The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Amp turning off and on?

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10
    rocgalant

Amp turning off and on?

Hi guys. I have a 2009 (9G) galant with the standard radio. I installed an amp a few weeks back. A lot of times the amp will turn off or won't turn on at all for a few seconds- up to a minute. But it doesn't have the protection mode light on. It's just turned off completely.
    The amp is grounded to the nut that holds the rear pass back in place. And the remote turn on is spliced into the radio's remote wire (the blue wire on the radio harness).
    Ne1 have issues like this? Any suggestions?

Specs- 4 ch Power Acoustik OV-840 amp. Supposedly 80w x 4 rms. It only has a 40a fuse though Polk DB 651s up front 55w rms and Polk MMC690s in rear 100w rms.

Where is the amp mounted? Can you tell if it is overheating? (Even if it isn't entering protect mode). Also did you make sure the power and ground wires are the same gauge?

Experienced TGC Member showtime's Avatar
    secure connections: Power/ground?

are your ohms correct, over bridged, fuses still good pul them out and look at them to be sure. remote wire have good connection if you have a multimeter pull it out and check the resistance of your ground 0 is what your looking for and if possible the next time it goes out check the voltage coming from your remote wire and the ground if you get no voltage then thats your problem you need to fix the remote turn on wire

rocgalant
    Quote Originally Posted by ricky_db View Post
    are your ohms correct, over bridged, fuses still good pul them out and look at them to be sure. remote wire have good connection if you have a multimeter pull it out and check the resistance of your ground 0 is what your looking for and if possible the next time it goes out check the voltage coming from your remote wire and the ground if you get no voltage then thats your problem you need to fix the remote turn on wire
    4 ch amp wired to my 4 speakers rated at 4 ohms. Sorry, I don't know what 'over bridged' is...the fuses are ok. I only have a digital voltage meter that shows a lightning sign but doesn't show voltage rating. I checked the power, ground and remote wire at the amp. I guess I'll have to get a multimeter to check further.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    Where is the amp mounted? Can you tell if it is overheating? (Even if it isn't entering protect mode). Also did you make sure the power and ground wires are the same gauge?
    Mounted in the far left corner in the trunk. It is cool to the touch and I have a 8ga Kicker wiring kit.

Quote Originally Posted by showtime View Post
    secure connections: Power/ground?
    Yup. I checked the connections at the battery, the radio, and the amp. They are all secure.

Thanks for all of your help! Could it just be that Power Acoustik sucks or is it more likely that I am doing something wrong?

over bridging is when you take a 2 ohm speaker and bridge it. which would most defiantly kill your amp . sounds like thats not your problem i would get a better DMM. radio shack has them for like 20 bucks if you can get past the stupid ass people that work there lol

rocgalant
    Quote Originally Posted by ricky_db View Post
    over bridging is when you take a 2 ohm speaker and bridge it. which would most defiantly kill your amp . sounds like thats not your problem i would get a better DMM. radio shack has them for like 20 bucks if you can get past the stupid ass people that work there lol
    Lol yeah they are the worst. They don't know what the stuff in the store is for but at least they know where it is! On a side note- This dude said that PA amps have horrendous connectors, which could be the issue. I sure hope not. Thanks for the info though. I'll look into getting a regular analog multimeter tomorrow.

Experienced TGC Member showtime's Avatar
    power acoustik is actually a decent brand, my first system was entirely power acoutik. I slammed harder than my MTX system does. But I have heard of their amps eventually breaking, mine did but after 2 years of use and I maxed it out and abused it.

Quote Originally Posted by rocgalant View Post
    Mounted in the far left corner in the trunk. It is cool to the touch and I have a 8ga Kicker wiring kit.
    Upgrade the power and ground wires to 4ga, and call it a day. I'd bet it solves your problems.

rocgalant
    I re-soldered the remote turn on to the radio's turn on and it works fine now. I had my FM Modulator wired with the remote turn on. I took the FM Mod and wired it with a 'Add-a-circuit' to my fuse box. Fixed the problem. Sorry guys, I just wasn't thinking that the FM Mod could draw enough to cause any issues.