The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Stutters...

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Stutters...

I got this problem that started when I replaced my distributor.
    When I turn on the car the rpms seem to jump around and decrease until the car shuts off. I have to rev it up a little to keep the rpms from dropping. The car drives fine until i hit a stop light then i can feel the engine stutter, I have to put it in neutral and rev it a little so it wont shut off.

Mechanic said I have to replace the ignition wires and spark plugs.

Could this be the problem?

had same problem, seemed to fix itself though im sure it will be back, any advice would be cool.

I noticed you change your distributor, the problem you are writting was the same problem I got before changing the distributor. At first the mechanic told me it was the spark plugs and the wires, I changed them, 1 month later the same thing happen, so I replace the distributor and I have been driving without that problem since 2007. My Galant is a 1998 V6, so don't know if yours is having the same problem.

same thing is happening to mine. i changed the spark plugs and wires like 2 months ago and it's still having the same problem. The rpms drop and then the engine dies. i have to give it gas to keep the rpms from dropping. Also while driving the car seems fine but as soon as i decelerate the engine stutters and hesitates. What could be the problem?

Joey, yours I think is a Distributor problem, before buying one, try to find someone with one or a car with the same engine to test it before buying it, because it is a little expensive.

I had just replaced my distributor not more than a month ago. it stared a little after i got it replaced

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    when you say you replaced the distributor, are you talking about the distributor assembly itself, or the rotor and cap?

it sounds like you're ignition timing got thrown off, especially if you weren't having this problem before. what inspired you to replace the dist in the first place, anyways?
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

i bought a whole new distributor assembly.

I ended up changing it because it had gotten wet and the the car wouldn't start shortly after it had gotten wet