The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to Install After Market Gauges(S7)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 98

How to Install After Market Gauges(S7)

I was at Gabes house and in the mail was his S& Gauges so we decided to make a how to.

Start with removing the Tach cover. There are 2 screws on the top of it.

Dont forget to disconnect the dimmer switch.

Next there are 4 screws holding the Tach in remove them.

Disconnect the harnesses one black one white.

Now its out!

Next you want to take the glass and the black plate off. There are clips that hold them in just push them down with a screw driver

Now take out the litle screws that are holding the faces for the stock gauges

Slide the new gauge over the needle as it suggests in the directions or you can just pop the needle out but be careful to put it back on right.

Install all the gauges and put the needles back in then screw the gauges down so they stay in place.

Next you want to feed the wires for the gauges through the housing. We drilled holes for them. Connect them the the inverter provided.

Now you want to throw the faceplate back on and the glass just push them into the clipping spots.

You have to be comfortable with wiring for the next part. We used a voltage tester to see which wires got power when the lights were on. We connected it to the wire in the black harness 3rd in from the right. After you choose the wire by using the tester on the harnesses metal pieces you will want to strip the wire and connect the new wire. Then use electrical tape to seal it off. Find a good bolt to ground it to.

Then you want to reinstall by putting the 4 screws in and the 2 on the top and voila.

Haha the newb has a SES from a breather filter get it deleted...

Remember if you fuck up your shit its your fault enjoy our information and use it wisely. Ask Gabe for night pics.

god im hawt! we did good bro, pretty sure there was no need to start drilling, but it made it fun... lol

edit: The wire you need to tap into is third in from the left. Also try not to move the needles or else they will be somewhat off. Im not sure of a fix for this i kind of played around with it after i actually screwed it up. The thermo is off and the speedo seems to be off aswell...

~Gabe
    Last edited by therev; 04-08-2009 at 04:35 PM

When I feel like eating a banana, I like to go to the zoo, sucker punch a gorilla and try to run with a banana hanging out my bum. Then if I succeed, I enjoy my victory with said banana and a stroopwaffle.

I thought about this on my grueling ride home for 3 hours. Thermo we know its cause it isnt aligned right with the base of it....Or pretty sure. Speedo make sure it isnt rubbing on the gauge it my be rubbing a bit which would explin why it seems to lag and jump

I think we did an awesome job for 2 clueless people that got the gauges and were like sweet lets toss them on...ummm what now? Haha

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6 View Post
    the gas light works independantly from the gauge so if you are truly low, the light will come on.

also make sure that the needle isn't rubbing on the gauge face. mine tends to rub from time to time but a punch to the dash usually frees it.
    from back in the day but it proves my theory that it can rub
    Last edited by 03-Galant-ES; 04-08-2009 at 07:09 PM

When i fill my g up ill be sure to move the needle to the top to be sure. And teh Speedo is working fine now :)

~Gabe

When I feel like eating a banana, I like to go to the zoo, sucker punch a gorilla and try to run with a banana hanging out my bum. Then if I succeed, I enjoy my victory with said banana and a stroopwaffle.

sweet! How do they look at night did we wire them right or did we pull a "mafia" job?

mafia job, they stay on even when the car is off, gotta rewire it...

~Gabe

lol we tapped the wrong wire we didnt check to make sur eit didnt get power when car was off

wat i did with my s7 gauges to make sure they dont stay on when the car is off is wire them to the fuse panel .. alls i did (and i now its ghetto rigged) is tap the power wire forget the color tho onto the fuse for the cig lighter it goes on when u turn key and off when you turn it off ! !! dont know if thatll help at all

Yeah im probably going to do that. The wire is blue and silver i think. I knew i should have done that to start with. Im diong it now ill let you guys know how it turned out

~Gabe

Well worked out mint. Wired it straight to the 12v cig lighter. When the car is turned off, there is no power that runs through. So you can wire these gauge's to any wire that will stop power when the car is turned off, (ignition wire) heres a pic! sry its blury

~Gabe

great tut. thanks a lot. will make my s7's asap

Sure bro, anything to help out the members, feel free to PM me with any questions you may have

~Gabe

Nice. This should help with my AC/Autotechnica Reverse Indiglow Gauges install. Guess we will see.
    Last edited by 2002BlackDragon; 04-09-2009 at 01:11 PM
    Currently on my 3rd 8G... Not giving up this time!

will connecting it to a remote for an amp work??

Connecting it to the amp power cable will, but a remote? like a TV remote i doubt, or are you talking about the boost control switch, yeah that will work

~Gabe

Proto
    If you check the wiring to the fog switch or climate control you can use a light tester to find out which is hot when you turn on the parking lamps instead of having to wire a separate on/off switch.

Good write up guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Proto View Post
    If you check the wiring to the fog switch or climate control you can use a light tester to find out which is hot when you turn on the parking lamps instead of having to wire a separate on/off switch.

Good write up guys!
    Thanks proto we just went straight for what had power lol we didnt test with car off the whole install took us newbs like 20 mins it went pretty smoothly except for it starting to snow and the wire mishap

Thanks proto, hope everyone is helped by this tutorial

~Gabe

Can i get a pic of the final setup for the wiring? I just did my gauges last night and dont want to fuck up the wiring when i go to put them in. Thanks.
    Currently on my 3rd 8G... Not giving up this time!

Ill tell you where to wire it, i picture wont do justice. Behind the guage cluster is a small bolt holding the dashboard. Unbolt that and ground it right there and replace the bolt. Then run the power wire through the back into the back of the radio bezzel. Now remove the trim around your Auto shifter, it will pop right up. Then you will see the crack for the cigarette and the 12v bezel again pop that out. You will see two wires running into the 12v lighter, strip the Blue and white wire and tap the power wire (the red one) into there you are!

~Gabe

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast