The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: fwd 4g63 to 4g63t(Vr4)

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10
    TGC Regular

fwd 4g63 to 4g63t(Vr4)

i currnetly own a 92 galant fwd 4g63. i want to know can i drop in a vr4 motor . with out convert to awd. and if i can swap the motor. what else would i need.

If i cant go vr4 . what about elsicpe gs. 2.0 dohc fwd. can either of them bold right into my trans.

i hope youre talking about 1g eclipse FWD. and yes, you can drop it in, but youll need to figure out the ignition issue, cuz the SOHC 4g63 has distributor and eclipse has coil packs, but Im just guessing that the galant will adopt an eclipse engine harness w/o a problem.

for awd swap youll need everything out of vr-4 galant or 1g eclipse GSX. everything is compatible between these cars. youll need: awd manual tranny, manual transfer case, driveshaft, rear subframe and differential, awd gas tank, awd flywheel /6 bolt/, and bunch of other little stuff. It would be a lot easier and cheaper to find a junked 1g eclipse GSX to get parts from than buying them one by one or finding a Vr-4. Also, a lot of work. if youre not capable of doing it, or you dont have the place to do it, and want to pay some1 to do it for you then forget about it. just keep an eye on the car ads for Galant Vr-4 or GSX
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

TGC Regular
    i thought so. i was talking about a 1g eclispe. could i swap a 2g engine and trans. would that work

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    E39a Galant VR4's have a different unibody frame and undercarriage from the FWD versions of the 6th gens. Basically unlike the 7th gens and 8th gens....there are no provisions and room to fit a rear subframe for the rear diff, driveshaft, etc etc. Basically...it will be extensive work and rewelding.

You can though swap a 6bolt 4G63 and just get the wiring harness for a FWD 1g turbo and its ready to go. As for swapping to AWD...its not worth it.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Quote Originally Posted by 1992Galant View Post
    i thought so. i was talking about a 1g eclispe. could i swap a 2g engine and trans. would that work

you could as long you do the wiring

Quote Originally Posted by 4-G-rim View Post
    E39a Galant VR4's have a different unibody frame and undercarriage from the FWD versions of the 6th gens. Basically unlike the 7th gens and 8th gens....there are no provisions and room to fit a rear subframe for the rear diff, driveshaft, etc etc. Basically...it will be extensive work and rewelding.

You can though swap a 6bolt 4G63 and just get the wiring harness for a FWD 1g turbo and its ready to go. As for swapping to AWD...its not worth it.

thanks good to know
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

TGC Regular
    i was just wondering. so my best bet would be a eclispe 1st or 2nd gen engine. with the ecu and wiring to that engine

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    6bolt 4G63 from a 1g will drop right in and its "stronger" than the 7bolts. Not sure whats involved in wiring..but I would just buy a 1g wiring harness and a 1g turbo Eprom ECU and call it a day.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

TGC Regular
    thats what i need to hear. i fond a gst engine and tranmisson for 1,000. its got 118,000 miles on it. its missing a alternator and a clutch. worth it or not. its a six bolt

Just wondering if that tranny will hold up too or does a turbo explise trannybolt in

the turbo eclipse transmission will bolt in, but the NA trans should hold up on minimal boost