The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: whats the advantage of coilovers?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 22

whats the advantage of coilovers?

whats the advantage of coilovers?

height adjustment. Damper force adjustment. Camber adjustment.

They're more versatile in my opinion.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    they make your car look mad tight.

Experienced TGC Member
    just like them blue bulbz son!
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    just the fact that they are 100% customizable to the car/ application...whether just driving around or racing...you can also get a much lower ride height then any drop spring available

ok cool, thanks, you guys know your stuff...

Experienced TGC Member
    Also keep in mind, there are two different types of coilovers, the sleeve type that slide over your existing shocks and struts and the full racing coilover.
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

full coilovers (which include short body dampers) are made for lowered suspensions, meaning the actual dampers themselves are shorter and will not bottom out like a stock size unit which will allready be compressed through sometimes more than half it's stoke on a lowered vehicle creating alot of stress on the damper (the reason most lowered cars blow their shocks prematurely). a short body damper will still posses almost all it's travel when lowered and will offer a much longer life and consistent performance at lowered stances. rule of thumb is if you are planning to dropp more than 1.5", full coilovers are the best choice (unless you want bags). almost every car on here dropped over 2" is on full coilovers or bags.

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGO_ONE View Post
    height adjustment. Damper force adjustment. Camber adjustment.

They're more versatile in my opinion.
    So if i get coilovers i dont need a camber kit?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruvim555 View Post
    So if i get coilovers i dont need a camber kit?
    well the way our suspension works, only the front is adjustable via the top mounts (if you get coilovers w/ adjustable camber plates on the front pair). the rear will still need seperate camber kits/spacers etc. to correct for deep drops.

Nice...another reason why i should get coilovers instead of a spring/strut combo...

is that the adjastable camber?
    |
    |
    V

^^^ that could be the damper adjustment....

Where are all these adjustments located and how do you adjust all of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruvim555 View Post
    Nice...another reason why i should get coilovers instead of a spring/strut combo...

is that the adjastable camber?
    |
    |
    V

the four bolts and the slots are for adjusting camber, but they are only available on coilovers w/ upper mount camber plates and for the front only (because they wouldn't be able to adjust camber on the rear on our cars because of suspension design). to adjust rear camber you still need to get a rear camber kit. the center of the strut's shaft top has a part that rotates to adjust damping force.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteGalant View Post
    just like them blue bulbz son!
    lmao... you guys remind me of the family guy episodes that throw in old jokes from other episodes...lol.. except here... they got the gangsta wanna be stealing " them blue bulbz son" from pepboys or w/e lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax View Post
    the center of the strut's shaft top has a part that rotates to adjust damping force.
    that only applies to Teins I think. The D2's have the damper adjustment knob at the bottom of the damper body.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Coilovers will give you a chance to raise/lower your car depending on how you please. If you were going on a road trip for instance you can raise it for roads you dont know and you can lower your G for looks. Def go with Coilovers you may regret it in the future if you dont Good luck with what ever you choice bro, just PLEASE dont get them Blue Shitz yo! from autozone they are terrible and even though they are like 11.99 you NEED to steal them for them to be original Blue Shitz yo
    ~Gabe

When I feel like eating a banana, I like to go to the zoo, sucker punch a gorilla and try to run with a banana hanging out my bum. Then if I succeed, I enjoy my victory with said banana and a stroopwaffle.

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    that only applies to Teins I think. The D2's have the damper adjustment knob at the bottom of the damper body.
    maybe. but it looked like an adjustment knob in the picture. some coilovers have the knob at the bottom, some on the side, some on top... and some have different locations for front than rear.

coilovers give you this stance and an OEM ride
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

Experienced TGC Member showtime's Avatar
    I have never heard of coilovers having an OEM ride, not trying to call you out on anything, its just a first for me. I hear they normally very bumpy?

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    Megans damper adjustment knob is in the same place as the Teins.

Quote Originally Posted by showtime View Post
    I have never heard of coilovers having an OEM ride, not trying to call you out on anything, its just a first for me. I hear they normally very bumpy?
    That depends on the spring rate, and the overall damper settings (softness or stiffness).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast