The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: offset and size question

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12
    Experienced TGC Member showtime's Avatar

offset and size question

I fell in love with some wheels!!! Axis Gravity, they are 18x8 with a 35 offset. I know 8G's are supposed to run a higher offset, but I cant get these wheels out of my head. I plan on running GR2's and Tein springs so the drop wont be too much. Oh also I would be running 225/40/18. Should I have any rubbing issues? I dont really understand offset thats why I ask. Thanks in advance.

I'm running plus 38 wheels right now that are 8 inches wide, with a wider tire than you'll be using, and I'm dropped deep you should be ok
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

awesome, thank you sir.

u will probably have to roll rear fenders, especially if you camber correct the rear (to avoid uneven/premature tire wear) after the drop.

offset is the measurement of the mounting plane from the center of the rim (when looking from above). the higher the offset, the closer the rim is to the longitudinal centline of the car; conversely, the lower the offset, the farther out the rim is from the longitudinal centerline of the car (again viewed from above). with a given width wheel, a +45mm offset would sit 10mm closer to the longitudinal centerline of the car than a +35mm offset (which would sit 10mm further out). simply put, offset (along with width) determines how far the wheels will stick out... lower more, higher less.

oh nice, i understand how. Thank you.

BTW reelax, your sig is fucking awesome.

You should roll the fenders regardless of your tire size with that width and offset wheel.

what about 5zigen FNO1RC's, I was thinking 17x7 with a 35 offset. I would like to stay away from rolling my fenders as much as possible, but to make those wheels fit I would do it. Why do all the sexy wheels have a low offset!!!

Quote Originally Posted by showtime View Post
    what about 5zigen FNO1RC's, I was thinking 17x7 with a 35 offset. I would like to stay away from rolling my fenders as much as possible, but to make those wheels fit I would do it. Why do all the sexy wheels have a low offset!!!
    The sexy wheels have a low offset due to the types of cars they generally go on (higher performance cars I.E. The Evolution). And also are generally designed to clear big brake setups like those cars have. I would still say you should roll the fenders regardless of your setup, simply because it is easy, and there isn't any detriment to be resulting from it.

sorry for the bump, but I found different rims. 5Zigen FN01R-C, 18x7.5 and I can get an offset of either 42 or 48. Which would be better with a 225/40/18?

Quote Originally Posted by showtime View Post
    sorry for the bump, but I found different rims. 5Zigen FN01R-C, 18x7.5 and I can get an offset of either 42 or 48. Which would be better with a 225/40/18?
    18x7.5 +42mm w/ 225/40r18 will fit w/ no issues. depending on your drop (the deeper the more chance of negative camber), you may need to camber correct, but w/ that fitament you should not need to do any modification to the fenders at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax View Post
    18x7.5 +42mm w/ 225/40r18 will fit w/ no issues. depending on your drop (the deeper the more chance of negative camber), you may need to camber correct, but w/ that fitament you should not need to do any modification to the fenders at all.
    awesome!!! Thank you sir.