The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: car stop off the highway

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18

car stop off the highway

hey guys well my mom said her car died out when she got off the highway and the first light to come on was the oil light i go and try 2 start it a few mins ago and than it try and start but would turn over.

battery, terminals, alternator
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

yeah it sound like 1 of them things but when i start it nuitting but like a clicking sound

thats the starter not having enough voltage and amps
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

i thought it would be the starter as well so idk.

clicking noise is started so thats probably fine, check the battery to see if it is still holding a good charge local shops can test it and check the terminals if there is excess corrosion they may not be getting a good connection. Sand down the inside of terminals and try starting if no then check battery.

If battery is fine chances are its alternator. I've had this happen to me before when my alternator went.
    All of the above were issues my car has had. Sanding terminals is best start.
    Last edited by 03-Galant-ES; 03-23-2009 at 09:59 AM

Quote Originally Posted by 03-Galant-ES View Post
    If battery is fine chances are its alternator. I've had this happen to me before when my alternator went.
    To me sounds like its the alternator went dead, Check battery for voltage, if good then check starter if problem still persists...btw make sure all the belts are in tact but its 90% chance its the alternator.
    99 BLACK GTZ
    5 SPD 10-12-08
    TEIN SPRINGS AND KYB SHOCKS
    WTB FRONT BUMPER
    WTB CF HOOD
    WTB GRILL
    WTB CF TRUNK

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Sounds like a dead battery to me.

Experienced TGC Member ZigenScarface's Avatar
    sounds like ur mom has an 8G to me..

Quote Originally Posted by zigenscarface View Post
    sounds like ur mom has an 8g to me..
    lol

if the car was driving and it shut off it could be the alternator. if the car was parked/off and doesnt want to turn over it can be the battery. check ur fluids and connections as well
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

She was pulling off the highway, which means she was driving her car so it shouldnt be the battery unless its old and not holding a charge. Other than that like other people said, the alternator

~Gabe

When I feel like eating a banana, I like to go to the zoo, sucker punch a gorilla and try to run with a banana hanging out my bum. Then if I succeed, I enjoy my victory with said banana and a stroopwaffle.

yeah i start taking off the alternator. but now because the lower bolt dont want 2 come out.

wd40 or cut it out then replace it.

yeah that long bolt a post to come all the way out right?

well now i know what happed the timing belt got F-UP but it dont look like the valves got bent.
    Last edited by XXL4G64; 03-27-2009 at 09:23 PM

Hopefully this is a good thread to ask this...

My friend has a 95 eclipse, and when he is stopped (but the car is running) or is coming to a stop, it will sometime die, but it starts right back up once he puts it in park and turns the key over.

Ideas?

its not the battery i can assure you that. if battery dies car wont start it will just click. once your car is started and it dies nothing to do with battery the lights/ac/radio might dim a lil cuz of dead battery.. sounds more like alternator fried or something. and nothing to do with starter either.
    I love bikes n babes!