The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: few items needing input...

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17

few items needing input...

hey everyone,
    Well there are a few things that I am needing some advice on during my journey of getting my Galant in tip top shape. Most being small concerns but you know how the small things count largely :). Well first thing, the valve ticking noise that the 4G64 is infamous for. I notice that on warmer days the ticking is only there for a few minutes after driving whereas on cold days it takes longer for the ticking to disappear. Well my car has been this way until I got an oil change yesterday whereas I changed my oil from conventional to a synthetic blend (not full synthetic). Now the valve ticking occurs for a much longer time than usual and it has been warming up in CT the past week or so. Any ideas? Maybe the change in oil?
    Next, I've noticed since I owned the car that the engine makes a whizzing noise, if you would, when accelerating. It only occurs during acceleration at about half throttle (maybe a little less) and on but I dont hear it if I am just accelerating slowly. Any ideas?
    Also, are there any common trunk leaks in the Galant. I notice that when it rains the inside of my trunk gets wet but only on the left and right sides near the tail lights. Any ideas?
    Lastly, might anyone have or have access to a throttle body assembly including the TPS and IACV they are willing to sell. I have idle issues that I have been told was due to the IACV and my throttle body sticks closed at times also therefore I want to replace the entire assembly. Thanks!!

AJ

about the ticking i dont think the change in oil will make it worst. i had ticking every morning but when i got boosted and started using royal purple full synthetic i have yet to hear any clicking noise. i dont wanna say its cause your using sythetic blend because its not. so im gonna say im not sure on that other than when i started using this oil my ticking was eliminated.

for the whizzing noise only appearing on acceleration could possibly be an exhaust leak somewhere.

i havent heard of any common trunk leaks. check the weather stripping on the trunk to make sure its not damaged and the only other place might be behind the taillamp assembly where the harness goes through.

good luck.
    Fully Built 4G63
    HKS 272
    ported Dual Ball Bearing FP RED 84mm 25psi w/ external dump

Get the engine sea foamed, it will reduce the valve ticking. About the noice IDK need more info on it. Ask bronxbomr for the parts, he has a warehouse full with parts. If you dont like the prices Ill get you one /TPS/, As far as IAC, you should get a FIAV block off plate.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Thanks for the replies so far!! Well I just can't think of anything else that could have caused the ticking only because it happened right after the oil change. Not sure if the enging needs time to get accustomed to the new oil but I'll see what happens over the next week or so.
    As for the whizzing noise. It has always been there since I got the car a few months ago. Also, as for the possibility of it being an exhaust leak, I just had a small section of pipe replaced due to a hole and the shop told me there were no other leaks. Aside from that I jus passed emissions test about a month ago which was right after getting the pipe fixed.
    As for the block plate for the IACV. Is this expensive? Is the labor long and tedious? Also what are the benefits and reprocussions of the blockoff plate? Thanks again for all feedback. It is really appreciated.

AJ

TGC Regular
    I have a whizzing noise with my acceleration. It started when i got my timing belt replaced i think that could be the culperate.

Build Thread

Again, thanks for the replies!! The whizzing issue is very peculiar and, from what I observe, rare. I guess I will deal with it for now. As for the block off plate, the ebay item says it is for the 4g63. Would that also be a direct fit for the 4g64? Also, are there any gaskets needed during installation? Lastly, are there any drawbacks that they plate might have? any significant benefits? Thanks again for the replies.

AJ

Build Thread

that was immensely useful.. Thanks a lot. Looks like I will be ordering the block off plate and installing it. Something that i must ask that wasnt covered completely in the other post was: Where should I purchase the gasket for the block off plate for my 4g64 galant in order to ensure no leaks? Also, what is the proper way to adjust the idle and where should it be adjusted to? Thanks a million for the responses as this will hopefully rid my idle issue!

AJ

the link that i posted, the company offers the rubber gasket as well. you have to contact and ask them

Build Thread

I have whizzing too, i beleive it is some drive belt that as it spind faster the whizzing deminishes. had no problems yet belts look fine, TB change due soon though

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    chuck and eddies in southington should have a couple complete throttle bodies down there and u take them off urself so u know wut ur getting.. mine ticks slightly nothing majorif u need a hand i live right near u bro
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

i was actually thinking of taking a trip u to chuck and eddies but am def gonna wait for a dry day because u know how the yard is after it rains..haha.. thanks for the offer in giving me a hand..if i run into any issues i'll def get in touch wit u..

Quote Originally Posted by ajth87 View Post
    i was actually thinking of taking a trip u to chuck and eddies but am def gonna wait for a dry day because u know how the yard is after it rains..haha.. thanks for the offer in giving me a hand..if i run into any issues i'll def get in touch wit u..
    ight dude im back from tennessee now and im free most days
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

hey dude do u drive a maroon/red 7g? and were u on 84 2night cuz if so i might have went passed you
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

no, wasnt me..i drive a grey 7G..

Quote Originally Posted by ajth87 View Post
    no, wasnt me..i drive a grey 7G..
    ight just checking dude.. if ur not busy 2morrow hit me up and we can meet up and talk and shit.. i think u have my cell number
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR