The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 96 Galant S Blown Engine

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20

96 Galant S Blown Engine

I have a 1996 Galant S with a blown engine. I have gotten a few price quotes on engines.

NEW: $2,700
    USED: $325
    REBUILT: Not in the question.

I am afraid that this car is just not worth the trouble of puting another used engine with the same or more miles on it that mine has. Can I put an engine/transmission from another make of mitsubishi in my body from a Lancer or Eclipse? I love the car but the task ahead of me seems greater than what I can handle. Any ideas of where I can find a master kit to rebuild this thing at a low price?
    -BlowN EnginE-

TGC Regular
    Is the head gasket blown or is it just trashed?

The oil light came on and it made a horrible noise like the main bearing or rod just beating the hell out of the block.. So I stopped and called my brother to get him to bring me some oil. So i put two quarts of oil in it and i cranked it.. Still the same noise. So I came back later that night to tow it back to the house but this time it made no noise until i got a mile down the road. then it started pounding again. I put another quart in it the next day, started the car, and the engine seized. At least it seems seized. I try to crank it and just a "womp" and the engine doesn't turn over. It has a brand new starter that i replaced 3 months ago so i know it isn't the starter not trying to crank it.
    -BlowN EnginE-

Can anyone tell me if this master kit will work in my car?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1993-...11210008r33061
    -BlowN EnginE-

TGC Regular
    It sounds to me loike its not even rebuilding man. If you want to rebuild one then buy a used oned from a junk yard and then rebuild that one.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Sounds like the timing went and you smashed all your valves, or it could have been a rod. That rebuild kit will work. The quality of it, not sure. You can get a Top Line gasket rebuild kit for around $110, then OEM Mitsu or the Hyundai pistons for about $120. OEM rings are outrageous, but you can get rings from Parts Dinosaur for $39.

Regardless, Id take the block apart, take it to a machine shop and have them look it over, hone the block, and probably bore it .020 over.

http://www.store.partsdinosaur.com/page209.html
    http://www.donherring.com/Parts.aspx
    7g for life!

TGC Regular
    ^What he said.

But I say keep looking for a used engine, just craigslist I've seen about 3 7Gs in North Carolina with bad trannies and the owners are selling the whole car for $250. Or you can just buy one of the cars and put your tranny in there.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Depends on what you wanted to do with the car. If you planned to keep the car and build the motor then its a good time to do it.

Now if you just wanted the car to be a daily, get you from A-B and not do anything crazy with the motor..then I would search for a used motor. Most reputable salvage yards will know the history of their inventory of cars of why they are salvage cars. This salvage yard I go to will even lend you a battery to do compression checks on a motor before you decide to pull it out and buy it.

Good Luck.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

I called Keys Auto Salvage in Murray Ky, and they want 325$ for a used engine but they don't know the mileage.. If I buy a used engine I want to know what the condition is. But anywho, I really want to buy that rebuild kit I posted and rebuild mine. I think it would be worth it if I did it myself and I might not put anything over 1k into it. But I have talked to a friend that owns a mechanic shop and he thinks I should just get a used motor. It would be worth more to me if I rebuilt it and started out with 0 miles. I guess what I am saying is, I want a tuner, not a ricer. The only problem is money. With the economy like it is, money is hard to come by.
    -BlowN EnginE-

Can I pull the motor from the top of this Galant or do I have to pull it from the bottom? Any ideas?
    -BlowN EnginE-

TGC Regular
    You can pull it from the top with a hoist.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Even if you get a used engine, Id recommend getting new timing components as you dont know the maintenance record of the motor.

IMO, if I was in your shoes, I would rebuild your motor. You never nkow what kind of shape a jyard motor is.
    7g for life!

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT View Post
    Even if you get a used engine, Id recommend getting new timing components as you dont know the maintenance record of the motor.

IMO, if I was in your shoes, I would rebuild your motor. You never nkow what kind of shape a jyard motor is.
    I agree with most people on here. I would rebuild my engine but i know to,it seems like your going to need a little help with rebuilding.. You probaly should buy a used one a install it with new timing parts!! Most Salvage tards around me have vehicle ID cards that come with the engines with milage,year,make,model,and car VIN and a 90 day warranty! Most reputible yards are honest and want you to come back.Its just a thought!!

If you do decide to rebuild.....I highly suggest you use factory ring sets: I have seen/heard of a few engines being rebuilt with aftermarket rings and after a few mins of running, oil was pouring out the exhaust.....in liquid form.

I'm pretty sure that would be due to improper ring gap. Correctly doing this requires measurements in the thousandths to not end up like that.
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

I'm just going to get a used motor from Key Auto Parts in Murray, KY and chance my luck...I will probably be posting on here alot, because I've never swapped engines before.
    -BlowN EnginE-

Well.. I just looked at the motor.. I've never seen so many wires in my life.. The only mechanical work I have done is changing a fly-wheel in a 78 f-150 and a water pump on an 87 lincoln town car.. and when my dad was alive, changed the starter on an 81 monte carlo about 25 times.. I might just part this car out and buy a rwd car.. This is ridiculous..
    -BlowN EnginE-

It's not as bad as what I thought once I took the breather and manifold off.. might not be as hard as I thought....
    -BlowN EnginE-

an FWD Galant is as easy as engine swaps get....

Mod Edit: Read the rules first. You can't sell without 50 contributing posts and a member for 45 days. Thanks!
    Last edited by Proto; 03-16-2009 at 05:17 PM Reason: cant read rules
    -BlowN EnginE-