The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: please help...speedometer not working

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18
    bbmotor

please help...speedometer not working

ok, after doing a search i think i may have ended up with someone elses problem...anyway, i gotta 02 galant that the speedo doesn't work at all and the odometer doesn't rack the miles....it shifts perfect and we hooked a snapon scanner on it, jacked it up and it registers/shows the speed on the scanner...we got a speedo head from a salvage yard and it didn't fix it...replaced the computer but then the stupid thing wouldn't start read somewhere that it has coded/transponder keys and thats why it wouldn't start with the other computer) it has a aftermarket radio in it(that works fine) so we got a factory radio because someone said there is a speedo circuit that runs through it...i'm about ready to burn it:smt092 someone reply or call me if you have any idea what to try next 870-476-0115

Printed Circuit board, had exactly the same problem, the circuit borad on the back of the gauges its a floppy silicon board had some circuits burned out, some lights on the gause still worked but the speedo revs and fuel gauge didnt work, if its an 8g i got a spare one just pm me.

The aftermarket radio has nothing to do with the speedo. Joerad maybe right on this one. It sounds like more of a gage cluster problem then anything else. Exspecially since you hooked up a scanner/reader and it showed the speed.

bbmotor
    forgot to mention the cruise doesn't work either...the light comes on but the cruise is not working...i may see if the local salvage yard has another one they will let me try....is the mileage stored in the computer or in the cluster?

bbmotor
    which wire going into the cluster can i check the volts on to see if its getting speed reading to the cluster? i was told it was the passenger side plug on the cluster and the yellow(slightly bigger) with a black stripe...i checked it and it showed 12.85v all the time...didn't matter if the wheels were turning or not...i was probably checking the wrong wire

On the cluster, so your not clocking any up at present, quickest wasy to check it to just take the cluster out, theres only about 4 screws very easy to do, and any damage will be plainly visible on the circuit.

Cruise only works above certain speeds but maybe a totally seperate issue, check all your fuses

bbmotor
    checked all fuses and they are good...was doing around 45-50 and it didn't work...i don't really care if i get the cruise fixed...i have the cluster out and there is absolutely no damage that i can see...i've taken plenty of clusters apart and this is one of the cleanest ones yet...no burned or scortched places anywhere...a local auto electric place did some checking on it and said what he thought was the circuit for the speedometer was making a contact from the speedo connector to the computer(he thought it might be a short there) he finally gave up..said he could throw money at it all day and still not find the problem...now what? get the matches:)

is it only speedometer? does the gas/temp/revs work?

- If you've got nothing nice to say, what the hell is wrong with you!?!

When removing the cluster, the right hand side connector, pin 16, (I believe it is on the bottom) is the speedometer signal to the cluster.

bbmotor
    yeah its just the speedo and not racking up the miles.....

Experienced TGC Member showtime's Avatar
    have you checked your fuses?

Quote Originally Posted by bbmotor View Post
    yeah its just the speedo and not racking up the miles.....
    I have the same thing, for about 3 months. it's not the fuses, and not the wiring. it could be output shaft speed sensor

- If you've got nothing nice to say, what the hell is wrong with you!?!

bbmotor
    yeah but if it were the output shaft speed sensor would it show the speed on the scanner? i'd buy the sensor if i knew it would work...i tried another cluster today and still doesn't work...guess i can rule out the cluster...NEXT:(

Again, test the connector to the cluster. If you are getting a reading from an OBDII scanner, then the ECU is seeing a signal, and the sensors should be fine. It may be a short in the connector.

Quote Originally Posted by djakay View Post
    I have the same thing, for about 3 months. it's not the fuses, and not the wiring. it could be output shaft speed sensor
    when my output speed sensor went bad i got a check engine light and my tranny went into fail safe, meaning it was always in third gear. Didnt matter if i was taking off from a red light or doin 80 on the interstate, it was always in 3rd.

Have you ever changed your needles or gauge faces? Ive heard the actuators for the needles are very delicate.

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.

bbmotor
    my car shifts perfect...if i checked the right wire it shows 12.? volts and doesn't fluctuate/increase when i take off driving it...shouldn't i be able to see a difference in the volts when taking off from a stop?

It should read 5 volts at idle, if I am reading the service manual correctly.

Refer to the Service Manual, section 54A-28
    You can download the manual here:
    http://www.galantforums.com/phpbb/vi...hp?f=91&t=7226