The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Corrosion? salt stains?

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Corrosion? salt stains?

So I just took my rims out of winter storage, I did not clean them before i put them into storage for winter. So i'm putting them on since its spring now, and I notice white stains that looks like little spiderweb like patterns on my machined lip. I try scrathcing it off but the bastard wont budge. Is this corrosion or salt stains? someone told me it might be, what is this from? and how did it get on my rim when my rims were sitting in my basement all winter? and how do I get rid of it? please help!! Should I clean my rims before putting them into storage next time?

I never cleaned my rims when I put my car into winter storage and she came out fine a picture would help try a tooth brush and some strong cleaning material

Quote Originally Posted by 03-Galant-ES View Post
    I never cleaned my rims when I put my car into winter storage and she came out fine a picture would help try a tooth brush and some strong cleaning material
    that right there are the two things I wouldn't do.

first of all of course you should clean your wheels or anything of value that you want to store. who knows what kinda of corrosive chemicals can be on your wheels before you store them. and the fact that they will sit there all winter doesn't help.

secondly, before your break out the harsh chemicals, i'd try something less harsh. many times the discoloration is just on the top layer of the clear coat so using some polish or some compound on the wheels might clear things up.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

You need some Never Dull.

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6 View Post
    that right there are the two things I wouldn't do.

first of all of course you should clean your wheels or anything of value that you want to store. who knows what kinda of corrosive chemicals can be on your wheels before you store them. and the fact that they will sit there all winter doesn't help.

secondly, before your break out the harsh chemicals, i'd try something less harsh. many times the discoloration is just on the top layer of the clear coat so using some polish or some compound on the wheels might clear things up.
    I meant like a strong wheel cleaner and a tooth brush not like engine degreaser all thought I have used degreaser before its not preferable. Yeah I didn't get a chance to clean my car I normally do before I store this year was messed up.

Its hard to tell what the "stain" might actually be without a picture.
    But with out really seeing it I would first make sure its not some kind of junk that could be removed by a bug and tar remover first.
    If it cant be removed by a bug and tar remover then it is probably something causing the clear coat to crack up. If thats the case go out and get your self a good rim polish and one of those mother power balls that you hook up to a drill gun. They work really good for polishing the wheels. I actually have the one that is made by the black magic company, it works better for tight detail spots on the rims.
    Keep in mind, if it is the clear coat cracking it will never fully disapear. The cracks will always be there from now on, but by polishing it you can attempt to cover it up a bit. (elliminate the white stain possably)