The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Hyundai Sonata 5-speed Transmission

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Showing results 101 to 120 of 124
    the cables shouldnt matter because everything is from the sonata except the clutch set and axles . if anything i can probably use the sonata axles.

Only sonata f5m42 swapped. N/A build in motion.

So does the tranny work for our cars?

wait and see when i swap it in at spring break. only problems i ran in to was using the 3g eclipse fly/clutch set witch wont work because its a push style clutch and the sonata is pull style clutch. so the 3g eclipse tob wont work with the sonata transmission unless converted to push style. theres no need for me to convert to push style seeing that i wont be seeing any type of heavy duty clutchs etc in the galant even if i do the clutch pedal will just be stiffer cause of the pull style(as i researched).

The stock sonata double plain flywheel sucks (well double plain flywheels in general as i red) when it comes to engine moding etc. they do offer a conversion kit that runs for 400-500 with the whole fly/clutch/tob set. I kept on searching and found a single plain flywheel for the santa fe which has the same engine clutch etc as the sonata. keep in mind that the santa fe comes with a double plain flywheel from factory . so this flywheel i bought is a oem replacement still waiting for it to be shipped and if it bolts up to my sonata pressure plate which its should then im golden.

now if that back fires which i highly doubt iv seen that the 4g eclipse uses a pull style clutch set up and the 4g69 are pretty much identical to the 64 so in theory there fly/clutch set should work with the sonatas tranny.

now the shifter linkage and stuff idk why people dont see that it wont work when all of my parts are from the sonata so its a straight swap over there wont be any problems with that. last things to figure out is if my stock axles work witch it should. but if not i might have to use the sonatas or even take them apart and make a combo with the galant and sonata. ether way i can make it work just orderd my flywheel so the last thing i need is that vss and hopefully no axels. ill make a thread when the swap is done

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Exhaust power View Post
    wait and see when i swap it in at spring break. only problems i ran in to was using the 3g eclipse fly/clutch set witch wont work because its a push style clutch and the sonata is pull style clutch. so the 3g eclipse tob wont work with the sonata transmission unless converted to push style. theres no need for me to convert to push style seeing that i wont be seeing any type of heavy duty clutchs etc in the galant even if i do the clutch pedal will just be stiffer cause of the pull style(as i researched).

The stock sonata double plain flywheel sucks (well double plain flywheels in general as i red) when it comes to engine moding etc. they do offer a conversion kit that runs for 400-500 with the whole fly/clutch/tob set. I kept on searching and found a single plain flywheel for the santa fe which has the same engine clutch etc as the sonata. keep in mind that the santa fe comes with a double plain flywheel from factory . so this flywheel i bought is a oem replacement still waiting for it to be shipped and if it bolts up to my sonata pressure plate which its should then im golden.

now if that back fires which i highly doubt iv seen that the 4g eclipse uses a pull style clutch set up and the 4g69 are pretty much identical to the 64 so in theory there fly/clutch set should work with the sonatas tranny.

now the shifter linkage and stuff idk why people dont see that it wont work when all of my parts are from the sonata so its a straight swap over there wont be any problems with that. last things to figure out is if my stock axles work witch it should. but if not i might have to use the sonatas or even take them apart and make a combo with the galant and sonata. ether way i can make it work just orderd my flywheel so the last thing i need is that vss and hopefully no axels. ill make a thread when the swap is done
    be sure to take a TON of pics haha

definitely will do :) hopefully ill be the first one i guess to do the swap.. yay

Quote Originally Posted by Juansito View Post
    What trasmission cou|d I use for my v6!
    As of now, the Eclipse transmission is the only one that is known for sure to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Exhaust power
    definitely will do :) hopefully ill be the first one i guess to do the swap.. yay
    Maybe, but it's unofficial as there are people who might have done this swap but aren't members of forums to discuss this swap. As far as I'm concerned, I would rather spend the money on a Mitsubishi transmission over something produced by Hyundai other than their Tiburon and Genesis parts.

i mean its hyundai branded but im sure its mistus quality.

TGC Regular
    Hyundai Has been coming up in the auto world. I mean 5 and 10 warranties, they must have faith in there products.

Isn't the bell housing different on the sonata from the eclipse

Year

Quote Originally Posted by gimmeagalant View Post
    yes the tranny is a direct fit everything from the sonata will fit. all of it. and u name it brian cuz if i dont need it its yours. but just to say that motor will be getting built so if you have any tips it would be helpful.
    What year is the Sonata?
    Or do you have the VIN number of the car?
    Last edited by Isaurio; 01-08-2010 at 03:44 PM

my new flywheel came in yesterday and it fits. all the holes line up like they should :)

now i have to make sure my axles work and im basically done with parts. still need to buy a vss too.

as far as i know the floor shifter doesnt match up properly. the clutch pedal doesnt come over far enough it sits at the edge of the foot rest. and the break pedal doesnt have all the components as the g's.
    [

please mind the nasty-ness of the the floor mounts i had nothing to do with it.

Experienced TGC Member
    Strike 1
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

i think im done no point in testing cables the ill have to basically do the whole swap wich isnt looking good . its safe to say that the swap isnt a direct drop in. and that hyundai is gay.

TGC Regular
    Gotta give you props for trying this, but why didn't you use the eclipse clutch and brake pedal. Then you could have made custom lines to match up to the master and slave. As for the shifter that's an easy fix. Just mount the Hyundai shifter to a piece of wood and mount the wood to the Galant shifter holes. Of course its ghetto, but it doesn't have to be permanent. If you need any Mitsubishi 5 speed parts let me know, I have some left over. I would like to see you finish this.

I was thinking of just buying the lower half of the eclipes floor shifter/mount and see if it mounts up to the sonatas top half to fix the problem.The thing is i dont want to spend any more money seeing that i barely have any to play with. i can turn around and buy a full eclipes swap for under 200 since i have a cheap jy and ill know every thing fits.

The reason i didnt use the brake pedals and clutch is because i thought some one had all ready done the swap and some one mentioned that the pedals would work.

TGC Regular
    I feel you about the money part, but no one has done this swap that I know of. As for the Sonata/Eclipse hybrid shifter it won't fit unless you cut the top part off the eclipse shifter and bolt it down.

well i decided to swap the tranny and ill tell you it doesnt fit 100% the rear mount is off some . i might need a eclipse tranny mount too but everything else fits with little to no problems.

Are you going to do a how to after this, or at least a parts list???

yeah ill probably do a how to if the swap can be done with out too much fabrication.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast