The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Kia head vs. Evo head?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 32
    jlfisher360

Kia head vs. Evo head?

Ive searched around for some tips, but I cant seem to find an answer to this question. Which DOHC swap would give better HP, a Kia head swap or an Evo head swap?

Kia has a 56cc combustion chamber, and evo has a 43cc. So with kia you'll need custom pistons to get the right compression that you desire.
    2.4L - AWD - 5SPEED - PTE 6057 at __PSI w/Wavetrac LSD

Banned
    ^so basicaly, what you're saying is that the Evo head is simpler to do the swap in the sense that you are not forced to have to buy '"custom pistons" if you dont desire to do so. correct?

and the evo head being 43cc is already the ideal option?

well you dont HAVE to buy custom pistons, but it doesnt hurt if u plan on making gobs of power
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

Banned
    true, but you can still make "gobs of power" with the stock OEM evo pistons. And money can be better spent on actual power adders like cams, fuel injectors, TB, etc.
    Last edited by platano; 04-20-2009 at 04:48 PM

You are gonna need custom pistons wither way. You can't use stock evo one because they are smaller, but you won't need to make custom custom ones either.

evo is 85.5 bore, galant is 86.5mm bore. And you'd need to go .020" over to cleanup the cyl walls anyway. so you need new pistons to be 87mm. Now when you order pistons for the evo head you can actually pick out an evo part number and tell them you need them in 87mm diameter. But with HY/KIA heads you will need to figure out the dish size, valve pockets, stroke, compression and hope thats exactly what you'll get. Basicly to get the evo one it will be at least $125 cheaper.

blue8g
    if you run the kia/hyundai head you'll be at 8/9:1 compression evo head will be like 11:1, if i remember right....

Banned
    Goosey, i realized where you were going with your initial post. so i deleted my post prior to reading your latest one. but yeah, continue on w/ the thread..
    Last edited by platano; 04-20-2009 at 05:08 PM

blue8g
    i think you can run stock pistons, they'll just have messed compression, right???

Experienced TGC Member ZigenScarface's Avatar
    i dont think with just a head swap your going to have GOBS OF POWER either way.. try boosting ur car insted

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ZigenScarface View Post
    i dont think with just a head swap your going to have GOBS OF POWER either way.. try boosting ur car insted
    uh.....dude......that kinda' goes without saying. we are just talking about the actual Head swaps here. not the entire engine build.

blue8g
    what parts besides the head are necessary for the swap??

NEVERMIND FIGURED IT OUT
    Last edited by blue8g; 04-20-2009 at 05:57 PM

jlfisher360
    Im trying to search some salvage yards around my house here in NC. What year would the evo have to be in order to fit?

blue8g
    i think it just has to be any evo VIII right???

jlfisher360
    Thats what im thinking cause just about everyone on here and club 3g says evo 8, but once in a while someone says evo 6s and 7s. And I looked on ebay and found a kia head for about 399, but cant seem to find any evo heads cept through google, and theyre about 1299. Im still gonna go with the Evo head though because it seems to me like you get more for your money outta the evo head than the kia head.

blue8g
    i plan on using the kia head....

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Any EVO 8 head will work. The JDM EVO 4-7 heads will fit too, but you would need all their other BS too, intake mani (I think its different) thermostat housing, water pipe, etc I know those are different.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

basicly this info has been discussed way tooo many times. Please search club3g if you want to know EEverything

Quote Originally Posted by jlfisher360 View Post
    Thats what im thinking cause just about everyone on here and club 3g says evo 8, but once in a while someone says evo 6s and 7s. And I looked on ebay and found a kia head for about 399, but cant seem to find any evo heads cept through google, and theyre about 1299. Im still gonna go with the Evo head though because it seems to me like you get more for your money outta the evo head than the kia head.
    The Optima/Sonata head can run as low as $200 through www.car-part.com. Evo heads are good, but the Sonata can build as much power IMO. Just look at the Sonata-powered Evo 9 on www.toplevelperformance.net.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast