The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Brake Proportioning Valve

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4
    254reese

Brake Proportioning Valve

Before I get started with my question, I wanted to let everyone know I used the search feature and couldn't find the information I am looking for. I also never seen this information on GalantForums.

I have a 2000 DE, bought her a little over a year ago and this is my second one. Later this morning I am getting to replace my front pads and rotors for the second time since I bought it. I cannot figure out why my front brakes are wearing as fast as they are so I did an inspection of the entire brake system yesterday.

After driving the car for roughly 30 miles, I pulled the rear tires and removed the drums. To my suprise the drums and shoes are cold, clean and look factory installed. Quite odd for a car 10 years old. Now I was told the proportion valves goes bad and needs to be replaced, but after searching the rear disc conversion tutorials and part list, I see no mention of the proportioning valves being replaced. I've removed the 19in Enkeis because they were too heavy and it appears I'm only using my front brakes to the car. I have planned to do the disc conversion in fall after the exhaust, drop, and wheels, but I need to know what I need to do about this situation.

Sorry this is so long but I wanted to make sure I explained it clearly. Thanks in advance guys.

Experienced TGC Member njjfudge's Avatar
    When you pull your parking break handle does it com all the way up? If it does that is your problem right there, the shoes are never coming in contact with the drum and need to be adjusted.

2001 w/Old Style VR-4 front conversion

I'm not sure how you didn't see the thread if you searched for the word proportioning, but the thread which talks about the rear conversion on here does talk about the proportioning valve. If you do the rear disk swap, ideally you should change the proportioning valve, the thread has the part# and price of the 3.0L proportioning valve. The 2.4 is a little cheaper.

Here's the thread -
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...=proportioning

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    it might be as simple as adjusting the rear cylinders so the brake shoes engage properly. You should check that first before investing time and money into changing the proportioning valve as it might not be the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS