The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: I need some tips for sizing wheels.

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

I need some tips for sizing wheels.

I'm looking to cram the most aggressive offset, and fatest possible tire all around on my 7g.
    As i'm not a millionaire, I can't keep buying wheels/tire sets and discarding them until i find the perfect fittament.

I need some help figuring out what offset would be best, and how wide a wheel/tires I can fit.
    I'll also mention, that clearing evo9 Brembo's is a factor in my equation.

So, lets hear some knowlege guys.
    Last edited by DOHCstunr; 03-08-2009 at 11:54 PM

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You have to measure the actual width of space you have to start. Here is the method I've used for old school muscle and hotrods for wheel fitment.

#1 - Jack up the car, take of the wheel, and try to have it close to the ride height that you want.

#2 - Using a straight edge measure from the rotor hat up as far as possible (until you reach the closest point).

#3 - Then using a second straight edge measure inside as far as possible (until you hit either the body, or first suspension component.

#4 - Measure outside to the fender lip.

That gives you the actual width you have to work with, excluding cambering affects when the wheel and vehicle is on the ground. After you know the width you subtract about .75" on each side, which gives you enough room for the tire, especially if you want as wide as possible.

Here is a picture that may help. NOTE: The blue lines are the places you need to measure. Also to stress the point, don't forget about the caliper. I'd say your safest bet is to get a EVO caliper and then make a template of it and account for it in your measurements.

the problem is most wheel manufacturers will not have this info for you to check if the caliper will actually fit. I would check the dsm forums and see what are the wheels people were able to fit evo calipers and squeeze their wheels under their fenders

you can always use spacers if you need it