The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 4 pot Brembo calipers in 7g

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 22

4 pot Brembo calipers in 7g

First of all I want to state that this is not my tutorial . I just got the pictures and translated it for everyone's knowledge.

I know many guys, including me, with 2g Eclipse and 7g Galants want to upgrade from single or dual piston front OEM brakes to Evo 8-9 Brembo calipers and rotors, but unfortunately the bolt spacing on the USDM hub is 130mm vs. 160mm on Evo calipers. It has been thought of that an adapter would work, but it would be hard to make and honestly i havent seen one so far. The solution is to acquire JDM Galant VR4 /some models only/ spindles that have the 160mm bolt spacing which makes the Evo calipers a bolt on mod. The problem is that these a rare to find,expensive as well, and the shipping is very costly.

This is a different solution to have 4 pot Brembo calipers and some big rotors.

Calipers are from Porsche Boxster up to 2004
    Rotors are 315x24mm, 114.3mm stud spacing
    custom made adapters /very simple/

Please note that overseas hubs have 4 wheel studs.

I'm not claiming that this solution is better, or cheaper, I'm just want to show another option.

As for the rear you can use the Evo 8-9 calipers and rotors which are bolt on.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

thats cool. i was just going to go with the 8G VR-4 spindles

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Just a quick question about the 160mm brake caliper thing, are 6G VR4s 160mm bolt spacing? My 7G VR4 uses 6G VR4 brakes (actually direct parts number reference) so I'm wondering if my hubs will just take up the EVO8 brake calipers

TIA.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    ^ GSX, v6 8g, and Diamante dual pot calipers are the same. For the 7g, you can run the 6g VR4 rotors, they are 4-lug and the correct size for dual pot calipers. Then any of the 3 dual pots I mentioned above. It is as easy as that, no need to swap lug patterns.
    7g for life!

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr View Post
    ^what are you talking about?

there is absolutely ZERO difference in the knuckle between awd and FWD eclipse. there is literally only one difference between eclipse and galant knuckles/spindles/ whatever... and its just one stud.

I have Evo IX Brembo's all around on my car. i have a 94 7g. I had dual piston gsx calipers on my car and i didn't have to change a thing to bolt them on. its been done.
    So what you are saying is that a set of Brembos from a EVOIX just bolts right up to my 7G Galant VR4? What's the rotor size on an EVO in comparison to the 6G/7G Galant?

Quote Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
    So what you are saying is that a set of Brembos from a EVOIX just bolts right up to my 7G Galant VR4? What's the rotor size on an EVO in comparison to the 6G/7G Galant?
    the rears bolt up zero problems. for the front all you need is a pair of late model 8g vr4 knuckles.
    and then yes, it will bolt right up.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

He has done 5 lug swap as well, thats why he's saying about changing spindles. But as most of us know 6g VR4 rotors are 4 bolt and the same 10.8'' diameter as 3000gt SL or 1g Diamante or 2g GSX.

There 3 types of dual piston calipers. The main difference is that they are made with two bolt patterns 130mm and 160mm, or with banjo bolt and male type fittings for the brake lines.

130mm bolt pattern is used in all USDM, JDM and World spec multi-link type suspension and McPherson type suspension cars - 1 and 2g Eclipse, 7g galant /all trims/ , 8g Galant /not USDM, some vr4/, 1g Diamante /Sigma/, 3000gt SL.

Then you have the banjo bolt fittings coming with the Galants, Eclipses and 3000gt, and 1g Diamante coming with male type fitting.

160mm bolt pattern is used in some USDM, JDM and World spec multi-link type suspension and McPherson type suspension cars - 3g Eclipse, 8g Galant /USDM/ and 8g Galant VR4 b, 2g Diamante, 3000gt VR4, Evo 4-10.

