Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 32 of 32
    Experienced TGC Member ZigenScarface's Avatar
    shut up planto

blue8g
    dude what's wrong with you lately???

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boosted View Post
    The Optima/Sonata head can run as low as $200 through www.car-part.com. Evo heads are good, but the Sonata can build as much power IMO. Just look at the Sonata-powered Evo 9 on www.toplevelperformance.net.
    I know the owner of that car pretty well, your also talking about that motor having $5-6,000 worth of work into it. Its not a matter of building power, its a matter of investing the money in the right parts to be able to do it RIGHT.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

jlfisher360
    Read this on another forum:

desertsoldier22
    May 11 2005, 07:29 AM Post #2
    Group: Members
    Member No.: 9,762
    Drives: 2002 Eclipse GT

Heres the problem, the 4g63 was specifically designed to be a turbo motor the 4g64 was not. The 4g63 has Forged Pistons, billet aluminum rods and a better machined crank with better main bearings and rod bearings, almost every accessory on the engine has been beefed up, a 4g64 does not. A 4g64 also has higher compression ratio than the "63"
    so an uprade of the fuel system is a must and you'll have to use premium fuel. However the heads do fit and you can get a custom head gasket made, but the 4g63 turbo manifolds will fit on the 4g64 cylinder head so replacing the head is not needed.

So do you get the same gain if you just swap the manifold rather than swapping the whole head?

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    I know the owner of that car pretty well, your also talking about that motor having $5-6,000 worth of work into it. Its not a matter of building power, its a matter of investing the money in the right parts to be able to do it RIGHT.
    You would have to do the same with an Evo head to build that power too. Power isn't built on cheap ass Ebay company produced parts like Tsudo, Kamikaze, OBX, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Boosted View Post
    You would have to do the same with an Evo head to build that power too. Power isn't built on cheap ass Ebay company produced parts like Tsudo, Kamikaze, OBX, etc.
    I made 370whp on a stock EVO head with stock cams, purely stock top end. There are a ton of guys on EVOM running 400+whp on stock motors and just a set of cams and a turbo upgrade. ZEESHAN from club3g made 400whp on a junkyard stock 4G64 SOHC motor and the motor lived for over a year with him beating the snot out of it.

Everyone needs to really consider what their going to do with the car before buying parts. Knowing what I know now, if I only wanted to make 350whp or so, I would have left the stock SOHC motor in the car, swapped to a MLS headgasket and headstuds, a good turbo setup, injectors/pump and a good engine management system.

So with that being said, there is no right or wrong answer until the person in question thoroughly considers their goals and intentions for the car.

And regarding ebay parts...I know that. I just spent $4k on a new tranny setup and $1500 on a new turbo manifold and downpipe. When your trying to do everything perfect, you will dump alot of money into it. Again knowing what I know now, I would have started off with an 8g that was dented up and a blown motor, that would have been a much better starting point for me.
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by jlfisher360 View Post
    Read this on another forum:

desertsoldier22
    May 11 2005, 07:29 AM Post #2
    Group: Members
    Member No.: 9,762
    Drives: 2002 Eclipse GT

Heres the problem, the 4g63 was specifically designed to be a turbo motor the 4g64 was not. The 4g63 has Forged Pistons, billet aluminum rods and a better machined crank with better main bearings and rod bearings, almost every accessory on the engine has been beefed up, a 4g64 does not. A 4g64 also has higher compression ratio than the "63"
    so an uprade of the fuel system is a must and you'll have to use premium fuel. However the heads do fit and you can get a custom head gasket made, but the 4g63 turbo manifolds will fit on the 4g64 cylinder head so replacing the head is not needed.

So do you get the same gain if you just swap the manifold rather than swapping the whole head?
    this guy is an ass-hat. The reason to do the DOHC headswap is for greater power potential as the motor is more efficient. It also opens the doors for more readily available performance parts like cams, which are designed for an EVO.

The 4G63 does not have aluminum rods from the factory, in face the EVO rods are the same part# as the 4G64 rods, same exact rod. The EVO crank isnt even nitride coated, neither is the 4G64 crank, so nobody can say one is weaker or better machined, tolerances are tolerances, they machine it to within spec and thats it. When I built my EVO motor I actually used a 2g DSM 7 bolt crank because it comes from the factory nitride hardened and the EVO's dont.

Just be careful who's advice you take regarding performance mods. There are many people here and on club3g that know whats up. I gave up on taking advice from the V6 eclipse guys because they always "talk down" to me because I dont have a V6, so pretty much they hate.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

jlfisher360
    +1, Well said.

blue8g
    nice post!

im making over 300whp turbo on ALL STOCK MOTOR How long will it last.. who knows ive been boosted for over a year and I boosted my car with 120k on it. I have a some namebrand parts and then some no name brand stuff. I think its all about the install THE TUNING!!!! and being realistic.. people will tell you a million different things about no do this do that and at the end of the day they have not done anything major to their cars. I say set a plan and execute.. your driving your car not anybody else. if it sucks hey at least u did it, experienced it and drove it.. i see guys with boosted g's pushing crazy psi and still dont make the power my shitty stock G makes..
    Wars come and go but my soldiers stay eternal...

4g64turbo
    for what i can see 90% is in THE TUNING!!!!

I been boosted for a long time now. Tunned at 11.3afr with 18psi. I drive the car hard all the time and i get 20mpg while still beating the shit out of it. In the end it all comes down to finding boost leaks and tunning. Of cource you should never neglect your engine management platform. SAFC 1/2, f-conn, emanage are all very useless parts as they'll never be able to control the engine the way a normal ecu would. A good tunner is a must. Not the one that would put you right on a dyno, charge $400, spend 1 hour and call it tits (Like Sean Ivey). Honostly with everything i've tried to do to my Original engine, i wouldn't recommend anyone doing the headswap unless you are really sure you want to turbo it and try to make 350+whp.
    2.4L - AWD - 5SPEED - PTE 6057 at __PSI w/Wavetrac LSD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12