The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Weird sounds in engine bay

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Weird sounds in engine bay

whenever im idling at the traffic lights, i hear something that resembles that of sucking air through a straw. it seems to go away when i start moving.

i decided to pop the hood and let the engine run. i realized that there is this chirping sound coming from the side of the engine that has the timing and serpentine belt. i googled for "engine chirping sound" and some results said it might be the belts but the timing belt was replaced at 95k miles, serpentine belt juz replaced at 102k miles. it seems like the more i rev, the more it chirps.

the last time i had my oil changed was early december 2008 (mileage was 101400 then).. im using mobil1 drive 5w-30 with powerflo oil filter..

im quite scared to drive my car now juz in case it's the timing belt that is gonna go.. does anyone have any suggestions as to what the 2 noises are about?

thank you.....

could be the balance shaft belt
    the alternator about to go
    water pump about to go
    the ac compressore about to go
    or one of the 2 serp. belts not tightened properly.

You really have to pin point the noise. I would start with the most simple of them all and make sure the serpentine belts are tightened properly.

I would suspect a belt. I once spilled a bit of antifreeze on the air-conditioning belt and ended up with a sound that could be described as a chirp. Have you had add coolant to the reservoir lately?

How many miles does your car have now? Telling us you had belts done at 102k doesn't help if we don't know if it was a week ago or a year ago.

The sucking air through a straw noise is probably a loose vaccum line.

The chirping noise could be a slipping belt, or one of your pulleys is squeaking.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

I have the same sound.. but mine is coming thru the intake