The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Taking care of your Coilover suspension

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10
    Experienced TGC Member

Taking care of your Coilover suspension

OK guys, my D2 Coilovers will be here in a day or two. But before i install them, i want to do some preparations for the winter.

Im making this thread simply for straight-up suggestions and advice on maintaining coilover suspension setups. Kind of like a "how-to".

Here is a link to a blog that has some cleaning techniques...
    http://www.cockyracingguy.com/coilover_cleaning.htm

Feel free to post any suggestions, and advice.

Mine have been on the car for over a year and I just spray them when I was the car with power washer. But when I took them out to redo my suspension component I wiped then with a degreaser and came out close to new
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Depending where you live and how much driving you do...just jack your car up once in awhile and hit up and clean the underbody and the 4 corners of your suspension. I usually use a commercial degreaser to clean.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Experienced TGC Member
    The car is my daily, and i live in upstate ny.

I was thinkin about trying to custom fit some kind of rubber sleeve over the threads. Or just applying some grease or something.

Quote Originally Posted by 6G72Galant View Post
    The car is my daily, and i live in upstate ny.

I was thinkin about trying to custom fit some kind of rubber sleeve over the threads. Or just applying some grease or something.

applying grease is a bad idea cuz then all the dirt from the road will get stuck to it and when you go to adjust them you will have a hard time doing it
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

I spray them down roughly ever 2 weeks with brake cleaner, and PB blaster.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    I spray them down roughly ever 2 weeks with brake cleaner, and PB blaster.
    Depending on the type of paint finish the coilovers/struts etc etc...I would be careful with brake cleaner, it will eat through some painted surfaces.

A nice degreaser and a nice soaking of the wheel well area at least once a month will help keep the sleeves and just the suspension components fairly clean especially if its a daily driver.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Quote Originally Posted by 4-G-rim View Post
    Depending on the type of paint finish the coilovers/struts etc etc...I would be careful with brake cleaner, it will eat through some painted surfaces.

A nice degreaser and a nice soaking of the wheel well area at least once a month will help keep the sleeves and just the suspension components fairly clean especially if its a daily driver.
    I always use a non-chlorinated brake cleaner.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spdracr View Post
    applying grease is a bad idea cuz then all the dirt from the road will get stuck to it and when you go to adjust them you will have a hard time doing it
    I thought about that, but id only be adjusting the coilovers twice a year. Spring and Fall. Also, i really dont want any of the ridiculous amounts of roadsalt used up here to get into the threading of the coilovers. I have no problem having to pressure wash the dirty grease off, and then reapply a new coat. I saw a friend of mine who had his coilovers rusted to shit! Now it may be because they were a cheap knockoff brand, but i just really want to be on the safe side.

Ive got PB Blaster. And ill pick up some brake cleaner tomorrow. So these badboys will be going on some time this week:p

Quote Originally Posted by 6G72Galant View Post
    I thought about that, but id only be adjusting the coilovers twice a year. Spring and Fall. Also, i really dont want any of the ridiculous amounts of roadsalt used up here to get into the threading of the coilovers. I have no problem having to pressure wash the dirty grease off, and then reapply a new coat. I saw a friend of mine who had his coilovers rusted to shit! Now it may be because they were a cheap knockoff brand, but i just really want to be on the safe side.

Ive got PB Blaster. And ill pick up some brake cleaner tomorrow. So these badboys will be going on some time this week:p
    A nice degreaser is a good idea too. If I was to go through a thoroughly clean them I would do the following:

Take the wheels off the car.

Spray them down with degreaser (Simple Green is pretty good).

Spray off the degreaser, including the top camber plates.

Toothbrush the threads on the threaded collars, and the top camber plates.

Spray off with non-chlorinated brake cleaner, and on the top camber plates.

Spray off with water. Then I'd spray the camber plates with PB blaster or other lubricant.