The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: stutters and dies...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 31 of 31
    Ditto, if it is in fact the IAC, I'd like to take A) the cheaper route and B) the more, erm "tunable" route.

RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

Experienced TGC Member
    Try disconnecting your battery and let the car sit for 10-15 minutes. Re-connect the battery, start the car up, and let it sit for about 15-20 minutes.

It really does sound like when you disconnected and re-connected your battery you didnt let the car sit in "P" long enough. Ive had that problem before. Was fixed simply by disconnecting and re-connecting the battery again, and letting the car sit while running for about 15-20 minutes.

*** When "oiling" your K & N Filter how much oil did you use? If you used too much, you probably messed up your MAS sensor.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    i've been going through the same kinda BS. my idle was out for spec for the smog gorillas, so i switched back to my OEM throttle body with the two valves, and it was horrible. the car was studdering and idled like crap. i switched back to my TB w/ blockoff plate, put my TPS sensor into spec, and my idle is flawless now.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

TGC Regular
    I forget how exactly do you tune your tps? I had it out of wack really bad 4 a while and then i tuned it to a feel and it ran ok idk it could be that... Its not 100% spec though

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    the TPS outputs a voltage range of 0.35v - 5v to the computer to let it know the position of your throttle. ~4.5 - 5v is WOT. anything <~0.9 is idle. the haynes/chilton manual says to set it to 0.9v at idle, but this is usually wrong, as the idle position of the TPS is measured by resistance from the sensor and not the output voltage from the harness.

it is calibrated by using the above. once you get your idle sorted and it's stable, you want to set your TPS (with the car off) to the specs by the closed throttle position switch at the bottom of that page.
    Last edited by peanotation; 03-12-2009 at 04:01 PM
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by 6G72Galant View Post
    It really does sound like when you disconnected and re-connected your battery you didnt let the car sit in "P" long enough. Ive had that problem before. Was fixed simply by disconnecting and re-connecting the battery again, and letting the car sit while running for about 15-20 minutes.
    When "oiling" your K & N Filter how much oil did you use? If you used too much, you probably messed up your MAS sensor.
    A) Overnight, I unhooked the battery again just to make sure, lol. B) As much oil as I always use, and never had an issue. I've cleaned and oiled it at least a dozen times since I got the filter over two years ago. Clean, air dry, light oil (but yet covering the entire surface area), let it air out a while, then install.

So here's the dealio now, in order to keep any more damage from happening to my auto tranny (popping into neutral to rev to keep it from dying), I have heard you can still manually up the idle while the IAC is plugged in. I need to at least do this until I can order the blockoff plate and have it delivered. Or wait, why have a blockoff plate at all, all you need to do is unplug the IAC and it's now it's own plug... So where is this idle adjustment located anywho? I just need my baby to be drivable :(

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    For a 2g, but close enough:
    http://www.vfaq.com/mods/BISS-2G.html
    7g for life!

You are all life savers!!! I'mma dig into this tomorrow when the garage is empty (freezing outside).

Erm, since I'm yanking the IAC out of the equation all together, I won't need to use a scan tool right? Basically play it by ear?
    Last edited by ohgrfreak; 03-12-2009 at 08:44 PM

Just an update:

I am definately gonna leave it like this and use the blockoff plate. The rubber cover for the BIIS was missing, kinda random, but whatever, I backed the screw out roughly 720 degrees (2 full turns) and now it idles a lot better than I can remember in recent history.

TGC Regular
    wow ok i just got a price from the parts guy that i go to for the iac motor the list price is 500!!!!! are you shitting me! ok time for tghe block off plate!!!! and the tps is 160 that rediculious!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12