The only difference is that the Multi-link suspension can't be swapped out easily with McPherson, so our cars can benefit from using Evo brakes. The only option is to use front spindles off 8g Galant VR4 b which has the multi-link type suspension and 160mm bolt pattern, but from what ive heard they run for about 500 shipped on DSM Tuners,, or Trigg buys them brand new form Japan for 130 bucks each , but shipping brings it up to 400-500 range

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    He has done 5 lug swap as well, thats why he's saying about changing spindles.
    yes, but he is telling me i have to change spindles for the brake swap i did. and did no such thing.

and mine are banjo bolt style.

mine is a 1997 and the swap worked, stunr did it in his 1994 GS and didn't swap anything so it's not like some half assed mitsu changing mid generation

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Oh yeah, for the rear all you need is the backing plates and the rotors off 94 GS. No swapping of spindles is needed

Build Thread

what master you supposed to use? evos?

Quote Originally Posted by crzejkr View Post
    what master you supposed to use? evos?
    I plan on running an evo master when I get the cash. My GS master cylinder is old, and to replace it with another GS master would cost a lot more than non-gs master cylinders(which aren't interchangeable)
    So i plan on just getting an evo viii or ix master and bolting it up, even if i have to re-bend my lines to do it.
    I'd really enjoy the hydraulic force that would come from the 1" bore.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

John, do you know if we need to swap out the brake booster?

Build Thread

at this point i'm only working with theories

I don't have an evo to inspect, so until I do, or someone else does, I'm more than likely going to find out the hard way

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

On a side note, and more relevant to the first post,
    7g guys can bolt on Cadillac CTS-v brembo's with mustang rotors TO THE STOCK KNUCKLE and effectively have the same setup as the evo brembos but with slightly smaller pistons, BUT full 13" rotors(which means MORE brake torque)
    http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218171

Cool thing is you can get BRAND NEW cts-v calipers for only like 130 from online gm parts stores. There is also an optional 6 piston cts-v caliper

MKO
    http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/151988227-post115.html
    Looks like the z32 master cylinder will work, as well as the 3g booster.
    Last edited by DOHCstunr; 09-29-2009 at 01:52 PM

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

So ill take that you spend big money on the JDM knuckles

Build Thread

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr View Post
    On a side note, and more relevant to the first post,
    7g guys can bolt on Cadillac CTS-v brembo's with mustang rotors TO THE STOCK KNUCKLE and effectively have the same setup as the evo brembos but with slightly smaller pistons, BUT full 13" rotors(which means MORE brake torque)
    http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218171

Cool thing is you can get BRAND NEW cts-v calipers for only like 130 from online gm parts stores. There is also an optional 6 piston cts-v caliper
    Where are you seeing these cheap calipers? I only see em for $250+ per caliper. Theres a set on eBay for $300 though.
    7g for life!

check this thread out seth for the supposed cts-v brembos for under 200 each.
    click the link for gm parts in there. but i couldn't find the calipers in the site. maybe you can navigate it with more patience and find em.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension...different.html

ok heres the link you check 07 cadi cts-v and then braes/hydraulics and calipers
    its i think 134.00 each caliper.

nice find.
    Last edited by crzejkr; 09-30-2009 at 07:20 PM

did a little research.
    turns out the
    Evo8 and 9 have 1 1/16" master cylinder
    GS has a 1" master cylinder.
    GSX eclipse have 1" master cylinder.
    non abs 7g's have 7/8" master cylinder.

so I'm just going to stick with my master cylinder because its only a 1/16th smaller than the evo.
    but other 7g guys are 3/16 smaller than evo, and 1/8" smaller than the GS master.
    or course if you guys haven't changed your proportioning valve when you did the rear disc swap... you are REALLY not feeling the benifit of the evo brakes, let alone your standard rear disc

Non GS (or non ABS 7g's) stand to gain a lot of hydraulic brake force by upgrading to the GS master.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

So, it will be much cheaper and have the same effect if just upgrade to GS master cylinder. hmm. Thanks that was very helpful!

Build Thread

So, it will be much cheaper and have the same effect if just upgrade to GS master cylinder. hmm. Thanks that was very helpful!
    and I had a look at an evo9 master this weekend. one of the fittings exits on the side, towards the drivers side shock tower.
    on an evo its no big deal. On the 7g, if you look at our masters, there is barely a mm of space between the master and the strut tower. I'm certain the evo master would require cutting into the strut tower to make clearance. and a lot of bending lines after the fact.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast