The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 1980 JDM 4th gen RWD Galant Coupe - V6 MIVEC TT swap underway

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 28 of 28
    Thanks for the detailed response. I'm looking forward to follwing your progress.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

Banned
    i love posts like this man. ugly old school galants getting worked on = gangsta.

small update

wheels back on and dropped back onto the ground, just wanted to see how the suspension was sitting with the V6 in - it seems to be about the same level as with the 4G63 in, but the V6 is still missing a gearbox, manifolds, turbos, piping etc

fitted radiator and fan back in see where it sits in relation, I feel with that transverse mount chopped off flush there will be plenty of room up front for intake and intercooler piping:

deep valley of the V6 with lower manifold removed:

just comparing port sizes between the MIVEC and the twin turbo GTO V6, they're the same apart from slightly larger injector notch on the MIVEC:

trial fitting GTO turbo upper intake manifold onto the MIVEC bottom intake Y pipe section, needs a spacer to clear the taller MIVEC heads:

Thanks to Spence, Mike and Sam I think we've found a suitable replacement clutch master cylinder, off an AE86 no less:

does anyone know if the AE86 clutch master has the same 5/8" bore size as my stock master cylinder?

... and I removed air con.. there was just no way I could mount the stock V6 air con pump, and it would be too much hassle to try relocating it. So with the air con condenser and lines removed there's more room for a larger intercooler to sit up front, I'm thinking a stock Evo 6.5 TME onwards intercooler as they are decent sized and have 2.5" end tank piping:

also some news on the gearbox front, I've come across a Pajero 4WD V6 V5MT1 gearbox in the south island for cheap which I'll get freighted up to me, to at least have a look over and see if I can use any of it perhaps in conjunction with a 2WD gearbox tail section to lose the 4WD transfer case - if that fails I'll remove the bellhousing and use it to make a custom bellhousing to adapt to some other gearbox (still undecided yet).

Either the V5M31 or R5M21 tranny will work. The V5MT1 I believe have the transfer case build into the transmission casing.
    94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

so does the V5M31 - I think you mean the R5M31? R5M21/22 would be too weak. Finding an R5M31 over here isn't easy, they don't appear to be in any domestic market Tritons - all the V6 2WD's were autos while the 4WD's were either manual or auto.

Quote Originally Posted by fuel View Post
    so does the V5M31 - I think you mean the R5M31? R5M21/22 would be too weak. Finding an R5M31 over here isn't easy, they don't appear to be in any domestic market Tritons - all the V6 2WD's were autos while the 4WD's were either manual or auto.
    So, is there any way of capping off the end of the tranny where the transfer case mates with the main tranny? Maybe borrowing some R5MXX parts?
    94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

if it's anything like the KM145/V5M22 and the KM132 (Star-Quest box), the main shaft is a different length between 2WD and 4WD to suit the transfer case hanging off the back. I think it would be very hard to find someone willing to sell just the tail section of an R5M31, let alone a whole box here.

dude i love it cant wait to see this thing running lol

TGC WI/IL chyea boi!!

Quote Originally Posted by johnygezony View Post
    Yeah they kinda are, yours is truly the only good looking one i have seen, its so smooth and subtle. It doesnt scream "hey race me" it whispers "go ahead"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12