpms. On the highway I was doing 80 and I was at 3500 rpm. I coulda sworn I should only be around 2500 at that speed, at least when I am done accelerating. Around 3k rpm the car begins to shake, and sounds louder than normal. Taking off in 1st the car feels like it has no power. 2nd isn't much better.
    any ideas.
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

did you smell anything burning? maybe you blew some kind of seal. Check your tube seals, if one ruptured it would leak oil into your pulgs causing it to foul out thus resulting in your lack of power and higher rpm at 80. Motor would have to do more work with less power.

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjaydeeone View Post
    Driving to work today. The 1st few minutes of the ride the car was fine. I get ready to go in 1st from a light and then shift into 2nd, the car bogs some and I notice brown smoke, or maybe cloud of dust or rust. Now the car is running shitty, shitting in 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th, specially when I am around 3k rpms. On the highway I was doing 80 and I was at 3500 rpm. I coulda sworn I should only be around 2500 at that speed, at least when I am done accelerating. Around 3k rpm the car begins to shake, and sounds louder than normal. Taking off in 1st the car feels like it has no power. 2nd isn't much better.
    any ideas.
    Sounds like clogged cat or muffler. IDK if you have aftermarket exhaust components installed, but I really think it is the cat. Has it been changes ever since the car was made? Probably the built up pressure blew a gasket or the flex pipe. Try unbolting the pipe before the cat and see how it runs. Also, check the spark plugs just in case. And 80 mph is at 3500 rpms
    Last edited by mko; 03-01-2009 at 08:51 PM
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    What Mko suggested could be the issue...a clogged cat converter can cause the symptoms you are experiencing.

There are tools that measure backpressure that can tell if your cat converter is clogged.

Have your checked your spark plugs to see if any of them have fouled?
    Condition of your spark wires?

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Double check your balance shaft belt too (if you have one) wouldnt account for the brown smoke per say, but the loud and sluggish were some symptom I had with that when mine went the second time. Just as a precaution check that too, good luck

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

thanks guys. I wont be able to check anything until at least Tuesday as I work tomorrow and the weather is gonna be shitty. The exhaust is aftermarket, and there are no cats. Also dunno if this would play much of a role but the car was Turbo'd for around a year before I bought it almost 2 years back. I have also had a CEL for a while now. When I checked it EGR malfunction was the problem.

2001 Galant ES

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Jay I think you should scan it again and see if any more codes came up..

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    the car should be at 3500 rpm's at 70mph, whether stick or auto.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Quote Originally Posted by bronxbombr View Post
    the car should be at 3500 rpm's at 70mph, whether stick or auto.
    didn't realize it was that high LOL.

well I didn't use my car to get home this morning I had a Jeep Liberty from work. I got to work early tonight and went to check out the car. unfortunately some douchebag left me no room to get in the drivers side see picture

anyways I opened the hood and I inspected the spark plug wiresa and found no oil. I checked out the intake and saw it was attached properly.
    I started the car and accelerated with my hand and the car still sounds the way it did yeesterday evening. I will check the car out more tomorrow when I am off

2001 Galant ES

I hate when fuckers do that shit. I'd cut his fuckin valve stems...bastard. Good luck Jay

Quote Originally Posted by evil-G-nius View Post
    I hate when fuckers do that shit. I'd cut his fuckin valve stems...bastard. Good luck Jay
    LOL. I had to go to parking lot before and he moved. But my dad told me a story about a cop that someone parked to close to him and he took a drill with a huge ass bit that he had in his car and drilled right through the guys doors right through the door panels LOL

2001 Galant ES

NICE! Thats what I am talkin about! LOL

so I haven't gone out and looked at the car yet. But driving home this AM it wasn't as bad as it was on Sunday. The higher gears felt fine, and there was no shaking from 2500-3500 like there was on Sunday. In 1st and 2nd the car still doesn't feel right. But if I accelerate hard it seems like I bypass the whole issue. Could it possibly be bad fuel? I last filled up on Saturday same place I normally do, I am about 1/4 tank into it, 100 miles or so.
    Last edited by mrjaydeeone; 03-03-2009 at 03:35 PM

2001 Galant ES

Quote Originally Posted by mrjaydeeone View Post
    so I haven't gone out and looked at the car yet. But driving home this AM it wasn't as bad as it was on Sunday. The higher gears felt fine, and there was no shaking from 2500-3500 like there was on Sunday. In 1st and 2nd the car still doesn't feel right. But if I accelerate hard it seems like I bypass the whole issue. Could it possibly be bad fuel? I last filled up on Saturday same place I normally do, I am about 1/4 tank into it, 100 miles or so.
    bad gas would affect it all around and wouldnt explain any noises you hear or brown smoke...........that i know of. Maybe a crack in the head gasket????? think, what could make brown smoke?

got the car scanned yesterday. pulled a code P0301
    cylinder misfire detected - Cylinder number 1
    probable causes
    1 - Ignition system fault - spark plug(s), ignition wires, coil
    2 - Vacuum leak
    3 - Injector fault
    4 - High or low fuel pressure.
    where do I go from here?

2001 Galant ES

1- Test the spark on all four, idling and with a load. I'll guess either wires or coil.

2- Get that flashlight out!

3- You can pull these and soak them IIRC, I don't remember what solution you can soak them to unclog them.

4- FPR? Fuel filter to start off and work up to FPR or the pump.

Educated guesses, good luck!
    1996 Galant S

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Buy new spark plugs, they are like $5. If that doesnt work, pull the plug on cyl 1 while its running and see if anything changes. If it still runs like crap with one plug wire removed, you might have a bad plug wire(could be a clogged injector too though).
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    sound like plugs, or wires. Did you check to see if you had a good cap and rotor and no cracks?

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

start with the cheapest thing first, plugs. then if that doesnt work pic up some hose and replace all the vacuum lines that you can see, just to narrow it down. if the outcome is the same, take a trip to the junkyard and pic up some fuel injectors. then move to wires, then fuel pump.

TGC Regular
    OK so i have sort of the same problem. For some reason my fuel filter gets clogged and it will mess with my idle and rpms. The only time it is fixed is when i romp on it. Its almost as though something gets caught and then when you romp on it it blows out. It could be misfiring on cylinder 1 because its not getting enough fuel. hence the low fuel presure. I would get a new fuel filter first they are like 15 bucks. For some reason i belive they get clogged very easy because i just replaced mine about a year ago and its giving me the same issue again. Now if it was an actual misfire from a plug or a wire it would be extreamly noticable. We only have 4 you can tell if we are only running on three. I would test the wire and pull it. see if it is n e different. Good luck man keep it posted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast