The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Crank but no start..

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19
    Proto

Crank but no start..

Car ran fine last night with no problems. Went out this morning to let it warm up, came on real quick then shut off as if I was using a key without the chip in it. Checked the coils for spark and no spark. Coilpacks or crank sensor?

I'm not sure if they do this at autozone, but get the coilpack checked to see if they are operating then if they are its the crank sensor.

if they aren't operating, replace them and see if she starts.

It's probably the coilpacks because I'm pretty sure the crank sensor wont just go out if it ran fine and started fine last night.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Proto
    They don't test coilpacks. I'm going to pick up some used ones and try them.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Ignition Failsafe Sensor. Located on the top of the intake manifold, has a connector on it that looks similar to the connector wire that goes to the TPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Proto
    Swap it or can I bypass it?

Quote Originally Posted by Proto View Post
    Swap it or can I bypass it?
    Why didnt I think of that??

Underated said we could bypass it on one of the threads here... or on GF. just PM him he should know.

I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Proto
    Stewi have any advice on that module?

hey Proto did you check the camshaft position sensor?? my g did the same thing... it would turn on quickly and then shut back down... thats wat my ECU was reading when i had that problem... hopefully this helps

Drive, Dream, Drift.
    Drift ALL DAY

The coolant temp sensor went out on my i4, replaced it and runs fine now.
    1999 North Star White V6 8G
    2003 Yamaha R6
    2008 Lancer Evolution X

The Original FACTION from the BGR Days
    First Founder of TGC Florida 2002-2005

I would recommend renting a code reader from autozone first. If it was the crank shaft position sensor your car would have caught the problem and stored it in the computer.

I bypassed the ignition failure sensor on my car, cali did it on his car, JDM4G64T did it on his, Roman did it on his, no problems after that. At first it made my tach go nuts, then eventually the car wouldnt start.
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    I bypassed the ignition failure sensor on my car, cali did it on his car, JDM4G64T did it on his, Roman did it on his, no problems after that. At first it made my tach go nuts, then eventually the car wouldnt start.
    wait, so should we bypass the IFS or not?

only if its giving you trouble. I cant find the write up on how to do it, its as easy as cutting and soldering together two wires.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Proto
    Wasn't the cam angle sensor or ignition failure module so I'm assuming it's the crank angle sensor. I'll find out this weekend.

Proto, did you get a computer reader hooked up to it? If so what was the code. If it was the crankshaft position sensor the error code will tell you. I would do that before ripping the timing belt cover off. Unless you need to replace the timing belt.

Quote Originally Posted by 01blackG View Post
    Proto, did you get a computer reader hooked up to it? If so what was the code. If it was the crankshaft position sensor the error code will tell you. I would do that before ripping the timing belt cover off. Unless you need to replace the timing belt.
    you dont need to take the cover off to test the sensor with a multimeter.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Proto
    BS belt broke, killed the crank sensor. Replaced the timing belt, bs belt, waterpump, crank sensor, and accessory belts. Runs good as new.

Glad to hear you found the problem!