The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 1980 JDM 4th gen RWD Galant Coupe - V6 MIVEC TT swap underway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 28

1980 JDM 4th gen RWD Galant Coupe - V6 MIVEC TT swap underway

oh hey guys, I'm sure a few of you remember me, I pop in here from time to time.

This is where I last got with my coupe:

after custom making adjustable platform coilover suspension for it:

the original plan was to do a DOHC swap using a Lancer Evo III RS head onto the original G63B SOHC block with E39A Galant VR-4 pistons etc

However I've decided to throw away that idea and do something more difficult and no doubt very expensive and time consuming.

It all started with an idea I got when I had my 6A12 MIVEC V6 out of my 7G Galant rebuilding it on the stand.. conveniently next to my coupe... which I got to thinking on how I could perhaps mount the V6 back into the coupe instead of my 7G. Well after a few days of research I decided it would be too much hassle for what it was worth (considering it wouldn't be a huge gain in power), and thought if I were ever to do a V6 swap it would have to be with the older and bigger brother 6G72 sibling.

Well fast forward a year and I got that crazy idea again... and went out and acquired two engines.

the first I'm sure alot of you will be familiar with - the 6G72 TT from the 3000GT VR-4 (or what we call GTO's)

second being a 6G72 MIVEC from a mid 90s F36A JDM Diamante 30M - in stock standard N/A form this engine puts out 270hp!

they are essentially very similar in the bottom end (with minor revisions to swap from one side of the engine bay to the other), but the MIVEC heads are where all the magic comes from. For this swap I'll be using the complete MIVEC motor with the 3000GT Turbos attached, thicker head gaskets from the 3000GT to lower compression ratio, the tim sump from the 3000GT motor as opposed to the MIVEC alloy sump as it's easier to modify to clear the crossmember.

So I've made a start, by pulling the existing engine and box out:

aaand that's about as far as I have come so far! next up is when I get time to work on it again, I'll be lowering the V6 into the hole on the engine crane with the engine bay totally cleared (ie brake booster/master and clutch master removed as well as fuel filter/lines, wiring loom etc) and see how everything fits up.

Any comments welcome!

What transmission are you going to use?

good question!

not entirely sure yet, am hoping to find a Triton V6 2WD 5speed but failing that perhaps a W58 or R154 Toyota box with custom bellhousing or adapter plate using a donor auto bellhousing from a V6 Pajero (Montero)

nice
    Fully Built 4G63
    HKS 272
    ported Dual Ball Bearing FP RED 84mm 25psi w/ external dump

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Sounds like a cool project..

6g72 mivec, those things are hard to come by. More HP than the 3.8L Mivec and those 3.5L Mivec, limited to 280ps! Mitsubishi should kept those engines around for another five years.

8G owners should be interested in this swap.
    Last edited by mysticj; 03-26-2009 at 10:23 PM
    94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

6G72 MIVEC is 270PS (199kW) and 300Nm of torque while 6G74 DOHC MIVEC in Pajero Evolution is 280PS (206kW jap limited, possibly alot higher) and 350Nm of torque.

so stripped the engine bay some more and lowered the V6 into the hole pretty much where I want it to sit:

front of the motor is about inline where front of the 4cyl was

rear of the motor would just clear the clutch master cylinder, however I need to either find a slimmer brake booster or cut down the spacer behind the brake booster - brake master is fine for space though.

room between driver's side chassis rail/steering box and engine block, with no mounts fitted

and on passenger's side - a bit more room

and the sump, the rear section of the tin bottom of the MIVEC sump hits on the front edge of the crossmember, and the engine is resting on it sitting about 20mm higher than it could be mounted, so it needs to be notched further by approx 25-30mm

stripped down the GTO TT motor

the tiny TD04s, they don't actually share the same compressor housings or exhaust housings, they are different per side and may look a bit weird if I mount them a bit forward in plain site - am thinking of using CD5A Lancer GSR TD04s or even WRX TD04s as they are cheap enough to pick up a pair of.

the illusive and hidden oil squirters!

and that's about it for now. I hope to go visit some wreckers to find out more about mounts from a Pajero/Triton etc over the next few days.

goodluck

thanks! I'll need it for sure!

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    nice work so far, best of luck
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

ok some more progress today - went to the a wreckers this morning and found a Pajero V6 and checked out its mounts, they looked promising and mounted in the same spot despite being mid sump:

so $50 later they were mine and used the original Eterna rubber section of the mount and it all bolted up sweet:

but it moved the motor back about 1", which means I can't use the original clutch master cylinder and I'll probably have to cut into the firewall for the thermostat housing.

the engine sits at a good height with plenty of clearance from sump to crossmember height wise:

but as mentioned earlier the sump will need to be notched.. but makes it tricky with the two piece metal section.. I might just get rid of that altogether and have an alloy plate welded in place and just wing the sump. It needs to be notched up until about the dipstick tube (which is seen at bottom of the shot)

while I was there I placed the turbos approx where I want them to be mounted, they are just resting on the mounts but seems to have a bit room on the passenger side but not so much on the drivers side:

and that is all for now

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    hmm interesting. nice work so far

wow, i am very impressed! this is going to be sick!

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

cant believe i havnt seen this thread before! dude I want VIDS once this thing is running, its going to be soooo badass, Good luck

~Gabe

When I feel like eating a banana, I like to go to the zoo, sucker punch a gorilla and try to run with a banana hanging out my bum. Then if I succeed, I enjoy my victory with said banana and a stroopwaffle.

With the engine mounted that far back will you have room for the transmission without cutting up the car? Having the engine mounting points so rearward should help the car's balance though.

Second thought, where is the cross member and sump on the Pajero? Could you find a rear sump pan for your engine and would it help?

Very interesting build by the way. How much weight difference will you have over the engine that was in the car?
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

this is very cool. subcribed.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr View Post
    this is very cool. subcribed.
    +1
    94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by eclipsh View Post
    With the engine mounted that far back will you have room for the transmission without cutting up the car? Having the engine mounting points so rearward should help the car's balance though.

Second thought, where is the cross member and sump on the Pajero? Could you find a rear sump pan for your engine and would it help?

Very interesting build by the way. How much weight difference will you have over the engine that was in the car?
    Thing is the V6 isn't quite as long as the 4G63 it replaced - the heads overhang the bellhousing quite a bit so even with the motor sitting where it is now on Pajero (Montero) mounts the bellhousing is about even where it was with the 4G63, and the crank pulley is about 1" further back than the 4G63.

The Pajero engine mounts mount straight to the chassis as opposed to a crossmember, and it has two smaller crossmembers which goes under the engine, and the sump is placed mid-ship which would not be ideal for me as my crossmember goes right under the middle of the engine. The existing front sump setup is ideal, it just needs to be modified a little bit to clear the crossmember properly. As the motor is a post '96 Diamante motor, I can't use the 3000GT or early Pajero V6 sump - I would have to continue with post 96 Diamante (which are alloy sumps) or mid-late 90s Pajeros which has the oil pump in the same position as the MIVEC motor as the front timing cover is different and the sumps aren't interchangable with the different oil filter/pump locations.

I don't know the exact figures but the complete 6G72 is probably approx 200kgs while the 4G63 is about 150kgs. At a guess it's a good 50-75kgs heavier anyway. I don't really mind as the stock weight of the car is 1300kgs so it's no light car to begin with, although the stock weight split is 51/49 so the V6 isn't going to upset the weight distribution terribly.

Nice GL on the work.
    02StratusRT and 00EclipseGT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast