The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Transmission problem (A/T)

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18

Transmission problem (A/T)

this just happened yesterday my car doesnt go to 3rd gear. its an AUTOMATIC by the way not stick. Do i need a new trans? or is this like a electrical problem bcuz my car doesnt want to go over 25mph on "D"(Drive) unless i put it on 2nd Drive thats when it goes over 25mph+. i mean its still drivable is jus i gotta leave it on 2nd Drive the whole time..and im not trying to do drive like that. Has anyone encountered this problem before? without replacing the trans?..electrical problem? idk..let me know what u guys think..thanks.:smt006

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    does it even attempt to shift into 3rd? or is it just completely stuck in 2nd, drives as if it only has 2 gears. doesn't bother with 4th gear either?
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

TGC Regular
    yea that deff sound like a blown trans man... start surfing junk yards

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    def a blown trans.. my last one did that and it lasted like 2 days like that then nothing.. start looking for a new one or save for a 5 spd swap
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Banned
    new tranny time bruh. go 5-speed swap!!

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    did your transmission give you signs of trouble prior to your problem you posted? Any slipping, hard shifts, etc etc?

Its also possible that the TCU (Transmission control unit) has malfunctioned.

A scanner needs to be hooked up to see if the TCU is throwing codes.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

nope my trans was fine before it broke down..and trans fluid is still good in it and up to the level its suppose to be when its hot.

well if i just have it on "DRIVE" it doesnt even attempt to go to 3rd gear. once it reaches 30mph the rpm rises and it doesn't give any power to my wheels so pretty much im slowing down at that point. BUT i just found out yesterday when i put it on O/D thats when my car can go over 30mph and its actually drivable at that point. Well it still drives but should i keep drivin it on O/D or will it make it worst? bcuz im sure the trans all ready ef'd up!...

and i still need to get my car scanned and check it the TCU has codes. ill get back on that later
    Last edited by Converse_KID; 04-14-2009 at 11:55 AM

TGC Regular
    well first of all you should be driving in over drive the whole time. its better for your trans and it also gives you better gas milage. Honestly i would say start looking for a new trans. these a/t trans's are very finiky. When my first auto went there were no signs what so ever. I was just driving and it went to shift into second. and got stuck in nuetral and that was that.... Go with the 5 speed swap. its easier and plus you have all of the ecplise options for upgrades.... i garontee you that if you find a used auto its gona be bout 500 bucks and probibly wont last you more than a year

oh alright. well from 1-10(as 10 being the hardest) how tough is it to replace/Swap trans?...coming from me..wich i only helped a friend swap trans from a 92' honda hatch...so pretty much i dont have much experience with trans replacement.

i wanna change this..i dont think i should be driving my car at all now right??

TGC Regular
    OK well for me i did an auto replacement and it took me about 6 hrs with another set of hands its not really that hard as long as you have basic tools. Its just very time consuming. The swap im not sure cuz i havent done it but from what i understand its fairly easy... I wouldnt try and attempt on your own. get someone that knows there way around a toolbox and car..
    here are the two tutorials
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=13254

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=12345

From what everyojne that did it says is its defonitly worth the work and the money.
    like i said if you arent tht expierenced get a friend or someone to help that is....

Quote Originally Posted by skrap View Post
    well first of all you should be driving in over drive the whole time. its better for your trans and it also gives you better gas milage. Honestly i would say start looking for a new trans. these a/t trans's are very finiky. When my first auto went there were no signs what so ever. I was just driving and it went to shift into second. and got stuck in nuetral and that was that.... Go with the 5 speed swap. its easier and plus you have all of the ecplise options for upgrades.... i garontee you that if you find a used auto its gona be bout 500 bucks and probibly wont last you more than a year
    not true 7g auto trannies shouldnt be driven around on overdrive all the time as it will cause excessive wear and overheating from multiple shifts especially in traffic and city driving.. i blew up 2 of my autos before i figured that out and now only use overdrive on 40 and over and its lasts me like 10k miles no issues as a daily driver since august.. and if he goes with an eclipse 5 spd he has to change axles as the input shafts are different.. wiring and stuff is the same i believe.. plz dont be pointed in the wrong direction.. i recommend the 5 spd swap but if u stay auto leave the o/d off until higher speeds
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

My friend had the same story with 4th gear. He found a mechanic who can repair AT. After 2 hours work he replaced just one epiploon and everithing went OK. But he was the one who knows this transmition...

my car have no 4th gear whitout the OVERDRIVE, when i push the OVER, its enter, (4th gear)

-Mitsubishi Galant LS 1994 a/t [ SOLD ]

i don't know if some 1 could tell me what this is my transmission did a little different i don't know if it is the TC that doing it or what because i had it before but the pump fail on me but now i have it in there again now it is going off crazy like last night it got suck in 3 rd and than again after i turn it off to put gas in it all it did was go from 3-4 have the ride home not really a hard shift because my front mount is 4 up im change that in the AM.... and how many miles on your tranny...

our trannies go into like a safe mode when they fail and they stay in third gear and you really cant go anywhere.. and plz guys dont use over drive unless your over 40 MPH as it wears out the end clutches as it constantly shifts between 3 and 4 when you do that below 40

id really look into the tranny swaps for you guys both xxl and raks.. thats if you can drive stick or have the money to go through 1 clutch to learn.. its not that expensive.. i got a great deal on mine which im picking up in 2 weeks.. whole swap for 325.. how do you beat that.. my used auto was more than that and it is less than a quarter of my original rebuild

instead of trying to figure out and keep replacing the auto just swap it out.. take this from a guy whos been through 4 autos due to stupidity, overdrive in the city and just for no reason at all.. all ive learned is that no matter what we do unless we drive it like a grandma and dont add anything to it besides what was on its stock it WILL fail.. ask QNZmostwanted.. he blew up a level 10 built auto (level ten is a company and they are some of the best auto trannies you can get)

SHORT VERSION hahahahaha

if your auto acts up... solve it to hold you over while you save for the 5 speed swap
    Last edited by Galanttuner10; 09-18-2009 at 11:39 PM
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

hoo, so my tranny go bad because i use de overdrive?
    i always use it =/

Fuck tranny!!! my car is in the garage again =/
    whitout the tranny because i dont have $$ to fix it again.!!
    maybe tthiss is a "bay bay" to my 7G

Who still got them 5 speed swaps for sale LOL but 4 real i know how much of a pain in the ass it will be keep it and yes the fact i think the 5speed is the best way to go for n/a or turbo setups.

But i look around last night and i found out that my TCU Is F-up because it would lock in to 2,3 and no 1 or o/d (4)
    Last edited by XXL4G64; 09-20-2009 at 02:12 PM