The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to Install After Market Gauges(S7)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Showing results 81 to 98 of 98
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia View Post
    Fill up the gas tank entirely, move the needle to full. Done and done.
    Uh that won't work. It will move back to where it was.You need to take off the needle then move it to full and push on.

Fuel gauges are weird. I didn't do anything to mine other than remove the needle, now it doesn't work right; the needle falls faster than it did before. I know this for a fact, because I checked the resistance between the three prongs of the fuel gauge like it told me in the Service Manual, and the resistance values are off by a lot

I will give some of you guys a tip for doing this, let your car sit for an hour then turn on the acc not the car your fuel gauge will show u the value take a picture and install the gauges. After the gauges are done then you can adjust the needle accordingly. That is why it is off for some of you, the car didnt settle first.

and guys,forgot to mention that when i switch the s7 dimmer to maximal extent, i hear a whistling sound, which actually pisses me off. what can be done about that?

Quote Originally Posted by therev View Post
    Ill tell you where to wire it, i picture wont do justice. Behind the guage cluster is a small bolt holding the dashboard. Unbolt that and ground it right there and replace the bolt. Then run the power wire through the back into the back of the radio bezzel. Now remove the trim around your Auto shifter, it will pop right up. Then you will see the crack for the cigarette and the 12v bezel again pop that out. You will see two wires running into the 12v lighter, strip the Blue and white wire and tap the power wire (the red one) into there you are!

~Gabe
    I took of the autoshifter, and i did not see any wires there!!! may be i should take off the PRND32L thing? or the radio bezel?

Quote Originally Posted by 03-Galant-ES View Post
    I will give some of you guys a tip for doing this, let your car sit for an hour then turn on the acc not the car your fuel gauge will show u the value take a picture and install the gauges. After the gauges are done then you can adjust the needle accordingly. That is why it is off for some of you, the car didnt settle first.
    now it's too late. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by dimushor View Post
    now it's too late. LOL
    I realize, but you should be able to adjust it still, I believe you have to disconnect it first. I had an issue like that when I painted my needles I moved heat and gas.

Oh and the buzzing sound happened in Gabes car too, I think the S7s are kinda cheaply made with the dimmers. The dimmer is not meant to handle the wattage or something. My dining room switch does the same on 100W lightbulbs when we are supposed to have 60W

Quote Originally Posted by 03-Galant-ES View Post
    I realize, but you should be able to adjust it still, I believe you have to disconnect it first. I had an issue like that when I painted my needles I moved heat and gas.

Oh and the buzzing sound happened in Gabes car too, I think the S7s are kinda cheaply made with the dimmers. The dimmer is not meant to handle the wattage or something. My dining room switch does the same on 100W lightbulbs when we are supposed to have 60W
    and what shall i do to stop the buzzing?

wire in a different dimmer or dont put it on full? :) I dont know if Gabe solved it or not.

i wish i knew where from to take another dimmer from here. i would rather not put it on full

The buzzing is a normal sound produced from the operation of a ballast. There's not much you can do except to insulate the ballast to reduce noise

Also why are you using the cigarette lighter to power the gauges? I used the parking/interior light wire and they come on with parking lights/headlights

I don't have any buzzing sound with my gauges.
    So your using the stock dimmer to hook them up right? I used this inverter to get them working properly http://www.speedhut.com/product_deta...NUMBER-368.htm
    You should look into getting one because I've read that after a while the stock dimmer is not as bright.
    Last edited by stvn_mj; 10-28-2009 at 09:53 AM

Quote Originally Posted by stvn_mj View Post
    I don't have any buzzing sound with my gauges.
    So your using the stock dimmer to hook them up right? I used this inverter to get them working properly http://www.speedhut.com/product_deta...NUMBER-368.htm
    You should look into getting one because I've read that after a while the stock dimmer is not as bright.
    i wrote above that we don't have such dimmers on sale here. and by the way, it started to flicker, when on full.

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Line View Post
    The buzzing is a normal sound produced from the operation of a ballast. There's not much you can do except to insulate the ballast to reduce noise

Also why are you using the cigarette lighter to power the gauges? I used the parking/interior light wire and they come on with parking lights/headlights
    right now i am using the parking lights to power the gauges, but it stays on all the time. guys said that if u tap it into your cig lighter, it will power on only with the ignition key on.

so what's ur proposal, where should I tap the power wire?

noone?

Quote Originally Posted by therev View Post
    Ill tell you where to wire it, i picture wont do justice. Behind the gauge cluster is a small bolt holding the dashboard. Unbolt that and ground it right there and replace the bolt. Then run the power wire through the back into the back of the radio bezel. Now remove the trim around your Auto shifter, it will pop right up. Then you will see the crack for the cigarette and the 12v bezel again pop that out. You will see two wires running into the 12v lighter, strip the Blue and white wire and tap the power wire (the red one) into there you are!

~Gabe
    i tried today to tap it to the cigarette lighter!!!i took off the auto shifter and tried to pop it out and i couldn't do it. is it the stuff with the ashtray and the two cig lighters?

wheni did my wife car s i picked up a jumper at autozonethat pluged in the fuse box it tapped and spliced a fuse and put a seperate line to run power to the gauges no cuting required then just had to ground it much easier.
    \

guys, is it posible to take out the dimmer? to put the gauges at a certain value and then take off the dimmer? cause my dimmer: 1) it buzzes and then, sometimes the light on the gauges flickers, and i stop it only by turning off and then turning back on!!!

and as far as the fuel gauge being off I fixed my wife's buy filling the car waiting until the gauge went as far up as i could go and the setting the needle to F did that like 2 years ago and has worked fine ever since.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Corey2kG's Avatar
    Theres really no details about what wires to tap just the 3rd to the right or left that dont help. If anybody ekse got input or pics would be great.

EDIT: I wired up everything.
    Last edited by Corey2kG; 11-30-2010 at 12:48 AM

FreakyDeaky

Quote Originally Posted by sponcar View Post
    Always remember "do you, not them" cuz thats what make you different than others :)
    2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345