The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 8g AWD..Half way done.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Showing results 81 to 100 of 133
    damn! that engine looks good. How much boost are you planning on pushing?

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

always nice to see a wrecked 4g63 put to good use cali; i've read good things so far, so i can't wait to see what you do with it. for everyone else, thanks for all the info, i really do appreciate it. although the trans is not what i'm worried about, just rear end/subframe components, which i would imagine now that either auto or manual 2g would work and i just need to match the final drive ratio to the front with new diff. internals when its all done. the car's gonna be 6a13tt/5m/awd imported, so i'll have a custom driveshaft made for connective purposes. thanks again everyone!

wow seems like everyone is gunning for a awd 8g, myself included.

I cant wait to see your car awd!!

Im buying a rear end tomorrow...Do i need the rear hubs for these axles to go in??Also can i use my shocks and rear knuckle for this swap?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    I know you can use the 8g shocks and im not sure about the knuckles though, you definetly need the hubs because the stock 8g rear hubs arent hollow & splined for an axle.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

^Gotcha...Imma try and get this rear on in a week or so..Got the whole thing for $220.00 with gas tank and all

so i read through the tut on club3g last night, and i know if we fit the evo tranny in our car, we have to knotch out the subframe to get it to fit. now i know eclipse and galants are mostly the same, but he didn't mention anything about knotch the front subframe for the evo tranny to fit in the eclipse, is the eclipse front subframe different? as in it doesn't require you to knotch it out? also does it bolt right up to the galant and everything lines up? just curious thats all

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Quote Originally Posted by galantman03 View Post
    so i read through the tut on club3g last night, and i know if we fit the evo tranny in our car, we have to knotch out the subframe to get it to fit. now i know eclipse and galants are mostly the same, but he didn't mention anything about knotch the front subframe for the evo tranny to fit in the eclipse, is the eclipse front subframe different? as in it doesn't require you to knotch it out? also does it bolt right up to the galant and everything lines up? just curious thats all
    Im not sure who's tutorial you read, but the only people really sharing knowledge over there on this topic were Slava who hasnt been around in a while, Balla, Ithinkyou and BostonHatcher. Boston and Balla both have pics up of how they cut the subframe, reinforced it and then spaced the steering rack down lower. I know for a fact that you have to trim the subframe to fit the back of the bell housing (remember I have an EVO trans in my car now) and the reall cutting is to fit the transfer case. You need to cut/reinforce alot of the center area of the front subframe and also cut into the firewall on the bottom to give the transfer case vertical clearance. Boston has alot of good pics in his original thread.
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

It was bostons build thread, i guess i didn't really pay attention to the subframe, i thought he just cut it out to fit the tcase and, i didn't see that he mentioned about knotching it for the evo tranny too lol. speaking of which, whats the word on the custom front subframe?
    edit: so i went back and looked at the thread, i guess he never took any pics of the front, just of the aft of the front subframe, since that was mainly the focus cuz of the tcase... bummer lol
    Last edited by Galantman03; 12-05-2010 at 06:05 PM

It was bostons build thread, i guess i didn't really pay attention to the subframe, i thought he just cut it out to fit the tcase and, i didn't see that he mentioned about knotching it for the evo tranny too lol. speaking of which, whats the word on the custom front subframe?
    edit: so i went back and looked at the thread, i guess he never took any pics of the front, just of the aft of the front subframe, since that was mainly the focus cuz of the tcase... bummer lol
    I just checked the thread, looks like that pic I was talking about disappeared from his thread....BUT WAIT........... I however, did not lose it, I kept it after he first sent it to me...

99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

so thats the only knotching to fit the evo tranny? interesting it almost looks like its knotched right where the two housings blot to one another

I sure hope more was done with that subframe. Driving a car with that in it would scare the piss out of me. If that lets go your front wheels are going anywhere they please and so is the rest of the car.

That said, without seeing the rest of it and what was done after this picture was taken I would not duplicate it. The original fabricator may very well have added extra bracing that can't be seen in the photos.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

so thats the only knotching to fit the evo tranny? interesting it almost looks like its knotched right where the two housings blot to one another
    take a closer look. Look at the driver side of the subframe (right side in the pic) see where the top of the rack comes out, now look down, there is a "window" cut there to clear the bell housing, just below the window the subframe is notched out on the bottom
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by eclipsh View Post
    I sure hope more was done with that subframe. Driving a car with that in it would scare the piss out of me. If that lets go your front wheels are going anywhere they please and so is the rest of the car.

That said, without seeing the rest of it and what was done after this picture was taken I would not duplicate it. The original fabricator may very well have added extra bracing that can't be seen in the photos.
    Also.... take a closer look. Look to the bottom of the subframe, see that giant steel I-beam down there, doesnt come from the factory like that. There is an I-Beam on the front and back of the subframe welded in, trust me, that thing isnt going anywhere.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    Also.... take a closer look. Look to the bottom of the subframe, see that giant steel I-beam down there, doesnt come from the factory like that. There is an I-Beam on the front and back of the subframe welded in, trust me, that thing isnt going anywhere.
    2x thats the most solid piece on the car..

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    take a closer look. Look at the driver side of the subframe (right side in the pic) see where the top of the rack comes out, now look down, there is a "window" cut there to clear the bell housing, just below the window the subframe is notched out on the bottom
    ah ok a little more than what i saw first, but still less than what i actually thought. I think i might just go a custom tubular one for many reason though...

ah ok a little more than what i saw first, but still less than what i actually thought. I think i might just go a custom tubular one for many reason though...
    Your gonna spend 1000+ to have that done with little performance gain, other than maybe a 10lb weight savings. I priced out having a local place do it here, they fab that type of stuff all the time and I was quoted 1500-2000.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

You guys keep this thread alive although Cali hasnt posted since July. just wondering
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

just wondering what?
    From Boost Addicts to Carbon Fanatics™ www.socalautowerks.com

Censee: Im trying to pimp some hoes for money for the lsd. 3/28/2011
    Cali: Sig 3/28/2011

Damn Cali...I just checked this thread....you indeed are a mad man! LOL. Its gonna be the shit when its done. Hopefully I can make MOD '11 so I can run some ideas I have for mine by you! I'll hire you for a job! LOL

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast