The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: car stalls or tries to stall

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10
    mikevsop

car stalls or tries to stall

I have a 2000 Galant ES 4 cyl. and have been having a problem with the car stalling or trying to stall when it is in drive and it's not moving. I can feel it when I am at a red light it has gotten to the point when I can feel exactly when to throw the car it neutral before its stalls out at the light. I brought it to the dealership because it's under warranty and they said they can't find a thing wrong with it. I was thinking maybe a bad fuel pump or a dirty injector.
    Any Ideas anyone? The wrench swingers at my dealership just ain't helpen any.
    Thanks for any help.

Senior TGC Member
    Hmmm I'm gonna guess either it's having fuel delivery problems like you said or that the throttle body needs some cleaning.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

I think it could be your spark plugs too.......Maybe they are misfiring.....
    2001 Galant ES I4
    Injen RD CAI
    Kamikaze Headers
    Brospeed Prosport Muffler
    Brembo X-drilled/Slotted Rotors
    Progress Springs
    KYB AGX Adjustables
    Racing X Headlights
    Smoked Tails
    Custom Grill
    Titanium Limo Tint
    MOMO Shift Knob
    Tenzo R Mean-6 18"
    JBL 600.1
    2 JL 12W3 D4 in topfire custom box

My ride: http://photos.yahoo.com/nrg_neo

Time for some regular maintenance. If it doesn't throw an SES light, there's not much a dealer can do for you. As others have suggested, do the obvious first like cleaning out the throttle body, check/change/fill spark plugs, oil & filter, ATF & filter, air filter all as needed. I know my ride sometimes idles very low too and will almost stall out if I don't keep my foot slightly on the gas at a stop (once in a long while this happens). Which reminds me... time for another oil change and probably due for a K&N recharge on the air filter.

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

mikevsop

CAR "STILL"STALLING OR TRYING TO STALL

I CLEANED OUT THE THROTTLE BODY, CHECKED THE PLUGS, FILTER ETC. AND I AM STILL HAVEING THE SAME PROBLEMS ANY OTHER IDEAS PEOPLEZ :? :? I'AM JUST SHORT OF BANGING MY HEAD AGAINST THE WALL..

i had the same problem about 6 months ago, i didn't do anything to it and it just went a way, haven't had it try to stall yet, ( knock on wood) I have the exact same year and model as you do

Lee
    Team TGCLV

BlueESV6
    Just a wild guess but bad gas maybe?? or in the north... water in gas?? maybe you want to try some gas dryer?.... just a thought

99GalantES
    I have a Weapon R intake. When I first got it, it wasn't secured well and the filter came off along with the MAF (mass air-flow sensor) anyway it made the car hesitate and die a few times because the computer wasn't accuratly measuring the amount of air going in.

In other words you might want to check the MAF to make sure it isn't bad or that you don't have a leak in the intake.

yeah, i had the same problem... i went to a higher premium gas, changed my coil packs, spark plug wires, and checked the spark plugs. my car hasnt stalled since.

I had that prob. when i replaced my battery, the delaer said that the computer in the car lost memoryand threw the sensors off and when i put the new battery in and started the computer thought it was a new car. so they reset the computer and no prob. since, $25 to reset it.
    SportBike Powder Coating
    "Not Just Bikes"

[email protected]
    Photos
    http://www.photobucket.com/sportbikepowdrcoating