The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Hyundai Sonata 5-speed Transmission

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 124
    TGC Regular

Hyundai Sonata 5-speed Transmission

Dont know if this has been researched, since the Hyundai block is the same as the Mitsubishi can we use the Sonata's 5 speed transmission. I've been searching and found out that some 99 and up Sonata's have 5 speed transmission and since the the Sonata uses the same platform as the Galant we might be able to the shifter assembly. I just need to find a 99 and up Sonata at the junkyard. And instead of swapping the head you swap the entire engine.

Heres one car on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-...3A1|240%3A1318

good thought.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

TGC Regular
    If it does fit, it would be a lot cheaper than trying to get Eclipse cause theres a 2005 engine for $300 and tranny for $300.

Quote Originally Posted by remarque View Post
    If it does fit, it would be a lot cheaper than trying to get Eclipse cause theres a 2005 engine for $300 and tranny for $300.
    exactly what I was thinking and knowing Mitsu and Hyundai theyre probably of the same quality.

I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

the sonata is butt ugly. doesnt deserve 5 speed

the sonata used the G4JS

here is a comparison

4G64

The longitudinal 4G64 is the second largest variant, at (2350 cc). Early models were 8-valve SOHC, but a later 16-valve SOHC and DOHC version was also produced. All used MPFI with an 86.5 mm bore and 100 mm stroke. The 4G64 was also available with gasoline direct injection. The version used in the Chrysler Sebring/Stratus coupes produced 152 hp (110 kW) at 5500 rpm with 162 ft·lbf (214 N·m) of torque at 4000 rpm. The Chrysler version features fracture-split forged powder metal connecting rods. The 4g64 is an interference motor like the 4g63.
    Applications:

Others:

The large G4JS (also called the 2.4 D ) is the 2.4 L (2351 cc) engine. Engine dimensions are different from other Sirius blocks at 86.5 mm (bore) and 100 mm (stroke). Output is 149 hp (103 kW) at 5500 rpm with 157 ft.lbf (199 Nm) of torque at 3000 rpm. It has a cast iron engine block and aluminum DOHC cylinder heads. It uses MFI fuel injection, has 4 valves per cylinder and features forged steel connecting rods.
    This Engine is no longer used by Hyundai
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

The Sonata was designed by Hyundai and featured Mitsubishi's engineering, including its 2.4 L 110 hp (82 kW) Sirius I4 engine as used in American-market models. A 3.0 L V6 based on the Mitsubishi 6G72 arrived in 1990. The U.S. model received the 2.0 L engine for the 1992, replacing the original 2.4 L engine.

The Mitsubishi Sirius or 4G6 engine is the name of one of Mitsubishi Motors' four series of straight-4 automobile engines, along with Astron, Orion, and Saturn.
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Ok just to put get a real answer on this. As far as the motor is concerned, yes it will fit. How do I Know this? Top Level Performance has a complete sonata motor that they built in thier 9 second drag EVO. Some of the sonata motors even have oil squirters like the EVO's and DSMs which is a nice bonus. In theory the tranny should work, I dont know about the cables and shifters as the mounting location could be a little different which would cause the cable length to be an issue. The best way is to try and get a pic of the tranny, check the forums, they gotta have Hyundai forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

TGC Regular
    Heres a pic of a 99 and up transmission. Can you guys tell from looking, Im searching for better pics now.

that looks about right. but cant really tell if the bellhousing bolt pattern matches without having to see it in person next to the Galant trans.

someone find this out so i can buy this
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

The other thing to consider is if the transmission mount would be the same

Auto G4JS: F4A42(Galant) and F4A51(Diamante)
    Manual G4JS: M5GF1

Hyundai Gear Ratio
    94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

not to jack this thread but couldnt we use the older outlander tranny too? since the older ones use the 4g64. Ive also heard that we could use tiburon trannys but dont know how much truth there is in that, however the man i soucrced this info from has been building custom imports for 13 plus years, mostly mitsu's too

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    that looks about right. but cant really tell if the bellhousing bolt pattern matches without having to see it in person next to the Galant trans.
    The bell housing bolt pattern would have to be the same if it bolts up to an EVO tranny, which bolts up to our 4G64 and our trannies bolt to the EVO 4G63's.
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    The bell housing bolt pattern would have to be the same if it bolts up to an EVO tranny, which bolts up to our 4G64 and our trannies bolt to the EVO 4G63's.
    yay!!! I might have to look for a Sonata 5-speed.

If we use this tranny with the Eclipse cables, it should be ok right?? since the lengthe would vary on the shell and not the trans itself?

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    yay!!! I might have to look for a Sonata 5-speed.

If we use this tranny with the Eclipse cables, it should be ok right?? since the lengthe would vary on the shell and not the trans itself?
    In theory. yes.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

well i guess we'll find out for sure in two to three weeks
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

TGC Regular
    I did some searching on a Tibby forum, a guy did the evo swap on his Tibby and I believe he used his Hyundai 5-speed. I'm not sure because he didnt exactly say what transmission he used but I do know they we may need to make a custom transmission mount. Again I'm not 100% sure, the guys on the forum dont go into great detail about their swap.

why a hundai tranny? are they cheaper?

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast