The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: What size bolt:to get drums off?

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

What size bolt:to get drums off?

I'm trying to paint my brake drums until I save up for a rear disc swap but I ran into a little snag. The drums are rusted on, and won't come off. I have the e-brake off and I keep beating the shit out of them with a deadblow but they still won't come off! So I need to know if anyone knows the size bolt I need to get them off (you know,,,,on the drum itself,,,there's threaded holes to stick a bolt in to wedge them off if they're stuck).........does anyone know the size bolt so I can get one? Otherwise I'm stuck......I don't think anymore beating on them is going to do anything. Thanks.

the only one bolt me and my mechanics at work have found fits in that hole is the bolt on the battery terminal, sounds weird but i found that out somehow when i was doing my rear disc swap
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

i got a set of them in my glove box i can post the size tomorrow

Thanks,,,,,I was thinking it was an M8 but I only had other sizes laying around,,so I couldn't test it,,,and I didn't want to go to the store and buy a bunch and end up that none of them fit. They should just put the size right on the drum next to the threaded hole. If I can't get an answer by tomorrow, I'll try the battery terminal bolt and report back the correct size.

I am running out to my car in 10 mins. If you havent found out yet ill tel u Ive used them like3 times and they work i just went to part shop and used their test bolts

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    im pretty sure its a 12mm bolt on the 9g. it might be the same for the 8g. the timing belt cover bolts are 12mm so as the bolt that holds that front brake hose to the strut.

give them a try.

Quote Originally Posted by boochieboy View Post
    Thanks,,,,,I was thinking it was an M8 but I only had other sizes laying around,,so I couldn't test it,,,and I didn't want to go to the store and buy a bunch and end up that none of them fit. They should just put the size right on the drum next to the threaded hole. If I can't get an answer by tomorrow, I'll try the battery terminal bolt and report back the correct size.
    M8 1.25x30 is what Ive been using

Quote Originally Posted by 03-Galant-ES View Post
    M8 1.25x30 is what Ive been using
    Thanks. I'll pick up a few tomorrow!

Update:I did my front brake setup today(R1Concepts drilled/slotted rotors, G2 blue painted calipers, new brake pads,,new copper washers on the brake lines,,,,bled/flushed the entire system w/valvoline synthetic DOT 3&4 brake fluid, and some other stuff). I tried the battery bolt on the drums, and it's too small. Again,,the battery terminal bolt DOES NOT fit the drums.
    BEFORE:

AFTER:

Also: I think I need some new bushings too LOL....Jeez.

Last edited by boochieboy; 04-08-2009 at 09:24 PM