The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Alternator Going bad?

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Alternator Going bad?

Was up to all the 7g owers i was hoping you can tell me was wrong today i went to start my car all is fine i drive it on the highway and got my son from school next thing it had it act like it didn't want to start but it did so i said ok i get home and shut it off and try 2 start it to see what would happed and it didn't. I got a jump from my grandfather car and it start up than. I got to work and did the same thing to see if it was the if the battery was dead it seem like it wasnt so i go out on lunch and it starter right up i get home 2 see if it would start and it didnt so can you guys tell me what i should do.

Dead battery?, mine did this untill i changed my spark plugs

I change the battery

check the starter relay, if your alternator is dead your car wouldn't drive far at all cause the battery would just drain out when u drive it for a few minutes

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Depending how healthy his battery is...he can drive a fairly good distance with just the battery. My alternator belt broke while on the highway once with my GVR4 and I drove a good 35 miles with just the battery giving power to the car.

To your issue XXL...when you try to start the car does it crank slow or you just turn the key on the on position it randomly starts or doesn't?

Did you notice any of the lighting in your car flickering or if the car randomly just shuts off prior to your issues?

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

TGC Regular
    Yes if sometimes it starts and other times it doesnt or it seems like it has a weak battery connection change you battery ground wire it shorted out. It bolts on to your trans. you can get one at pepboys for like 20 bucks i would try that frst.. its a common problem espesially wil older cars wires just tend to dry rot our and there you have it. that would be my best bet

well i went to my boy shop to day and it is bad i have to shot to shit piston rings. 2-3 are dead out and all thats left is the top rings but the oil 1's bye bye. 1-4 are fine.