The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Tire size question for Altima

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

Tire size question for Altima

I have a friend of mine who has a Nissan Altima 05. He has put on the stock rims from a Nissan (not sure which model), but it came mounted with 225/45/17 tires. He wants to change the tires to a slightly higher profile tire namely 215/55/17. Does anyone know or can confirm if this size can fit on the rim, or how we can go about finding out what sizes of tires can fit on his rims? All we know is that it's from a Nissan and it's 17".

The 2005 Altimas used the second size you mentioned (215/55R17). The Nissan that used the size that you first mentioned is the Nissan Sentra SE-R. If a 225 fits the wheel, a 215 will fit the wheel.

Thanks Red. That's what I needed to hear. So can you also elaborate a bit for my understanding, the relation between a 225/45 and a 215/55 and how you can actually make sure they fit, is there a mathematical formula or something? Sorry, but just trying to learn the differences.

the first number, 225, is the tire width, the second number is the height to width ratio. the number is 45 so its 45% of 225 mm.

Quote Originally Posted by tamim13 View Post
    Thanks Red. That's what I needed to hear. So can you also elaborate a bit for my understanding, the relation between a 225/45 and a 215/55 and how you can actually make sure they fit, is there a mathematical formula or something? Sorry, but just trying to learn the differences.
    Lets start with breaking down the tire size:

215 = Tire width.

55 = Tire profile (sidewall height).

17 = Wheel Diameter.

--------------------------------------------

Well, yea...there is a formula. Using the 215 as the example (being the factory Altima size) this is what we'd have.

215 divided by 25.4 (1.0" inches) equals 8.46" in tire width.

225 divided by 25.4 (1.0" inches) equals 8.85" in tire width.

This is measured from sidewall to sidewall, not the actual tire tread width. Now considering the factory wheels (both from Nissan) are most likely the same actual wheel width (17x7" or 17x6.5") you are within the optimal specs in wheel width for the 215, and a touch on the skinny side for the 225 (on the 6.5" wheel).

Not to get to technical, but the ACTUAL wheel width of a 17x6.5" wheel will be 7.5" wide. The 'bead' (where the tire and wheel mount together) is .5" wide on each side of the wheel. The actual lip to lip diameter of the wheel is 18".

The following formula (as above) gets you the tire's width, you can use any number to replace the 215 shown.

215 / 25.4 = 8.46"

To get the tire's overall diameter you can continue using the next formula.

8.46" x .55 (tire profile) = 4.65"

The above is your sidewall height. Continuing...

4.65 x 2 (above and below the wheel) + 17 (wheel diameter) = 26.31"

Hope that isn't too long or confusing...and hope it helps!

^^ Wow, that's some great information. Thanks a lot Red. So from what I'm understanding, even though the tire width and profile might change, it's the bead that makes is possible to mount on the same rims, right? Do the tires have a bead too, or is that rim specific? Or am I confused?

What my friend found out is, that his new rims are from a Nissan Altima 3.5L 2007 model, again after reading around they are supposed to come with 215/55/17. Costco says that they will not install 215/55/17s on his car, because the car didn't come stock with the rims. But they do agree to install 225/45/17s as they are already on the rims (they say it's a safety hazard). So I'm thinking of ordering the tires from tirerack and then getting it mounted and balanced independently. What do you think?

^^ Wow, that's some great information. Thanks a lot Red. So from what I'm understanding, even though the tire width and profile might change, it's the bead that makes is possible to mount on the same rims, right? Do the tires have a bead too, or is that rim specific? Or am I confused?
    There is a tire bead, and a wheel bead. Those two beads are 'joined' for lack of a better term to create the seal to hold air inside the tire when mounted on a wheel. Maybe this picture will help. (NOTE: You should see where it says "bead seat" that is where the tire's bead will well...sit).

What my friend found out is, that his new rims are from a Nissan Altima 3.5L 2007 model, again after reading around they are supposed to come with 215/55/17. Costco says that they will not install 215/55/17s on his car, because the car didn't come stock with the rims. But they do agree to install 225/45/17s as they are already on the rims (they say it's a safety hazard). So I'm thinking of ordering the tires from tirerack and then getting it mounted and balanced independently. What do you think?
    I think CostCo is full of it, and I'm not quite sure why anyone ever considers buying tires from a grocery store. That would be like getting advice on how to write from someone that doesn't know how, its just well...stupid.

Go to a independent shop, they will happily mount the correct size tires on the wheels, and put on the vehicle. Especially considering that even in 2005 the Altima 3.5 SE used 215/55R17s, and the wheels (as you state) came off a Nissan Altima, there shouldn't be any question.

