The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Mitsubishi Research & Design America facility is now CLOSED!!1!

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20

Mitsubishi Research & Design America facility is now CLOSED!!1!

Wow, just wow
    After nine years of attempting to design vehicles specifically for the U.S. market, the Mitsubishi Research and Design of America office is being shuttered to save money. All 60 employees will be let go.

"It's a reflection of what is going on in the auto industry right now and the economy as a whole," said Moe Durand, spokesman for Mitsubishi. "Design functions will now revert fully to our headquarter's facilities in Japan."

The MRDA, established back in 2000 in Cypress, California, was formed as in an effort to design vehicles specifically for the U.S. market, rather than attempt to adapt Japanese designs. The office was responsible for the Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eclipse Sypder, Galant and the next-generation Montero Sport, which became the Endeavor. All were part of "Project America," or PS by internal designation. None was a major sales success.

"M.R.D.A. in Cypress did a lot of the work on the new Eclipse and Spyder," Durand said. "They had no real current projects under development. I think it has generally been acknowledged that the PS cars were not a success in the marketplace."

wow news to me... that was where MOD was since 2005! gonna try to get a hold of some of my contacts

Wow that sucks. This could turn out for the better though. We may like the changes coming from this...

we shall see
    Quote Originally Posted by jubeiaire View Post
    i know a guy that saw a guy that knew a guy that once passed by a car that had been painted. Ill ask him tomorrow after consulting my magic ball to determine WHERE YOU LIVE in proximity to a paint shop NEAR WHERE YOU LIVE..................

blue8g
    well since the cars designed in the US weren't as attactive as the non us designed cars it can only get better...i hope (except eclipse i hated the 01-05 eclipse, the new one is decent, the 95-99 is my fave!

There goes MOD on the west coast.
    Love,
    Matt

You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar
    Eh. Its going to happen until we get out of this. Not really a surprise. Now we will pay more for them to be imported.

CYPRESS, California — Mitsubishi Motors North America is closing down its Research and Design of America center here. The automaker will focus global design activities on its Tokyo center.

Mitsubishi will keep its Ann Arbor, Michigan, center, which is concentrating on electric-car R&D.

The California design center had been the focus of a Project America effort that started in 2000 and was intended to create U.S.-specific models. Among its output were such models as the Eclipse, the Galant and the Endeavor. In the past few years, the Cypress center was involved in the design for the Eclipse Spyder convertible, but had not been working on any major projects.

Mitsubishi Motors North America spokesman Dan Irvin says that going back to a single design studio is in line with the automaker's commitment to design global vehicles.

The company’s commitment has been to design global vehicles, and having a single design studio is consistent with that strategy,” said Dan Irvin, spokesman for Mitsubishi Motors North America. The automaker will maintain its U.S. headquarters in Cypress, where it employs 470 people, Irvin said.
    Love,
    Matt

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue8G View Post
    well since the cars designed in the US weren't as attactive as the non us designed cars it can only get better...i hope (except eclipse i hated the 01-05 eclipse, the new one is decent, the 95-99 is my fave!
    ^^x2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This dosent bother me at all. After the 8G and evo9 designsl; all the mitsus have been Fugly as hell. I mean just look at the atrocity that is the 9G, and all other mitsus after the 8G. Has anyone seen the new DIAMANTE?! WTF is up with that front end? the shit looks like a broke ass Nissan altima imitation. Mitsu US design team has been all over Nissan's nuts ever since at least 2004 which is pathetic. I dont even like the latest Evo.....it looks like a fucking Fish.

Mitsu designers in the US have been falling-off big time.
    Last edited by platano; 03-09-2009 at 04:02 PM

One thing I noticed when going to MOD and talking to the engineers is that they put together some sweet ass concepts but they said when they submit them to get approved they get watered down big time. I mean imagine if they would have built that Evo powered eclipse. Or even the concept Eclipse was pretty hot that they showed.
    Love,
    Matt

Banned
    thats a damn shame.

Quote Originally Posted by VegasMatt View Post

Mitsubishi will keep its Ann Arbor, Michigan, center, which is concentrating on electric-car R&D.
    I just wanted to say WOOT! Go Ann Arbor!

i agree with others i love japans and other countries mitsu's alot better

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    They should bring over the evolander..

Quote Originally Posted by platano View Post
    ^^x2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This dosent bother me at all. After the 8g and evo9 designsl; all the mitsus have been fugly as hell. I mean just look at the atrocity that is the 9g, and all other mitsus after the 8g. Has anyone seen the new diamante?! Wtf is up with that front end? The shit looks like a broke ass nissan altima imitation. Mitsu us design team has been all over nissan's nuts ever since at least 2004 which is pathetic. I dont even like the latest evo.....it looks like a fucking fish.

Mitsu designers in the us have been falling-off big time.
    +1000

Mitsubishi should bring back the Turbo awd line up like they had in the past...Their lineup should have been...Evolander, Eclipse AWD (GSX), Galant VR4, Evolution X (MR), Diamante (Luxury), Endeavor Ralliart (Turbo charged perhaps to go against the SRT8 jeep), and maybe if they were strong enough maybe a redesigned 3000GT Twin Turbo....If Mitsubishi had this line up I think they would have survived...like Subaru. Of course keep the Lancer as the economy vehicle to fight against the civic and elantra. In addition, add a hybrid Lancer...

Good! I mean I'm sad those people lost their jobs but the American designed cars were ugly and nobody was buying them so what was the point of designing cars to American needs when even Americans didn't want them!!
    The First Supercharged 4cyl Galant!!!!!!!!

www.rippmods.com

Before there were any, there was me.

Quote Originally Posted by youngin3 View Post
    Wow that sucks. This could turn out for the better though. We may like the changes coming from this...
    IMO we have no cool new cars to look forward to as emissions requirements get stricter and everyone cries about fucking greenhouse gas

Quote Originally Posted by starh4x View Post
    IMO we have no cool new cars to look forward to as emissions requirements get stricter and everyone cries about fucking greenhouse gas
    i'll take a Tesla Roadster, thanks