Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

HOW TO: evo 8-9 momo steering wheels

Things you need are:

Materials:
    1.8G steering wheels
    2.EVO (8 or 9) momo steering wheel

Tools:
    Welder
    Something to cut metal, I used an angle grinder.
    T30 torques bit to remove evo's air bag
    10mm wrench/socket
    17mm (impact preferable) to remove the steering wheel from the 8G.

For the most parts its basic removal and install of the steering wheel. Sometimes the steering wheel wont come out of the steering column shaft, but it will come out of you either pull hard enough, or bang on both sides of the steering wheel with your hand. Or, very carefully, tap the center steering column shaft with a hammer but do not hammer very hard as you don’t want to mushroom the end of the shaft.

Now you need to cut out the center section of the 8G steering wheel. You can see where the original welds are, and if you just cut through the welds, you should be able to tap the center hub section out. You will basically do the same for the evo wheel.

After both center hub sections are removed, you will need to weld the 8G hub section into the evo wheel. This is where you will want to test fit, and align everything up before you weld anything.

After everything is lined up, do a few tac welds so it stays together. Then go test fit again. If everything checks out good, then weld some more. Make sure to do a good job welding as if you don’t, and the weld brakes while driving, you'll end up going wherever your car wants to go without any way for you to control your car.

Before permanently installing the evo wheel, put the plastic cover back on the evo wheel, make sure to line up the 3 little plastic dowel things which are for your blinkers so the click back off after you turn the wheel. Also make sure you try your best to line the steering wheel up straight. This may require the trial and error method.

****READ****
    Before driving your vehicle, TEST your welding job. I sat in my car, with the car off (so that there is no power steering) and yanked my steering wheel left, then right, I also pushed back and forth on it, banged on it. I put it through the worst conditions to make sure it would hold in the event of the worse possible case.

-gud luck-
    Last edited by zobgel; 05-16-2014 at 08:25 AM

TURBO= in the making.......

I appreciate this mod tutorial. I should have mine done within a month or two and get rid of that ugly wheel.

same argel, thanks alot for the info bro ive got a friend with a welder maybe we can do this!
    ~Gabe

When I feel like eating a banana, I like to go to the zoo, sucker punch a gorilla and try to run with a banana hanging out my bum. Then if I succeed, I enjoy my victory with said banana and a stroopwaffle.

nice...
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ideoid=2799274

A filipino's number one dream is to own a car before anything else. In the philippines, most private car owners consider their vehicles as an extension of their home but with one differrence: a home is where his wife cooks while a car is where his girlfriend builds a fire. Hmmm...

Nothing about airbag swap?!!!

Great Info, may try this when im ready to put in a new wheel in my G

Success is achieved through dedication and personal sacrifice. Eye for an Eye_Tooth for Tooth_Blood for Blood.

good tut im going to do this the my G...!

No one has figured out or at least shared how to keep the airbag function.

thanks for the tutorial. Now I know what I'm getting myself into lol.

I'm going to see about hooking up the air bag though. Hopefully I can get a hold of some wiring diagrams.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

airbag should plug right in....i beleive it was done in other installs

You actually need a evo clock spring for the airbag harness their not wired the same

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    Yea I never actually wired my airbag since I took out the srs module anyway but the wiring is certainly different...I didn't look much into it but it prob pretty easy to do

ahh thanks guys! I'll search around for a clock spring or just order new.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Can anyone verify if the EVO clockspring is indeed working in our car?