The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Obd 2 sensor keeps throwing p0170 fuel trim malfunction

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19

Obd 2 sensor keeps throwing p0170 fuel trim malfunction

I own a 1998 2.4L 4g64 galant and it keeps spitting out this code even after I searced it on the web and in my book. I replaced the front 02 sensor MAF sensor and tuneup,engine coolant temp sensor,Iac motor,etc distrib,plugs and wires cap and rotor,everything i COULD TRACE TO THAT EVEN THE ECU and no luck,no vaccum lines or exhaust leaks either. Its bugging the shit out of me and advice to what to do next. Thanks!

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    if you just replaced all that it might take a while for the computer to recognize its fixed.. drive it for a while and if it doesnt go off then there is an issue.. also check for air leaks around the MAS and stuff like that as that causes this code 2
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Diagnose these areas:

- There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAP sensor(96-98 7g's have a MAP sensor on top of the intake manifold)
    - Defective or contaminated MAF sensor
    - Intake vacuum leak
    - Dirty fuel filter

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Quote Originally Posted by 4-G-rim View Post
    Diagnose these areas:

- There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAP sensor(96-98 7g's have a MAP sensor on top of the intake manifold)
    - Defective or contaminated MAF sensor
    - Intake vacuum leak
    - Dirty fuel filter
    kev he says the MAS is new on he replced almost everything so i think theres a leak somewhere and i have a feeling its on the intake
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Quote Originally Posted by minionseals View Post
    I own a 1998 2.4L 4g64 galant and it keeps spitting out this code even after I searced it on the web and in my book. I replaced the front 02 sensor MAF sensor and tuneup,engine coolant temp sensor,Iac motor,etc distrib,plugs and wires cap and rotor,everything i COULD TRACE TO THAT EVEN THE ECU and no luck,no vaccum lines or exhaust leaks either. Its bugging the shit out of me and advice to what to do next. Thanks!
    did you delete the code every time you change a part, or you just swapped the part and waited until the code disappears by itself. You may want to consider pulling the positive battery terminal and let the ecu reset
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

mko thats wut im saying.. if he hasnt drivien it at all since he swapped the partts the ecu hasnt registered that anything has change so he can either drive it and it will either go off or not or reset it and c is it comes back
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    i cosign on that Galanttuner10

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

I already have driven it several times since I changed that. I checked for exhaust leakes before the o2 sensor,and evn changed out the exhaust manifold gasket. I delete the code and it comes back like every 50 miles or so.

has to be a leak somewhere then.. clean the MAS just in case it got dirty somehow and recheck everything is tight and secure
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

Quote Originally Posted by minionseals View Post
    I already have driven it several times since I changed that. I checked for exhaust leakes before the o2 sensor,and evn changed out the exhaust manifold gasket. I delete the code and it comes back like every 50 miles or so.
    The description of the code says: Fuel trim malfunction bank 1. you have you answer right there. Front /up-stream/ o2 sensor is probably bad. That means youre running lean or rich and whatever the ECu does to compensate, it is not read by the O2 sensor. i know you said you replaced it, but what kind of O2 sensor did you use - OEM mistu, OEM replacement or universal 02 sensor. Did you touch the top of the sensor, if you did it will foul the readings. If you got universal sensor, did you make sure you wired it correctly? Clean the connectors with some electronic part cleaner.

i have similar problem, but the OBD1.5 just says its the front O2 sensor. And if i delete it it comes back on after some driving. i got one of these universal ones and I have solder the wires, so im not very happy with it

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Galanttuner10 View Post
    kev he says the MAS is new on he replced almost everything so i think theres a leak somewhere and i have a feeling its on the intake

if its on the intake it has to be after the MAS and before the TB

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    if its on the intake it has to be after the MAS and before the TB
    if it is a leak thats wut im thinking
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

I checked for leaks and seems to be fine. Replaced all vaccum hoses,pcv valves,cleaned mass reset ecu,and codes back on,wtf?

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Did you replace the fuel filter?

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Yes i replaces the fuel filter.Even if it was a leak somewhere before the first o2 sensor why would the fuel trim malfunction be affected by exhaust gases.

cuz this is how the ecu determines the air / fuel ratio. it takes signals from tps, MAS, intake temp..... and when the mixture bunrs the o2 sensor sends a feedback to the ecu. if the feedback voltage doesnt match the voltage the ecu was programmed to have with such and such inputs, it throws a code

Build Thread

I have one more question. So. I go out today and open my driver rear passenger door and now it won't latch shut. I sprayed some lithim grease on it and the latch will not lock down over the part it grabs to when you shut it,tried messing with the locks,handle inside and out side no luck,pulled it off and tunbolted the three star screws that hod the lath in place in the door ,It was dark so I will try looking at it today. Any tips and if not How can I keep the door close till I find a cure,tape does'nt look good and the door is a saftey hazzard,because it could fly open while driveing and cause a wreck.this is my ownly means of transportation. Thanks guys for your help and don'tr mean to bug you!

ok, make sure you put that latching piece with the star screws where it was originally. then there are 2 or 3 bolts on each door hinge/2 hinges total/. get these bolts loose. that will allow you to move the door up and down.. then shut the door closed /youll have to lift it a bit/ and retighten the hinge bolts

Build Thread

I think you misunderstood me. It is the dooe latch mechinism that does not latch. when you close the door it does not latch to keep door close. Any sugestions. I really have no knowledge whith the door latches assemblie and how it works.