The only way it would be a 'safety hazard' is if the wheels themselves are damaged for some reason, be they cracked, bent, or otherwise unable to safely hold air.

And if you are going to order online, try these guys, great prices, offer road hazard, and fast shipping: www.TireDeals4Less.com ( www.TD4L.com ).

I don't see the pic, did you upload it, or is something wrong with my settings?

You're right about CostCo, and I wouldn't buy from them either. But they do have some good deals on Michelins, and most of the guys I work with swear by Michelins only.

The link to the tire place, are those tire brands good? I was contemplating getting the General Altimax HP for myself, they have some really good reviews for such a good price. Do you know anything about them?

I don't see the pic, did you upload it, or is something wrong with my settings?
    I'll try just linking it. http://www.buicks.net/shop/images/wheelsecton.jpg

You're right about CostCo, and I wouldn't buy from them either. But they do have some good deals on Michelins, and most of the guys I work with swear by Michelins only.
    Michelins aren't ONLY availible at Costco. Go to a independent like Discount Tire, or even a local chain that would be much more professional and better quality than a Costco.

The link to the tire place, are those tire brands good? I was contemplating getting the General Altimax HP for myself, they have some really good reviews for such a good price. Do you know anything about them?
    General, Continental, Toyo are all nice brands. General has in the past year had several top rated tires in consumer reports. Toyo has been consistently rated #1 in overall brand quality by Tire Review Magazine for nearly a decade straight.

What do you want to know about the General Altimax HP?

Whoops when I try to access the link -
    You are trying to access files which you do not have permission to. You are probably following a link from a pirate site which is in copyright violation.

The information has been recorded.

About the general altimax, I'm trying to figure out if it's a good long lasting tire and good on wet and dry roads with light to medium snow as well. Also a very important consideration is if it's quiet. I'm really fed up of my really LOUD tires that I have on currently.

And Red, thanks a lot for taking the time out to answer all my questions. Really appreciate it!

Whoops when I try to access the link -
    You are trying to access files which you do not have permission to. You are probably following a link from a pirate site which is in copyright violation.

The information has been recorded.

About the general altimax, I'm trying to figure out if it's a good long lasting tire and good on wet and dry roads with light to medium snow as well. Also a very important consideration is if it's quiet. I'm really fed up of my really LOUD tires that I have on currently.

And Red, thanks a lot for taking the time out to answer all my questions. Really appreciate it!
    I think the General is a great value, sure there are tires that may be better all around but the General will be hard to beat for the money IMO. It does have a 60,000 mile treadlife warranty, which is fantastic for a performance rated tire like it is. I've not really heard that many complaints for my customers, and I've not seen but a handful for warrantable conditions (though decidedly most are from road hazards).

Red, I need your help again to decide on what tires to go for. After your suggestions, I have come down the following choices -

Toyo Proxes 4 -
    http://www.tiredeals4less.com/TOYO_P..._94V_P1972.cfm

Toyo Versado LX -
    http://www.tiredeals4less.com/TOYO_V..._91H_P4237.cfm

General Altimax HP -
    http://www.tiredeals4less.com/GENERA...16_9_P4083.cfm
    or
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=2

Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position -
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....1=yes&place=86

Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....1=yes&place=98

The Bridgestones and Michelins are a lot more expensive than the rest, but currently Michelin is having a $60 rebate offer and so are the Generals. I'm leaning toward the Toyos after reading the rave reviews of them. So basically I'm looking for a quiet tire, good for a spirited DD on a 8g i4 (so I believe an H rated is enough). My tire size is 205/55/16 89H at the moment.

I would throw out the Bridgestones right off the bat. The Toyo Proxes 4s will have the best overall performance, but you don't get as much usability for all season conditions. I would suggest either the General Altimax HP or Toyo Versado LX (leaning to the Toyo's from experience).

Have you thought about running 225/50R16s (I have this size on my GTZ factory wheels) instead of 205/55R16s?

Thanks a lot Red, I think I will end up going for the Versados then.

on your suggestion of going for 225s that would mean I would have a wider tire right, from what you had told me earlier. What's the overall benefit of that actually? More stability?

Thanks a lot Red, I think I will end up going for the Versados then.

on your suggestion of going for 225s that would mean I would have a wider tire right, from what you had told me earlier. What's the overall benefit of that actually? More stability?
    The general rule is that the wider the tire the better the traction (more rubber to the pavement). The real overall benefit yes, would be better spirited driving stability.