The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Unknown noise, knock from engine...

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

Unknown noise, knock from engine...

Noise coming from engine, been discribed as piston slap, tapping/knocking noise. Noise continues to get lauder when i accelerate. Ive recently changed the sparkys, leads, oil and filter.

Help would me much apreciated.

TGC Regular
    Check the compression of the cylinders. If it is off then i sound like its time for a rebuild....

Were you having this problem before you did all this work? If not, pull the spark plugs out and make sure that the piston is not hitting them.......they might be too long.

TGC Regular
    Oh yea i didnt even think of that.

mine made noise and it was (and still is) lifter tick but i dont think it gets louder when i accelerate just idle and its a light tap

seafoam your engines and run some 5w-20 or 10w-20 oil, if you dont have oil leaks of course. i did that and the lifter tick reduced significantly.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

I know what lifter tick sounds like, i had it before this,, this is alot loader. Ive been trying to chase seafoam, im having trouble finding it in Australia. I'm pretty sure compresion is good, ive got an oil pressure gauge in my car.

The problem did start a few weeks after i changed the sparkys, maybe stuck em in to tight. will have a look(witch is a prick, got the 2l V6)

Just quickly, im new on here, wanting to know how to post pictures on a message

thnx for all your help.

make sure you use the correct spark plugs. As it was said above you might have pick longer thread plugs and your pistons were hitting them. maku sure the gap is correct,

Pictures: make an account at photobucket.com, upload your pics and copy and paste the IMG code

Build Thread

The sparkys i changed are the same as the ones that where in there, you wouldnt know what the clearance for them are.

Last edited by Star_DS; 03-11-2009 at 09:57 PM

You reckon if the timing belt slipped a notch, would couse the piston to hit the valves?

very posible

Build Thread