The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: MFI Relay again? SOLVED.

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5
    Senior TGC Member

MFI Relay again? SOLVED.

Well, today after running the 75 shot of nitrous going home, my car wouldn't start about 30 minutes later. Once again, the battery, brake, and oil lamps lit up on the dash, just like the first time I had the MFI relay replaced, so I automatically assumed it was that. On trying again the car hesitated and slowly groaned to life, and it was fine for about 30 minutes of continuous running. Then when I was shipping the downpipe it died on me again, same exact symptoms. Luckily it started once more (and never died on the road thank God), and I went straight home as quickly as I could. I was comparing the environment with pre-repair (and non-nitrous) and post-repair (i.e. today) and noticed that in both scenarios there was a sudden temperature change to cold. That's about all I know. Any ideas? Was it the nitrous? The dyno? At least this time the car was able to start twice. I'm thinking about taking it to the dealership, because if it is the MFI relay again then they'll do it under their repair warranty. They said the original problem was not modification related, but they charged me because my factory warranty was already voided, and won't this time. Or is there something causing my MFI relay to go poof?
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

honestly, i have NEVER replaced a MFI relay on any mitsu ever built.

if you have that group of dash lights coming on, it sounds a lot more like charging system issues.

it shouldnt be related to the nitrous, but who knows?

Senior TGC Member
    Makes me boggle myself...I have got to be the first person ever that had the MFI relay replaced. All I know is that the first time the alternator checked out fine, as did the battery...or so they said. Does that still leave the charging system as a possible cause? Or maybe it's the spark plugs? I honestly have no idea but everytime I flip open the hood it started up which I was grateful for (and boggled even more over).
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

sorry i cant be more help.. but this is one of those "i have to see it to figure it out" problems.

Senior TGC Member
    We figured it out...everything checked out fine but had me scared for a while. Turns out it was caused indirectly by my use of nitrous after all. When I sprayed there was almost no bottle pressure (it's 43 out here and I have no bottle warmer at the moment) so all it did was flood the engine full of fuel and no oxidizer. That's why the car didn't start the first few times, and why after the second time I tried to use nitrous it died again a few minutes of idling later.