The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 8g AWD..Half way done.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Showing results 61 to 80 of 133
    do you need the knuvkle from the EVO also if you ran the EVO 6-speed FWD?
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    do you need the knuvkle from the EVO also if you ran the EVO 6-speed FWD?
    any time your using an EVO trans you need EVO axles and EVO axles need EVO hubs and EVO hubs need EVO knuckles, and so fourth. The EVO 6 speed trans is JUNK thats why so many MR guys swap back to 5 speed, the 6 speed stuff is expensive, its weak, there arent as many readily available parts, nobody really builds them up.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

^good info......
    we always learn something new everyday...!!!
    My Mk4 is like a Black Hole you enter in it and who the hell knows what'll happen next???
    I sure don't, do you?

well if youre only going for 300 hp, the 6speed is just fine. It seems the people who break the 6 speeds are also racing heavily or have high hp

Quote Originally Posted by qnz View Post
    well if youre only going for 300 hp, the 6speed is just fine. It seems the people who break the 6 speeds are also racing heavily or have high hp
    at the same time if your only going for 300hp the eclipse 5 speed trans is fine with an LSD. No sense in spending a TON of money doing an EVO trans swap when you dont need that much strength in the trans. The gearing in the EVO trans is also meant for rally/road racing on a high revving engine. The 7,000 RPM redline of a stock 4G64 motor sucks for top end in a trans with such low end gearing, you would likely need to shift into 3rd before you even got to 65 mph under heavy acceleration.
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    at the same time if your only going for 300hp the eclipse 5 speed trans is fine with an LSD. No sense in spending a TON of money doing an EVO trans swap when you dont need that much strength in the trans. The gearing in the EVO trans is also meant for rally/road racing on a high revving engine. The 7,000 RPM redline of a stock 4G64 motor sucks for top end in a trans with such low end gearing, you would likely need to shift into 3rd before you even got to 65 mph under heavy acceleration.
    I'm not planning to have a lot of power. maybe 400whp at most. I'm also setting the car up for road racing with the possibility of an EVO swap. Is it really THAT weak??

I'm using the stock 4G64 trans for the stock 4G64, until I blow it up atleast. Then I'll probably opt for the EVO IX MIVEC 4G63T with the MR 6-speed.

Are the knuckles/hub/etc. a bolt on affair? or do I have to fabricate anything?

I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

The knuckles fit into the strut but you have to bend open the strut a little since the Evo knuckle is about 1/8" wider up top. I'm not sure how much cutting is involved in making a 6 speed trans fit, I had to do a fair amount of cutting/shimming to make the evo 5 speed trans fit.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    The knuckles fit into the strut but you have to bend open the strut a little since the Evo knuckle is about 1/8" wider up top. I'm not sure how much cutting is involved in making a 6 speed trans fit, I had to do a fair amount of cutting/shimming to make the evo 5 speed trans fit.
    ah. Are you boxing the cuts up or leaving them open? wouldnt leaving them open compromise structural integrity of the sub frame?

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    ah. Are you boxing the cuts up or leaving them open? wouldnt leaving them open compromise structural integrity of the sub frame?
    the cuts I have made are really to non-structural areas of the subframe, in the long term, if I ever do the AWD conversion im going to have a tubular front subframe fabricated. It will not only save weight but it will allow things to be mounted clean and correctly, while still maintaining proper strength.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

any updates cali??
    8g tranny is being rebuilt and waiting on ground control coilovers
    7g is just sitting motor and tranny is out(need to finish, just lazy)
    6g (vr4) motor is out getting the good stuff like a gt4088 and some more stupid stuff.
    Nice to be back!!!!

Oooo no...i've got two cars to finish before i even continue working on the galant.
    From Boost Addicts to Carbon Fanatics™ www.socalautowerks.com

Censee: Im trying to pimp some hoes for money for the lsd. 3/28/2011
    Cali: Sig 3/28/2011

jeez! in deep!
    The "Tumbler" Is Here
    Stock Longblock/Stock PCM | Custom Garrett 50-1 | 17 Psi | Weighing 2xxxLbs
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]

i just read the entire club3g tut on the awd swap... so i gotta ask... any updates lol

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Quote Originally Posted by galantman03 View Post
    i just read the entire club3g tut on the awd swap... so i gotta ask... any updates lol
    i second that question... i recently joined this forum and have been reading quite a bit because i'm about to jump headfirst into a full 8g vr4 clone build myself. i am relatively active on a couple of other lancer/evo forums and know the value of the search button, but I have yet to find out for sure, was that a 2g rear subframe or evo 8/9 that you are using? maybe i just haven't looked hard enough yet tho. i realize the 2g would be much more likely to direct bolt-in versus the evo style, but then stewi started talking about evo part matching and i'm all confused. lol. thanks.

edit: i also realize this thread is over a year old since the last update, and more clues may be found by reading everything that's been posted since, but i haven't gotten that far yet and i'm half awake as i type this
    Last edited by 03chi-town0z; 07-21-2010 at 07:54 PM

Quote Originally Posted by 03chi-town0z View Post
    i second that question... i recently joined this forum and have been reading quite a bit because i'm about to jump headfirst into a full 8g vr4 clone build myself. i am relatively active on a couple of other lancer/evo forums and know the value of the search button, but I have yet to find out for sure, was that a 2g rear subframe or evo 8/9 that you are using? maybe i just haven't looked hard enough yet tho. i realize the 2g would be much more likely to direct bolt-in versus the evo style, but then stewi started talking about evo part matching and i'm all confused. lol. thanks.

edit: i also realize this thread is over a year old since the last update, and more clues may be found by reading everything that's been posted since, but i haven't gotten that far yet and i'm half awake as i type this
    I'm pretty sure, wait, lol I'm positive its from a 2g... i believe the evo parts you need are the tranny, knuckles, transfer case, and a couple other things i can't remember off the top of my head, hopefully someone chimes in with all the answers... or some lol

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    you use a 2g Auto Awd rear,axles t-case and all,gas tank etc.....with evo front parts tranny axles hubs knuckles..as stewi mentioned..if im not mistaken evo rear end does not bolt on...although the 2g manual does its t-case uses a diff ratio which you can't use on the evo transmission but Auto is a perfect match
    Last edited by 02redgalant; 07-21-2010 at 11:24 PM

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    I thought the gas tank was a JDM 8th Gen Galant tank not an eclipse?
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

:D

From Boost Addicts to Carbon Fanatics™ www.socalautowerks.com

Censee: Im trying to pimp some hoes for money for the lsd. 3/28/2011
    Cali: Sig 3/28/2011

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    just had that sittin around huh. lol

ooooh

well at least something is happening to it

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast