The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Car audio problem...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Showing results 41 to 60 of 78
    Experienced TGC Member showtime's Avatar
    did you buy it?!?!?! Im working on my next system... a few L5's :)

They were sold out of the MTX amp, and I coulnd't find the damn thing anywhere, so I found the Alpine for 152$ shipped, went with that.

alpine is solid, you will like it.

Gets here today, so I'll let you guys know how it sounds.

Alright, got it installed. It doesn't hit nearly as hard as it did before, and it will be fine, then all of a sudden cut out, then back in....

maybe I should redo my half ass wiring job?

The gain, crossover, and the other knob, I forgot what it was, where should those be adjusted to? Or is it setup dependent? I have stock speakers all around.

Probably gain, crossover and bass boost. Yes they should be tuned to what sounds best without distortion.

Set your crossover somewhere between 80 and 140khz.
    The gain is just a way to compensate for the difference between the volume of the speakers and the volume of the subs.
    The bass boost is there for just a little more kick in the lower end, but is usually abused by most people. I have mine all the way down. That way it sounds the way it is supposed to versus being all boomy.

Try not to turn the gain up any more then 3/4 the way. It helps save the amp from working to hard and frying. It's works the amp hard kind of like the bass boost does. Thats if you turn the gain fully up.

Quote Originally Posted by littlerick View Post
    i agree totally, i overlooked the rms of the amp i just quickly scanned and thought it was 600 rms and not peak. yeah you definately need a bigger amp
    X2. If you want to throw in some extra money...bridge the subs and go for a mono amp..(class D) ..I dont think any issue will come of that. Even if you dont, you are getting a bigger amp..which means you may want to look at getting a Cap. maybe 1F. Tsunami makes great Caps for low prices...i never had an issue with them at all.

I got the alpine Mono block D class amp, 500 watt RMS 1000 peak for the subs mentioned earlier

dude you will be fine with that amp, it slams. are you upgrading your wires?

Well think I'm gong to redo all of the wiring, since the bass is barely loud at the moment, and sometimes cuts out, which leads me to believe the wiring is bad or half assed

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    u should be able to handle 8 Gage wire with that amp but i would go 4 Gage if u dont know check ur wire it will say it right on it

-Hot Wire 8 Gage But 4 will be better
    -Ground Wire 8 Gage but 4 will be better now if u whent with 4 Gage hot then u have to run 4 Gage ground
    -12 Gage speaker wire from Amp to Sub Box to Subs Make sure u wire them correctly
    - Remote Wire from head unit to Amp
    -and u will need a Cap at least a 2 farat or greater
    -Once all check outs then fine tune ur amp and Head unit
    -one more time Tune ur amp and haed unit

Good Luck
    03 I4

jimmy is right, spend the extra few bucks on 4 gauge. You can use 8 gauge but its not worth it.

I don't know if the 2 farad capacitor is necessary. I have a 1000 watt nominal power amp and my lights only dim when I have it maxed out.

I am running 5 gauge wire front to back and am on stock charging system with a regular battery. Nothing special.

4 gauge wire is a good size wire for most systems. KnuKonceptz.com is a nice cheap place to get the kit and is good wire. I think 30 or so for a 4gauge 2 channel kit. Also if you have any doubts about your wiring refer to this page. http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/wo...igurations.asp and just plug in your info. Good Luck. BTW a lot of people dont use caps anymore just extra batteries. But if thats not a option then 1fared cap + will work.

No it wont im running the older version of that amp and mine is 550 rms with brand new battery and stock charging system with a 1.5 farat cap and i still dim

and my setup is just like i said above 4 gage ground and hot 12 gage from amp 2 subs monster remote wire and 12 Gage RCA and only running 1 amp to subs no amp for the inside trust me get a 2 or + farat
    Last edited by jimmy_o2; 05-11-2009 at 11:33 AM
    03 I4

Quote Originally Posted by youngin3 View Post
    I don't know if the 2 farad capacitor is necessary. I have a 1000 watt nominal power amp and my lights only dim when I have it maxed out.

I am running 5 gauge wire front to back and am on stock charging system with a regular battery. Nothing special.
    are u sure u 5 Gage theres no such thing there 16 14 12 10 8 6 4 2 0 never heard of a 5 check ur wires u might have a 4 if its pretty thick
    Last edited by jimmy_o2; 05-11-2009 at 11:34 AM
    03 I4

Nah, it is 5 gauge. It is scosche bullshit. I got it for free though. Metal is metal, so why not use it?

And I guess it just depends on the car and the kind of system.

I have 1400 watts total between both of my amps and I push them all the way and they will dim my lights only when hitting mid/low notes. I usually don't have and issue, and I took the capacitor out because it just got in the way all the time and I worried about shorting it out...
    Last edited by youngin3; 05-11-2009 at 11:48 AM

never heard of 5 gauge wires...

Well that is what it says on the wire. I can take pictures later for you guys if it needs proof. haha

I can't now because my car is with my mom in dallas. She is working the overnight shift at the hospital... =\

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast