The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Additional info. needed please.

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Additional info. needed please.

I changed the timing belt and the balance shaft belt. At first i tightened the balance shaft belt more then what it was when i removed the old belt. That caused the timing for it to be off by a tooth max. and made the engine vibrate at 3,000 rpm's. So i went back in and tried putting it back to the same belt tension. It seemed to fix the problem untill i went onto the freeway and hit 4,500 rpm's. Then the vibration started up again but went away after the RPM's drop back below 4,500.
    And yes the timing was all aligned when i put things back together. But on the old belt the timing was just a bit off for the balance shaft origanally.

My question is, has this happened to anyone else?
    What have you done to it if anything?
    And if i dont go back in there and try again to get it even closer will anything happen to the engine if i leave it as I have it now.

I have tried searching every where and havent ran across any threads noteing such a close off balance and what to do with it.

What about the harmonic balancer, or balancer shaft? Did anything seem bent?

PROBLEM SOLVED. I had to go back into the timing belt housing and had to rotate the oil pump pulley 360 deg's. Rookie mistake I know.

Glad you figured it out.

Quote Originally Posted by 01blackG View Post
    PROBLEM SOLVED. I had to go back into the timing belt housing and had to rotate the oil pump pulley 360 deg's. Rookie mistake I know.
    Don't feel bad thats the #1 most common mistake made when doing a T-belt job on the 4G63/4G64.