The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Are these a good buy and a good product(shipping included)

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, good price, good product

11 68.75%
  • No, make a lesser offer, not a good product

2 12.50%
  • Good product, high price

3 18.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Megan Coil overs, what do you guys think?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 34 of 34
    Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    so do the D2's have the camber adjustment at the top, I'm thinking the only way to adjust for camber is through upper arm adjustments

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    stunr would know i know they came with the camber plates on the ones i got 4 the 240.. but even without the camber plates they are awesome man
    Last edited by Galanttuner10; 04-10-2009 at 05:41 PM
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

camber plates do nothing on a multilink suspension,
    all they would do is change the angle of the shock. which has zero effect on camber.

on all manufacturers you'll have a solid sluminum replacement upper mount or if they're cheap they use the stock one.

do a search and you should find some pictures of mine.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

well you know i'm going red and black under the hood. Both will serve the function, but the Megan's will fit better with the color scheme ;) But i'll probably wait as i'm stocking up on some other items that will give you a real run for your money Jon.

don't wait. buy coilovers now. you can recoup some of yoru cost by selling your old setup.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

i would, but i need to make sure i can cover the cost to refi my house, then with the money i'll save every month...

btw... i'm running daily on about 15psi... and loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ice View Post

btw... i'm running daily on about 15psi... and loving it.

nice, me too very soon....... 8 maybe
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

For what it is worth, you should check out the information on struts listed over on Far North Racing. Specifically his list of struts to buy.

Remember this list:

* Bilstein
    * Penske
    * Koni
    * Ohlins
    * Sachs
    * Dynamic Suspension

Not on this list? Almost certainly crap.
    This is based on his dyno testing huge numbers of shocks. It is very educational. He also has a "build your own koni coilovers" section. They are pricey but if you are serious about handling and not just slamming your ride they're worth it.

I also suggest you read up on how lowering a car effects the suspension geometry and the problems it can cause besides excess camber. Knowing how your suspension works really helps save you money in the long run and helps you understand a very important part of your car.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

Had them on my 8g. Currently have em on my Lexus. No problems to me.
    Accident. Deemed Unfixable. Got a check for it.

Quote Originally Posted by eclipsh View Post
    For what it is worth, you should check out the information on struts listed over on Far North Racing. Specifically his list of struts to buy.

This is based on his dyno testing huge numbers of shocks. It is very educational. He also has a "build your own koni coilovers" section. They are pricey but if you are serious about handling and not just slamming your ride they're worth it.

I also suggest you read up on how lowering a car effects the suspension geometry and the problems it can cause besides excess camber. Knowing how your suspension works really helps save you money in the long run and helps you understand a very important part of your car.
    As educational as it may be, and as experienced as even he may be, that doesn't mean that Megan's, JIC's, Tein's, Eibach, or any other type of spring or coilover is garbage. I would say he has a somewhat limited viewpoint and should be taken for his opinions at face value and no more. I doubt he has even used every brand around, let alone actually pulled the unit apart and inspected the internal valving or anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    As educational as it may be, and as experienced as even he may be, that doesn't mean that Megan's, JIC's, Tein's, Eibach, or any other type of spring or coilover is garbage. I would say he has a somewhat limited viewpoint and should be taken for his opinions at face value and no more. I doubt he has even used every brand around, let alone actually pulled the unit apart and inspected the internal valving or anything else.
    I'm just saying that given his experience I'd go with something I KNOW is a good setup and dyno proven not just based on cost and word of mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by From Far North Racing
    For a while, I was the shock engineer for a race team, and was designing, building, and rebuilding shock packages for customers. A big part of this service was running customer shocks on the dyno to set a baseline for where they were currently at. I dynoed a couple of hundred shocks, representing the spread of almost every shock brand extant.

(All the shock dyno plots on this page came off my dyno.)

Amazingly, save those brands mentioned in that earlier list, this was a non-stop parade of horror, including, but not limited to:

1. Adjusters that did absolutely nothing;
    2. Adjusters that had more crosstalk effect than they had primary effect (ie, a rebound adjuster where 1 click made a 10% change in rebound and a 30% change in compression);
    3. Adjusters that were nonlinear and exponential;
    4. Adjusters that peaked in the middle of the adjustment range (in one example, "full hard" was softer than "full soft");
    5. Shimstacks assembled upside-down;
    6. Sets of shocks where a front and rear shimstack had been exchanged;
    7. Shocks valved with forces that were insane (1600 lbs/in @ 3 in/sec was the record);
    8. Shocks that faded so fast (as they warmed up) that no two runs were ever alike;
    9. Shocks with adjusters that varied by 10% on the same shock at the same setting, depending on if you got there by going harder or softer; and
    10. Shocks that adjusted rebound and compression in lockstep, but had so much compression that backing them down to reasonable levels made rebound way too soft (very common with the Japanese brands like GAB, JIC, Tein, etc)

The only shock brands I worked with that actually did what they said they would do were the shocks on that list - and even then, they had their quirks:
    With that said, he may not have tested these particular shocks. You could always ask him though.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Peano and Shadow have these:
    http://www.performancedsm.com/part.p...tId=66&carId=1

If you are on a budget, the Yonakas are a good option, they just arent adjustable other then height. +You get $50 off if you register.
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    word. the yonakas are decent, a little too bouncy on the rougher roads no matter how you preload the springs, but they're pretty awesome if you get on some smooth gravel
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12