The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Well I finally am getting rid of 8G fugly shifter.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 75
    Quote Originally Posted by zobgel View Post
    drill a hole on the shift knob and shifter "metal pipe"
    ok just wanted to make sure I am sure it will make sense when I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by 03-Galant-ES View Post
    ok just wanted to make sure I am sure it will make sense when I see it.
    I will take some pictures later when I get home.

TURBO= in the making.......

i meant when mine comes but that would be great too

That is what zobgels looks like I like his idea with the Evo boot but Ive been taking alot of his ideas lately time for me to come up with one of my own. For now it will be on no boot.
    This one looks nice, nice one man

Please do, because I didn't have to do any modification beyond boring out the shaft of the knob. I also snapped out the little rectangular pieces on the sides, but that was more accidental on my part.

Once I bored it out enough (about an inch and a bit), the stock screws lined up perfectly.
    2000 Mitsubishi Galant (totalled by semi, RIP)

2000 Mitsubishi Galant - Bought off Craigslist, received organ donation from last one:
    - Engine/5spd trans/interior/suspension/brakes/etc. all moved from old car
    - 5spd | Outlander IM | StopTech BBK | Defi VSD-X HUD

What did u bore with?

What did u bore with?
    I'm going to preface this by saying: Don't do what I did. ;)

I used the sanding drum on my dremel tool it's almost exactly 15mm. Due to imbalance, etc. it actually came out a little bit too large. I used some double sided tape to pad the shaft when I put the shifter on, and it's fine now.

The trouble with the sanding drum is that the front edge, which has pretty much NO grit, does all the work. Also, sanding pretty much melts the ABS on contact with the dremel bit.

If you can, find the closest drill/cutting bit you can and use that. If you can get a cylindrical dremel bit that will cut instead of sand that big, use it. Because of the heat involved, I could really only go about 1/16 or 1/8 of an inch at a time before stopping to clear out the melted/solidified debris and let the knob cool. It was pretty messy.

For the white insert, just use a cutting wheel on your dremel. Trim both sides down to about 4" back from the tip until it's skinny enough to fit up into the shifter body. Test it each time by working the trigger and make sure it contacts the trigger mechanism over its whole range of motion.

Then, take it to your car, and carefully measure the distance from the top of the two screws to the top of the insert. Then, on the MDX knob, measure the distance from the top screw hole to the part the insert will contact. I'd recommend putting a dowel or something up there and marking it through the hole with a sharpie or something. Compare the two distances, make sure you have the measurements straight in your head, and cut off the difference in those two measurements. It will now be a little shorter, and you should just be able to fit the MDX knob on the shaft and screw it on without pressing the insert down. If you do it right, you won't be pressing it down, AND you won't have any play in the trigger. Now try it out.

Congratulations, you now have a kickass shifter.

2000 Mitsubishi Galant - Bought off Craigslist, received organ donation from last one:

That is what zobgels looks like I like his idea with the Evo boot but Ive been taking alot of his ideas lately time for me to come up with one of my own. For now it will be on no boot.
    Zogbel, did you mess with the shaft and make a short shifter out of it? It looks shorter than stock.

Quote Originally Posted by charris View Post
    Zogbel, did you mess with the shaft and make a short shifter out of it? It looks shorter than stock.
    Thats what I said it may just be the way his boot sits.

Thats what I said it may just be the way his boot sits.
    Whoops, my bad. I bet he did, though. Otherwise it would be a pain to get at the head unit down there.

Experienced TGC Member SleekGTZ's Avatar
    Nice. Good deal on that shift knob. I like it.

yeah on my old car i did a similar mod with this. It was a push down shifter tho. I cut the shifter and lowered it about 3". The way I did it was to measure the distance from the top of the shifter rod to the shaft of the shifter assembly. Sounds weird I know but when you open it up you should see it. There's the hollow shaft and the shifter rod. But I measured that distance, then I measure how low I wanted the knob. Then I cut the shaft to where I wanted it, measure up from that the same amount that the stock was and cut the rod at that height. Then the rest of the process to fit the knob like charris explained would follow. You may need to do something at the top of the shift rod to make sure it's contacted by the mdx knob but should still work. That was my plan. Was gonna do a write up on it but I gotta wait now haha.

lol I would do a write up but I like the height of our shifter since I always keep my right hand on it it is the perfect height with our arm rests

make it shorter and put a boot on it! and cheap 5spd swap! :) bro im gunna call you soon also

~Gabe

When I feel like eating a banana, I like to go to the zoo, sucker punch a gorilla and try to run with a banana hanging out my bum. Then if I succeed, I enjoy my victory with said banana and a stroopwaffle.

yes,i did cut the shifter "metal pipe" like 4"-5" to make it shorter.

i will post the pics later coz i just woke up.lol

TURBO= in the making.......

coz i just woke up.lol
    I hate you.:smt062

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    I like it. Looks cool as hell on Zobgel's car.

I hate you.:smt062

x2
    Haha argel I am jealous as hell that you just woke up I got a 1 and a half hour nap between job interviews that is the sum total of my sleep in the past 30 hours

zobgel, what did you use as the circular trim around the shifter? I've been trying to figure out what it is. I thought I saw something somewhere about evo trim? Is that right?

Zogbel..... *thumbs up* clean interior.
    Accident. Deemed Unfixable. Got a check for it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast